News:

• May 01, 2024, 10:06:23 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: What color is it?  (Read 969 times)

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
What color is it?
« on: June 12, 2010, 06:54:22 PM »
 What is the proper name for the light green'ish fuselage color the Brit's use/used on their Navy prop aircraft. It's the color that you see on Sea Fury's, Seafire's, Firefly's etc.
Narrowly averting disaster since 1964! 

Wayne Willey
Albert Lea, MN U.S.A. IC C/L Aircraft Modeler, Ex AMA member

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
Re: What color is it?
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2010, 07:01:14 PM »
If memory serves, Seafoam is the color. but I'm sure others will chime in and say that isn't it.
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2010, 07:39:16 PM »
 I suppose it could be called that too Randy, but when I hear "Seafoam" I think of the turquoise color on the 50's Chevy's. I think that's what they called that.

Wayne Willey

Offline Clint Ormosen

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2010, 10:55:53 PM »
I suppose it could be called that too Randy, but when I hear "Seafoam" I think of the turquoise color on the 50's Chevy's. I think that's what they called that.

OK then, how 'bout Britfoam green?
-Clint-

AMA 559593
Finding new and innovated ways to screw up the pattern since 1993

Offline Wynn Robins

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2010, 01:42:36 PM »
seafoam is correct -  I have it in a tamyia pot somewhere....
In the battle of airplane versus ground, the ground is yet to lose

Offline Neville Legg

• Captain
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2010, 10:50:27 AM »
It depends on the period in time! But if you are thinking of the Al Rabe Seafury colours, then its dark grey on the top and Sky type S on the lower portions.
Look on the Humbrol, or Revell colour charts, they're online.

Cheers       Neville
"I think, therefore I have problems"

(not) Descartes

Offline Neville Legg

• Captain
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2010, 12:26:47 PM »
Take your pick ;D This is a scan from a 66 year old book called Aircraft of the Fighting Powers!

(not) Descartes

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2010, 07:51:01 PM »
 Yep, there it is. The "Grey Green" or the "Sky" shown in Neville's reply are what I was trying to decscribe. Thanks! H^^

Wayne Willey

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2010, 04:58:22 AM »
Full Marks, the old Battle of Britain one was 'Duck Egg Blue' belive there was also a Green of that , as in 'Duck Egg Green'.

That make the Book 1944 ?

Early days saw inter service rivalry .  Naval Aircraft were R.N.A.S.

Schemes / colours were standardised with the colours youve shown AFTER the Battle of Britain .

The 'Home Defence' Hurricanes being finised in the paints youve shown,with yellow L.E.s

for identification in 'head on attacks'.Quite time consumeing to apply (to a stunt plane ).

THEN theres the Typhoons and Tempests .Where the Black and White 'wing band' identification stripes

Originated, The colours (B&W ) were 'standardised' to even widths for (but not before ) D-Day.

Previously the Black bands were Narrower than the White.

Then theres the 'Air ministry' specs for Roundles and Markings ,apparently they hadnt heard of K.I.S.S.

some people love working behind a desk . You need  Date / Application  for the Identification markings .

Your colour charts superb for all 'European Theatre' aircraft.

looks like the Mediteranium Dark Blue is the H.F. or P.R.U. Blue .

Post War Roundles Reverted to Gloss Bright Colours  and 'Revisions' (*!#!) of Pre War (30s) Markings .

The Colours shown are semi Matt low vis colours.  However, efficent ground crew waxed and polished certain airframes

Such as the overboosted Mk 14 Spitfires running 150 Octane for V-Bomb interception .

So a rub back with 800 or 1200 and clear coat with wax and polish is in cases authentic.

The colours themselves dont have high reflection,so in some photographs demarkation is not nessesarily percievable .

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So the way to go with the Camoflage is to cut cardboard masks , to sit OFF the surface  to get SOFT  edge /Demarkation.

Hard edge is seldom correct for WWII service aircraft between Camofalge Colours. they wernt being prepared for a 'Concourse De elagance' .
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

F.S. numbers for paint blending are available Via 'Humbrol' paints . Plastic modellors DARKEN the shades as the model gets SMALLER

to give the Optical Illusion of the actual full size shade . Should think thats going a bit far for a flying model ! *#??! .

anyone like to paint my next Hurricane , Squadron Code is UF O . ! post Battle of Britain.Thanks for the SHADES, Neville.

not trying to be nasty , its probly the SAME colours , there was a post war 'Sea Blue ' & ' Sea Green' . got act name SOME  *#!+where etc

.Believe its 'Ocean Green !.' DONT ask what shade . Im sure youd all enjoy attending a I.M.P.S. meeting ????? ARGH !!!!!.
                                                                                                                                                                               Matt.

Offline Neville Legg

• Captain
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2010, 11:06:27 AM »
The book has obviously got wet at sometime in its 66 year history! The scanning has dulled down some of the colours, but you get a good idea of the colours the British military used! I have quite an extensive library of aviation reference books, If you want any info. just ask! I'll see if I can help ;D If you've got a Hurricane ready for paint I have dozens of books on that aircraft

Cheers     Neville
« Last Edit: June 28, 2010, 10:35:25 AM by Neville Legg »

(not) Descartes

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here