News:

• April 26, 2024, 09:34:56 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: What to do with discolored clear  (Read 972 times)

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
What to do with discolored clear
« on: January 23, 2019, 11:28:29 AM »
I just opened a can of Sig Lite-Coat clear, given to me by a guy who's been out of the hobby for about 20 years.  It's discolored.  I'm pretty sure that it's rust color, but I can't tell (I'm partly colorblind, so I can tell it's somewhere between brown and dull red, and that's as far as I get).

It was an unopened can, no signs of dope around the rim and with those nifty clips that Sig puts on their dope cans.  But it's old enough that the price sticker says "$5.99".

So -- if I use it for base coats, will it be OK, or might that discoloration migrate up through the finish to bite me later on?  I'm applying silkspan now, so I have a ways to go before any color goes on.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: What to do with discolored clear
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2019, 03:11:00 PM »
Tim,
I have some clear that has darkened (about 20yrs old) and I use it for the bottom substrate coats. You may need to add some reducer. I have been using Brodak, it blends well with the Sig and dries odor free in about four hours outside.

Best,     DennisT

Offline Bill Morell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2019, 07:03:26 PM »
I had a quart can of Sig Butyrate that did the same thing. Once it starts turning the best thing to do is try to use it up soon. It doesn't get better with age. I've seen a few that looked like Hershey's chocolate syrup.
Bill Morell
It wasn't that you could and others couldn't, its that you did and others didn't.
Vietnam 72-73
  Better to have it and not need it than it is to need it and not have it.

Online wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2019, 07:31:31 PM »
 Shouldn't be a problem with using it for prep work, attaching covering and initial filling coats etc. Unless it's extreme (which it doesn't sound like it is) it shouldn't have any effect with your final color work either. I'd say just thin it to your liking (50/50ish) and have at it.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2019, 07:37:33 PM by wwwarbird »
Narrowly averting disaster since 1964! 

Wayne Willey
Albert Lea, MN U.S.A. IC C/L Aircraft Modeler, Ex AMA member

Offline billbyles

• AMA Member
  • Captain
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2019, 04:48:07 PM »
I just opened a can of Sig Lite-Coat clear, given to me by a guy who's been out of the hobby for about 20 years.  It's discolored.  I'm pretty sure that it's rust color, but I can't tell (I'm partly colorblind, so I can tell it's somewhere between brown and dull red, and that's as far as I get).

It was an unopened can, no signs of dope around the rim and with those nifty clips that Sig puts on their dope cans.  But it's old enough that the price sticker says "$5.99".

So -- if I use it for base coats, will it be OK, or might that discoloration migrate up through the finish to bite me later on?  I'm applying silkspan now, so I have a ways to go before any color goes on.

Hi Tim,

Late reply but when dope turns to a definite amber color and develops a peculiar smell (to me fresh Sig Light Coat has a kind of "sweet" smell) it is time to discard it.  It becomes acidic with age and this affects the film strength and reduces the intercoat adhesion.  Depending upon the extent of degradation it may still be usable...depends on whether you want to roll the dice on the labor/material factors.
Bill Byles
AMA 20913
So. Cal.

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2019, 08:47:45 AM »
Thanks Bill.  It definitely smells different.  I already have a couple of coats on -- I think I'll order fresh from Sig and just cross my fingers for what's already on.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Mike Haverly

• Captain
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2019, 08:57:13 AM »
Tim, hop in your car and drive up to Spencer Aircraft at Thun Field and buy Randolph.  Much less expensive, even with the gas you'll use to get here and back.  They have both tautening and non tautening.  Good idea to call first.  They will ship too, don't know about hazmat charges.  Probably about 140 miles from where you live.
Mike

Offline Mike Haverly

• Captain
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2019, 09:01:55 AM »
OK, so it is 169 miles from Oregon City.  Still worth it.  They have a lot of colors too.
Mike

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2019, 10:47:51 AM »
Tim, hop in your car and drive up to Spencer Aircraft at Thun Field and buy Randolph.  Much less expensive, even with the gas you'll use to get here and back.  They have both tautening and non tautening.  Good idea to call first.  They will ship too, don't know about hazmat charges.  Probably about 140 miles from where you live.

I was given this big box of Sig stuff, and folks have mentioned that you don't want to mix Sig and Brodak, at least not much.

My plan is to use up most of the dope in the box, and then switch to Brodak or Randolph.  A special trip up to Spenser, if it's still there when I'm ready, sounds good.  Or y'all could organize more contests there and I could pick the stuff up on the way...
AMA 64232

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here