News:

• April 27, 2024, 10:12:28 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Which 2K Clear?  (Read 13791 times)

Offline bill bischoff

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Which 2K Clear?
« on: February 29, 2024, 04:57:04 PM »
I am considering using 2K aerosol clear on my next airplane. I would otherwise use KlassKote for durability, but their clear isn't 100% clear. Is 2K clear really CLEAR? The brands I see mentioned most are Eastwood and Spraymax. Is there any difference in these brands?

The finish violates all the laws of not mixing brands, but up through the color coats all seems to be well. It's fiberglass cloth and Z-poxy finishing resin (no open bays), primed with Harbor Freight's Iron Armor grey aerosol primer, painted with Dupli-Color Perfect Match aerosol acrylic lacquer. The primer was allowed to dry for more than a week before sanding as a hedge against continued shrinkage later, and the color has been drying/gassing off for about two weeks.

Comments are invited/requested.

Offline Dave Hull

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Which 2K Clear?
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2024, 07:23:36 PM »
Bill,

Not a good idea! When the 2K topcoat hits the fiberglass with balsa core it will bud and cause wind turbine blades to grow there. If you don’t catch this before it is too late, you will have a 90 foot turbine blade wedged inside the house, and no way to get it out….

The Divot

Offline bill bischoff

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2024, 07:28:36 PM »
Dave, one of us doesn't know what you are talking about.  ??? n~

Offline Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2024, 12:22:54 PM »
Dave, one of us doesn't know what you are talking about.

Don’t say we didn’t warn you.
The Jive Combat Team
Making combat and stunt great again

Offline bill bischoff

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2024, 01:11:21 PM »
Anybody have anything helpful to say?

Offline Dave Hull

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2024, 02:51:28 PM »
Sorry Bill.

I just used the KlassKote clear over their colors, even over white. That avoided the quantity/limited life issue of 2K for me. Yes, there is a slight yellowing as cured (probably from the hardener) but unless you are going over white, I don't think you'll ever see it. I ran tests on two airplanes that I painted white. The first refinish job was specifically to do this experiment, so I base-coated with the white, then applied some Monokote numbers, then clear-coated only the wingtip with the numbers. This let me evaluate the contrast side by side. The slight tinting shows up in some lighting conditions more than others, which is likely what you noted and are trying to avoid. At certain reflecting angles (lower incident angles) you can't easily see the difference. I note that with an iphone 10 camera, it doesn't seem to pick up the difference at all, whether under outdoor light or indoor. Obviously, that is just a distraction as I tried to show the difference by taking a photo, and what really matters is what people actually see....

A comment one of my flying buddies who was a professional painter made has stuck with me. That white was one of the most difficult colors to match when painting cars because there are so many different hues, and everyone tweaks it to suit their taste. I can't knowledgeably comment on where in this range the KK white is, but it seems pretty neutral, not much blue and not much "warmth" added either.

I would note that the paint job on this sample plane is likely over 15 years old now. As far as I can tell, it hasn't "yellowed" more with age. Yellowing might be accelerated by prolonged UV exposure, but I didn't test for that. My race planes don't get out every month for practice any more. Aging would be a concern for any clearcoat.

I have put KK colors over different spraycan primers, usually the Rustoleum Auto Primer, with zero issues so far. I generally let the primer cure for a week or so, mostly because I don't like painting and it is slow work for me.

In the future, I will try not to review endless reports on turbine blade disposal issues, pending anti-dumping laws for turbine blades (Sweetwater, Texas?), and alternative disposal methods such as grinding up and burning the fiberglass/epoxy waste stream in cement manufacturing plants....prior to replying to a perfectly good question on Stunthanger.

Again, my apologies....

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2024, 06:27:21 PM »
Bill,
Max 2k (https://www.spraymax.com/en-us/products/product/clear-coats-and-spot-blender/2k-clear-glamour/#more-information) in aerosol is a good way to go without having to buy a large amount of the 2K.

Best,   DennisT

Offline Brent Williams

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Fancher Handles - Presented by Brent Williams
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2024, 07:16:53 PM »
What is your budget for clear?  The single use Spraymax 2K aerosol is around $20 on Amazon.

If you have a small compressor available, in addition to Klass Kote, there are a ton of 2k clear coat kits on the market that would likely suit your needs. 
The 2K varieties that are 4:1 mix are pretty darn thin right out of the can and should achieve a good finish.  If you search for 4:1 it should turn up a lot of results. 

