News:

• April 27, 2024, 10:45:02 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Water Based Stain  (Read 1201 times)

Offline Larry Fulwider

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
Water Based Stain
« on: February 08, 2009, 10:25:04 AM »
I'm putting together a U-Key as our club "Trimming Trainer". A clear dope finished fuselage with appropriate dabs of color elsewhere would be nice, and not too difficult.

Actually, the fuselage is a pretty decent looking piece of wood, and I was thinking of putting some cherry water based stain on under the clear butyrate. I know dope won't adhere to regular stain. But how about the water based ones?

I suppose there is the wet teabag option also, but that idea belongs more in the flower-child 60s as I recall. Or maybe a weak dye, sort of like dyed silkspan? Or??

The search function here didn't find anything on staining as an (on purpose!) part of a finish. Seems like I've seen it before, tho.

Larry Fulwider

Offline Bootlegger

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Water Based Stain
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2009, 10:52:23 AM »
   :!   How about a small amount of clear dope (1 Oz ) and put some stain in it to check for reaction, then if all is well put iy on some scrap wood ?
   Just a suggestion...........Good luck and keep us informed... #^
8th Air Force Veteran
Gil Causey
AMA# 6964

Offline Wayne Collier

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2009, 11:56:09 AM »
Awhile back, on a sheet wing 1/2a plane, I used some minwax stain that was compatible with polyurethane and then finished it with clear ployurethane instead of dope.  Thae finish seemed fuel resistent, but the airplane didn't last long enough to know long range results.
Wayne Collier     Northeast Texas
<><

never confuse patience with slowness never confuse motion with progress

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2009, 08:18:02 AM »
Since I have tried the SLC covering for underlayment on planes, I have also thought maybe staining the bare wood of a plane and covering with the SLC.  When seams are put down can't hardly see them let alone feel them.  Having fun,  DOC Holliday
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Larry Fulwider

• Commander
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2009, 11:02:22 AM »
Since I have tried the SLC covering for underlayment on planes, I have also thought maybe staining the bare wood of a plane and covering with the SLC.  When seams are put down can't hardly see them let alone feel them.  Having fun,  DOC Holliday

Doc --

Great idea! I'll steal it, but not for this particular project. The SLC has to be a bullet proof and light solution, as I see it.
   Since the SLC is (advertised, I haven't tried it) paintable / dopable, shouldn't be a problem no matter what you have in the adjoining areas.

I decided to do some other tests (already started), and start a new thread. Shoot, wish I had seen your suggestion first, I would have done the test differently. Ah well, I've never set up a test of anything that halfway through, I didn't say, "Well, I shoulda . . ."

Larry Fulwider

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here