News:

• April 27, 2024, 01:26:30 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Yellow over blue for flames?  (Read 1047 times)

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Yellow over blue for flames?
« on: August 17, 2023, 07:28:53 PM »
Doing a recover on my El Diablo will be doing the wing base blue with the yellow trim flames. Now when I did the original it was blue silk with the clear coat then did the yellow. I sprayed a yellow in a ban along the leading edge then hand painted the flames. This time the blue will be paint and then do a rough the flames to with a pattern and hand paint the final shape. Anyone got a better approach?

Best,    DennisT

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Yellow over blue for flames?
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2023, 09:24:18 AM »
Another though is to spay the yellow trim band along the leading edge, then spray the blue area then after is dries a few days clear dope over the blue to seal it, then hand paint the flames over the clear dope. This might keep the yellow from smearing the blue with the brush. I think this might work.

Best,   DennisT

Offline PerttiMe

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2023, 12:13:36 PM »
Would the yellow going over the blue end up being the same color as the yellow that goes on first? Does it cover that well?
I built a Blue Pants as a kid. Wish I still had it. Might even learn to fly it.

Offline kevin king

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2023, 01:05:36 AM »
if you have 2 different colors under the yellow, it will not match. I would cut a mask for the flames, spray a coat of silver or white on first, and then spray the yellow. Doing a test first is a good idea.

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2023, 12:41:51 PM »
Well, it's ready for the flames to be added. This is a simple one color flame job normally done freehand with a stripping brush.

Problem: I did a test on the bottom and dam, as soon as the brush touched to blue is started to smear. Its been drying for 4 days so I thought it would be a little more stable, not so.

Options I can think of are to clear the wing a couple coats then add the flames (I am not confident to do airbrush work) or try to make a mask from wide tape laid out on glass then transfer. The second option is a lot of work for Old Time but may be the only way to cover without a mess. I may need to spay some silver over the blue to give the same base as the original yellow, will test how good the yellow covers.

Anyone got any other ideas?

Offline Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2023, 07:31:29 PM »
With modern dope you CANNOT brush one color over another.  The new color will ALWAYS dissolve the base coat.  You MUST use an air brush or rattle cans.

I learned this when I tried to hand paint a scale model 20 years ago.  So buy  a compressor at Harbor and get an air brush.

While we're on the subject, red & yellow color dope is transparent and must be applied over a white base coat.

Try it.  You'll like it.  Or else just do monochromatic work.
Paul Smith

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2023, 02:16:12 PM »
I decided to put a coat of clear over the whole thing and a bit extra where the flame tips will get added. My hope is the clear with prevent the yellow from smearing the blue. I used the Certified Clear Butyrate #1690, it is really crystal clear and pretty thick in the can. I thinned it 60/40 an added a touch of retarder. It sprayed from the Preval Spray System very clean and doing it in the shop with the box window fan kept the humidity low, comes out pretty shinney for just spraying it on. I'll let this gas-off a few days then try adding a flame tip to the bottom. If it doesn't work out I'll just mask off straight lines and that will have to do.

Best,   DennisT

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2023, 10:49:40 AM »
Winner!! The clear dope (2 sprayed coats) over the blue did the trick. I was able to add the flame tips on one wing panel without smears. The yellow I used was just what I had setup for the Preval sprayer so it was quit thin and even with the high amount of thinner and retarder it was fine. I have a small amount with the lid open to gas off some of the thinner and get better coverage with the brush. But at least it goes on.

Best,   DennisT

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2023, 08:52:40 AM »
Ok, started on the bottom and did the freehand flame tips first coat. They went on fine as you would expect with thin dope over a darker color and will need a few more coats, much like it needed over the blue silk. I have a small jar of yellow with an once or so of dope from the spray bottle that was thinned for spraying that I am letting gas off and thicken to reduce the number of coats since you can't just flood it on. Hope this will allow two coats and done.

Best,    DennisT

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here