News:

• April 27, 2024, 04:59:25 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: wing covering sequence  (Read 1071 times)

Offline adam collver

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Ensign
wing covering sequence
« on: March 28, 2014, 11:37:00 PM »
Hey guys going to start putting silk span on wing what order do I go by, one side top and bottom then other wing half.  Or do I do both bottoms then both tops.
I'm using silk span and Randolph dope.
Thanks for the input.
Adam

« Last Edit: March 28, 2014, 11:47:42 PM by Robert Storick »

Offline RC Storick

• Forum owner
  • Administrator
  • Admiral
  • The finish starts with the first piece of wood cut
    • Stunt Hangar
Re: wing covering sequence
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2014, 11:48:02 PM »
Hey guys going to start putting silk span on wing what order do I go by, one side top and bottom then other wing half.  Or do I do both bottoms then both tops.
I'm using silk span and Randolph dope.
Thanks for the input.
Adam

Bottom-top  -  bottom-top
AMA 12366

Offline adam collver

• Ensign
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2014, 09:34:12 AM »
Thanks

Offline Jim Thomerson

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2014, 10:23:18 AM »
Cover both sides of the wing and keep the covering moist.  When finished hang the airplane by the leadouts to dry.  Otherwise the top will dry faster than the bottom and may give you a warp.   

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Just here for the fun of it also.
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2014, 08:19:56 AM »
Cover both sides of the wing and keep the covering moist.  When finished hang the airplane by the leadouts to dry.  Otherwise the top will dry faster than the bottom and may give you a warp.   

It's been mentioned before to cover both sides at the same time.

I have absolutely no idea how this can be accomplished when you have silk hanging over the edges?

My efforts have paid off, I'm now silking with great results, tight as a drum and no warpage. I also use a "mist" bottle to keep the silk damp.

Pull like a mother on the tips to tighten the silk and yes, I use pins. I'm still doing it the way I learned in the late 50's.

Trump Derangement Syndrome. TDS. 
Avaiojet Derangement Syndrome. ADS.
Amazing how ignorance can get in the way of the learning process.
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Offline Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2014, 09:43:50 AM »
We used to try to cover straight wings like the VooDoo with a single piece of silk to minimize seams and wasted material.  We covered the top first and had the overlap at the bottom of the trailing edge so it wouldn't show much with the clear dope finish.

Now on bigger models I prefer four seperate pieces with the top done first to get the overlap on the bottom.  After doping the wood framework well, I install the silk with only a minimum outline of thin dope.  I don't dope the open bays until the dope and water has dried on all four panels.
Paul Smith

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here