News:

• May 01, 2024, 07:29:01 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: waterslide decals help  (Read 704 times)

Offline Chris Keller

• 2016 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Ensign
waterslide decals help
« on: July 14, 2009, 03:05:15 PM »
Any tips on the waterslide decals? I was finishing a model this past weekend and put a good sized water decal on the wing that came with the brodak kit. Went on great, no bubbles or anything. I came back about 4 hours later to do some trim painting. In masking the fuse, a tiny spot of masking tape accidently touched the decal while I was trying to line up the tape and ripped half the decal right off the wing. No problem I thought. I had an identical decal from another plane I didn’t use. I put that on and let it dry maybe an hour. To prevent it lifting, I figured I would put on some clear dope over it (it says it should be ok in the directions). The dope bubbled the decal right off the wing. What is the secret to these darn things? Am I just not letting them dry long enough? I only submerge them in water just long enough for them to slip off the backing, so I don’t think the glue is getting washed off or anything. I have a plane that I really want to use the decals from the kit for it, but I’m at a loss as what went wrong. So how do you guys do it, dope over the decals or no?
Thanks

Online Matt Colan

• N-756355
  • AMA Member
  • Admiral
Re: waterslide decals help
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2009, 03:54:38 PM »
I haven't really had too much experience with decals, but enough to help and from reading stories.  First when you apply a decal, let it dry and then spray on a very light dust coat of clear.  Then put a regular coat of clear after that dust coat is dry.  Ask PTG, he knows more about this than I do. H^^
Matt Colan

Offline Chris Keller

• 2016 supporter
  • Ensign
Re: waterslide decals help
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2009, 02:45:25 PM »
i dont really have any way to mist a coat of clear over them. the instructions say may be doped "depending on the amount of thinner" but they don't say what is better, thin or thick.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here