News:

• April 30, 2024, 09:21:23 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Zinc Sterate over polyspan/silkspan  (Read 1541 times)

Offline Bob Reeves

• 2016 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
    • Somethin'Xtra Inc.
Zinc Sterate over polyspan/silkspan
« on: February 12, 2009, 02:48:27 AM »
Would some of you that use this stuff (zinc sterate) please post the details on exactly how you mix, apply etc..

I have not had very good luck using it over Carbon as I already posted. My new ship is a combination of Polyspan, carbon and silkspan over plastic.. The carbon on the fuselage is in fairly good shape (fill wise) using corn starch and I have 4 coats of clear on everything else.

Instead of just continuing the drudgery of a million coats of clear to fill the Polyspan and silkspan I'm thinking of going with a coat of the zinc stuff. Do you spray it, brush it.. apply it over open bays as well as wood? Any and all details would be appreciated..

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Zinc Sterate over polyspan/silkspan
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2009, 08:47:55 AM »
Bob, on the poly span that I have used I did not use any  filler until I had at least enough clear dope to get kind of a sheen to the surface, about 6 coats.  Then I did very little sanding with 200 & 400 paper.  The edges and overlaps is where I piled on the filler, still talc and dope.  I tried the corn starch on my P-39 and did not like the results.  Maybe I need to try it again with less corn starch.  I mixed it up to a milky like substance.  Having fun,  DOC Holliday
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2009, 12:34:42 PM »
Read the article in the latest Stunt News (if you have access to it). Pete Peterson does a pretty good job of step by stepping this. He mixes the zinc sterate with thinner then with dope. I've seen his planes at it obviously works pretty well.
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Bob Reeves

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Somethin'Xtra Inc.
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2009, 08:58:01 AM »
Thanks guys but no help.. I won't be able to read the Stunt News article for some time and can't wait.. Besides even though Pete is a master finisher, as we all know what works for one doesn't necessarily work for someone else and I may not have whatever stuff he uses.

Offline RandySmith

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
    • Aero Products
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2009, 09:58:20 AM »
Hi Bob
Don't try too use any filler over polyspan untill you get at least 3 or 4 coats of clear dope, I recomend spraying this only to keep it on top and the same thickenss, if you sand before that it will fuzz and you will have lots of greif, After your surface,all over is sealed and sanded flat, I use it this way,use the ZS filler mixed up in a qt jar 1/4 thinner 1/4 full unthinned dope, mix in 4 heaping tablespoons ZS, mix this as well as you can, stir shake, then fill the qt jar all the way up with the balanced of unthinned clear, put about 4 or 5 drops of black paint in it so you get a light grey.
pour off 4 ounces or so in your spray gun...I use a dedicated cheap qt gun that I only use for filler, thin it 100%..ie 5 ounces ZS dope 5 oz thinner, spray it over the entire airframe. let it dry and look for bad spots or grain.. brush full strenght ZS filler only over the bad spots, let it dry then sand off the entire airframe, It sand better than anything I have ever used, I use 400 grit gold paper 3M. It takes me 30 min. to sand a complete SV size plane.
Block sand everywhere as much as possible, Do not sand into the paper or polyspan deep enough to cause fuzz.
At this point I spray the entire airframe again. if there are still grain and bad spots brush full strenght filler over only the bad spots and  repeat the sanding and spray another coat. You will have the lightest filled surface of anything I have ever used. and I have tried  everything!
If you have really bad spots to fill  you can use a thick filler only on bad spots and put ZS sealer over that.
The ZS filler/sealer is more like a thick sanding sealer rather than a filler. Also on the last sprayed coat of the ZS filler you can sand lightly to just know off any bumps and use it as a grey base to put the color over.
Need more info let me know.

Regards
Randy

Offline Bob Reeves

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Somethin'Xtra Inc.
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2009, 11:04:29 AM »
Randy, Thank you, thank you.. I have 5 heavy coats of dope on the Polyspan and have lightly sanded between the 3rd,4th and 5th.. No fuzz so far and waiting till the 5th coat drys.. Have a Jar of your ZS and was hoping it could shorten the steps to getting the polyspan filled.. Will follow your directions...

Thanks

Offline RandySmith

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
    • Aero Products
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2009, 11:23:14 AM »
Randy, Thank you, thank you.. I have 5 heavy coats of dope on the Polyspan and have lightly sanded between the 3rd,4th and 5th.. No fuzz so far and waiting till the 5th coat drys.. Have a Jar of your ZS and was hoping it could shorten the steps to getting the polyspan filled.. Will follow your directions...

Thanks

Hi Bob

If you have it filled  spray the  ZS filler now, no problems with that, and spraying will keep it smooth and thin, keep in mind that you will not even normally need to spray the fillets and  corners, the dope/filler  will collect there anyway

let me know how  this is going

Randy

Offline Bob Reeves

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Somethin'Xtra Inc.
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2009, 05:29:25 AM »
Boy Randy, you are sure right about the weight.. I weighed the airframe before and after spraying.. Waited till it was just dry enough to handle so it hadn't had time to really dry.. It added 9/10 of an ounce which will probably be cut in half after it's dry and sanded.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here