News:

• May 10, 2024, 10:57:04 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: YEE HAAA!!! Gladiator in final prime!  (Read 1845 times)

Offline Randy Ryan

• AMA Member
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
YEE HAAA!!! Gladiator in final prime!
« on: March 04, 2009, 05:20:09 PM »
Well, I've fianlly made it, COLOR THIS WEEKEND!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Wheel pants are still a holdup but I think I finally have the tools (molds) workable. I've developed a really cheap way of doing this, I'll share it all with pictures when I've got it all together.

Randy Ryan <><
AMA 8500
SAM 36 BO all my own M's

Offline Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: YEE HAAA!!! Gladiator in final prime!
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2009, 07:03:07 PM »
Randy:
That looks REALLY good so far.   H^^

So the canopy comes off, is that the Lipo BATTERY hatch???   ???  LL~ (OK so I'm naive..)

Keep those pix coming my friend!

Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

As I've grown older, I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake!

Offline Randy Ryan

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2009, 07:17:36 PM »
Thanks Dennis!

Actually the hatch gives me access to the bellcrank. All my control systems are adjustable so I can very rate, differential, deflection and flap/elevator bias. Some say its overkill, but I like being able to push the limits both directions and finding that sweet spot. I've set up my Nobler so I can go to zero deflection so I can experiment with the flaps.
Randy Ryan <><
AMA 8500
SAM 36 BO all my own M's

Offline Allan Perret

• Admiral
  • Proverbs
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2009, 07:24:27 PM »
I am shooting trim colors on a Chevelle right now,  that design has a removable cockpit over the flap horn.  I liked the feature so much that I'm adding it to an Olympic which I just started.  Never thought of expanding it to go over the bellcrank.  That's a good idea.  I like accessability. 
What is you source for that blue foam?
Allan Perret
AMA 302406
Slidell, Louisiana

Offline Randy Ryan

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2009, 07:57:01 PM »
I'll post a picture when I pull the masking. My bellcrank arrangements are a little different then what you normally see, They allow a full range of adjustments to the flaps and elevators independently.

Blue foam? Are you refering to the foan block in the picture? That's blue foam rubber, it was a leg rest from when my wife had the hip replacment. I cut it up into blocls to set the models on while I sand and prep for paint, it keeps the rudder and tips from getting dragged over the bench and damaged.
Randy Ryan <><
AMA 8500
SAM 36 BO all my own M's

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2009, 09:22:34 PM »
I've used the removable hatch as canopy idea before (though it's been awhile). Works well if the fuse near the tailing edge is sufficiently reinforced. Looks really good. Can't wait to see the final paint.
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Clint Ormosen

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2009, 03:55:49 AM »
Can't wait to see the finished product, Randy. I suppose it's going to have your usual super duper electrifying can't believe that's actually possible mirror shine on it, right?
-Clint-

AMA 559593
Finding new and innovated ways to screw up the pattern since 1993

Offline Allan Perret

• Admiral
  • Proverbs
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2009, 06:44:30 AM »
I'll post a picture when I pull the masking. My bellcrank arrangements are a little different then what you normally see, They allow a full range of adjustments to the flaps and elevators independently.

Blue foam? Are you refering to the foan block in the picture? That's blue foam rubber, it was a leg rest from when my wife had the hip replacment. I cut it up into blocls to set the models on while I sand and prep for paint, it keeps the rudder and tips from getting dragged over the bench and damaged.

Yea, I was thinking it was a rigid type of foam that could be used to make a moulding buck for LE's or turtle decks. 
On your canopy, I like the way you used the tab on the front to eliminate the screw.   How did you go about getting a good fit on that compound curve interface between canopy and fuse.  Did you happen to take any pictures of that detail during the build?   When you take pictures after its done,  would like to see a close up of the fit.
Allan Perret
AMA 302406
Slidell, Louisiana

Offline Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2009, 10:29:06 AM »
I still think that would make a great battery hatch.  I'm still trying to figure out why he added a glow plug hole for the Axi???!  ??? ;)  LL~  LL~  LL~
Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

As I've grown older, I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake!

Offline Randy Ryan

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2009, 11:00:07 AM »
I still think that would make a great battery hatch.  I'm still trying to figure out why he added a glow plug hole for the Axi???!  ??? ;)  LL~  LL~  LL~

Its water cooled, that's the radiator drain hole!
Randy Ryan <><
AMA 8500
SAM 36 BO all my own M's

Offline Randy Ryan

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2009, 02:58:00 PM »
Can't wait to see the finished product, Randy. I suppose it's going to have your usual super duper electrifying can't believe that's actually possible mirror shine on it, right?

Well Clint, that's the plan, but if the humidity stays high, maybe I'll do more of and etched glass finish!
Randy Ryan <><
AMA 8500
SAM 36 BO all my own M's

Offline Randy Ryan

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2009, 04:45:27 PM »
Yea, I was thinking it was a rigid type of foam that could be used to make a moulding buck for LE's or turtle decks. 
On your canopy, I like the way you used the tab on the front to eliminate the screw.   How did you go about getting a good fit on that compound curve interface between canopy and fuse.  Did you happen to take any pictures of that detail during the build?   When you take pictures after its done,  would like to see a close up of the fit.

Allan,

When I made the canopy section removable I laid out the cut line then carefully cut the section out with a small Exacto saw blade. The curf was approximatley 1/32" I then edges both sides of the cutout with 1/64 plywood and added the retention features. I screwed it down and then lightly brought it back to the contour of the fuse top.
Randy Ryan <><
AMA 8500
SAM 36 BO all my own M's

Offline Tom Niebuhr

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2009, 02:55:58 AM »
Looking good Randy.

Is this the same Gladiator that you showed when you talked about Dad's stripper?

AMA 7544

Offline Randy Ryan

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2009, 06:03:07 AM »
Looking good Randy.

Is this the same Gladiator that you showed when you talked about Dad's stripper?

Yes Tom, it is.
Randy Ryan <><
AMA 8500
SAM 36 BO all my own M's

Offline Allan Perret

• Admiral
  • Proverbs
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2009, 07:33:25 AM »
Allan,

When I made the canopy section removable I laid out the cut line then carefully cut the section out with a small Exacto saw blade. The curf was approximatley 1/32" I then edges both sides of the cutout with 1/64 plywood and added the retention features. I screwed it down and then lightly brought it back to the contour of the fuse top.
Not that it makes any difference, just curious.  The fuse top block where you cut out the canopy, was it a hollowed block or moulded.  If moulded, what thickness.  I recently did a moulded block, 2 layers of 1/16.  Wondering if that would be enough thickness for you method..
Allan Perret
AMA 302406
Slidell, Louisiana

Offline Randy Ryan

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2009, 08:52:03 AM »
Allan,

Its a carved deck that runs between 5/32 and 3/16 thick 4-5 lb stock. I coated the inside with epoxy to strengthen and stabilize it.
Randy Ryan <><
AMA 8500
SAM 36 BO all my own M's

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here