I have used Speedokote SMR-100Q-M from Amazon for under 60 shipped.  It sprays out pretty nicely from my cheap Harbor Freight detail gun. 
I'm not a pro painter and as such, my experience is limited and should be questioned!   

Sherwin Williams Acme Finish-1, Eastwood, Summit, Jegs, UPol, Keystone and countless other offerings out there for reasonably budget friendly 2k clears that you can get in a quart kits for around $60 and gallon kits for around $100+/-ish.

There are also a lot of very high end, very pricey 2K clears out there too, if that is your need.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2024, 01:50:43 AM by Brent Williams »
Laser-cut, "Ted Fancher Precision-Pro" Hard Point Handle Kits are available again.  PM for info.
https://stunthanger.com/smf/brent-williams'-fancher-handles-and-cl-parts/ted-fancher's-precision-pro-handle-kit-by-brent-williams-information/

Offline Brent Williams

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Fancher Handles - Presented by Brent Williams
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2024, 08:06:51 PM »
This was painted with that Speedokote clear.  I went from bare wood to what you see in less than 24 hours.  We had a pylon race last weekend and I built this plane in 2 evenings just for the event.  I applied the blue finish coats at 7pm, and we were racing the plane 15 hours later at 10am the next morning.  I did hang the plane for a few hours in a heated box to speed cure the finish.
Sealer/Basecoat was 2 coats of Eze-Kote water based poly.  I loaded the clear with copious amounts of blue pearl powder to achieve an opaque blue finish.  (If it looks like I barely sanded out the base and painted it in under 40 degree temps, on my patio, nearly in the dark...you would be correct!)  I can't advocate that rushed method, but it got the job done.

« Last Edit: March 01, 2024, 08:24:25 PM by Brent Williams »
Laser-cut, "Ted Fancher Precision-Pro" Hard Point Handle Kits are available again.  PM for info.
https://stunthanger.com/smf/brent-williams'-fancher-handles-and-cl-parts/ted-fancher's-precision-pro-handle-kit-by-brent-williams-information/

Offline Dave Rigotti

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
  • "Electric...The future of anytime stunt"
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2024, 08:28:07 PM »
School me on the reason the tank vents face the way they do?

This was painted with that Speedokote clear.  I went from bare wood to what you see in less than 24 hours.  We had a pylon race last weekend and I built this plane in 2 evenings just for the event.  I applied the blue finish coats at 7pm, and we were racing the plane 15 hours later at 10am the next morning.  I did hang the plane for a few hours in a heated box to speed cure the finish.
Sealer/Basecoat was 2 coats of Eze-Kote water based poly.  I loaded the clear with copious amounts of blue pearl powder to achieve an opaque blue finish.  (If it looks like I barely sanded out the base and painted it in under 40 degree temps, on my patio, nearly in the dark...you would be correct!)  I can't advocate that rushed method, but it got the job done.
Dave Rigotti
AMA 66859
Chesterland, Ohio

Offline bill bischoff

• Admiral
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2024, 04:52:46 PM »
Note that the plane flies clockwise. Vents face to the inboard side to keep the fuel from flinging out of the tank.

Offline Dave Rigotti

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2024, 06:46:57 PM »
Doh!

Note that the plane flies clockwise. Vents face to the inboard side to keep the fuel from flinging out of the tank.
Dave Rigotti
AMA 66859
Chesterland, Ohio

Offline bill bischoff

• Admiral
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2024, 11:57:40 AM »
OK, one more try. Is there a difference, or even a preference, between Spraymax and Eastwood 2K aerosol clear?  ???

Offline Dave Rigotti

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2024, 12:26:46 PM »
I've only seen Spraymax used. Worked perfect. Crystal clear. Over Rustoleum colors.
Dave Rigotti
AMA 66859
Chesterland, Ohio

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2024, 05:48:35 PM »
Bill,
I have looked at both websites for several products and they seem to be the same material just packaged differently. For the most part any 2K will do just fine.

Best,   DennisT

Offline bill bischoff

• Admiral
« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2024, 07:07:31 PM »
Thank you, gentlemen.

Offline bill bischoff

• Admiral
« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2024, 06:50:53 PM »
Another question: I have been watching Youtube videos showing 2K aerosol clear over Perfect Match aerosol acrylic lacquer. Rarely do they discuss how long to let the lacquer dry before clear coating. In some of the videos, it seems like they only wait 10 minutes. As with applying KlassKote or Superpoxy clear over air-dry paints, it seems that waiting a week or more for the paint to finish gassing off before clear coating with 2K would be recommended. How long are people waiting?

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here