News:

• May 01, 2024, 03:40:04 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Water based paints  (Read 4570 times)

Offline peabody

• 23 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Water based paints
« on: August 30, 2008, 06:25:53 PM »
I went to a PPG sponsored seminar on water based paints.....

They sound way cool, being thinner for full coverage, and I was surprised that all European cars are painted with water based paints for the past decade....It's coming!

I have asked for a synopsis of the talk, and expect it soon. I'll publish details.

Offline RC Storick

• Forum owner
  • Administrator
  • Admiral
  • The finish starts with the first piece of wood cut
    • Stunt Hangar
Re: Water based paints
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2008, 07:49:29 PM »
I went to a PPG sponsored seminar on water based paints.....

They sound way cool, being thinner for full coverage, and I was surprised that all European cars are painted with water based paints for the past decade....It's coming!

I have asked for a synopsis of the talk, and expect it soon. I'll publish details.

This is a great environmental move. However what happens to wood when you get it wet with water?

As a mechanic I can say this, If its California Legal,Bio degradable and non toxic. It does not work!
AMA 12366

Offline Dennis Moritz

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2008, 10:45:19 PM »
Nelson makes a paint that cleans up with water and is thinned with water. A number of Philly Flyer club members have used this product with very good results. Perhaps one of those fellows will relate their experience.

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2008, 10:49:23 PM »
A local guy, Mike Haverly, has used Auto Air Colors (a water based urethane) on his las couple of planes. He says it works pretty well. I've only used it for some trim colors, but they worked well. Auto Air Colors is still working on a durable, water based clear coat, but the stuff seems to do well with most any conventional topcoat. Nice thing about it is, it's largely non-reactive to other paints, so it's pretty easy to build up a substrate with dope, then use Auto Air Colors for all the colors then use either a dope or catalyzed polyurethane for a topcoat. To top it off, the stuff is pretty cheap and covers very well.
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Online Lauri Malila

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2008, 04:55:28 AM »

Hi.

I have painted one of my Sharks (Yatsenko) with water based acrylic car paint. For decoration it's very good, the base white is still in 2-component polyurethane. Only the colour is water-based, clear coat on top of it is normal 2-k polyacrylic.
 I have found no problems with the resistance of the surface. Hundreds of flights, tests with several differend synthetic and castor oils or cleaning the surface with benzine, nitro, methanol or acetone haven't caused any problems.
 Because drying time is longer, you can spray thinner coats and they will still flow down nicely, so I think that results in a little lighter weight compared to thinner based acrylics.
 The only problem I found is that (at least with the brand I used) before clear coat, the pain surface remains very fragile and a little "tacky" so you have to be carefull not to scratch the surface when doing the inklines. Also, dust can be difficult to remove from the tacky surface. L

Offline peabody

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2008, 05:49:39 AM »
Spark....you're probably against them because they represent change....you more than likely got mad that the Motor Company quit with kick starters, too.
The PPG guy felt that there ere many advantages and few drawbacks.......he also said that tap water is a no-no.....stressed that de-ionized was okay, but that some "water" PPG sells is best as thinner....solid colors only need 10% thinning, while candys and pearls need 20%.....
He also said that the clean-up was tougher, because it's hard to get the latex from the nooks and crannies.....
Two part solvent based clears are used in all commercial applications, BTW.

Offline Tom Niebuhr

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2008, 08:51:07 AM »
Lauri,
Great looking airplane.
AMA 7544

Online Lauri Malila

• Admiral
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2008, 09:03:49 AM »
 Tom,

Thank you. After the picture was taken (Breitenbach contest 2007 in Switzerland) I have had the wings replaced. They are all-white at the moment, maybe I paint something during the winter. L

Offline RC Storick

• Forum owner
  • Administrator
  • Admiral
    • Stunt Hangar
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2008, 12:00:12 PM »
This is all well and good but Buick's and Yatsinko's are not made of wood.
AMA 12366

Online Lauri Malila

• Admiral
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2008, 12:41:34 PM »

I don't know about Buicks but Yatsenko's planes are mainly made of wood. Fuselage skin is 1,5mm balsa, it thins down to 0.8 towards tail. Flaps, stab and tail skins are from 0.7-0.8 balsa. The wood is covered with 17g/m2 glass cloth, 2 layers on outside and 1..2 layers in inside. In wing skins they use Herex foam (1,3mm) exept for the Yak and my planes that come with balsa skin with glass on both sides. Balsa skin is lighter and stiffer than Herex skin.
 They don't use gelcoat, paint after molding is lighter. It's very naive to think that they just pop out of the mold ready to go.
 The point with the water colours is that once the surface is sealed, wether with paper/dope or glassfiber/epoxy, they work well. Of course it's not possible to use water based products directly on the raw wood. L

Offline RC Storick

• Forum owner
  • Administrator
  • Admiral
    • Stunt Hangar
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2008, 04:49:04 PM »
It's very naive to think that they just pop out of the mold ready to go.
 The point with the water colours is that once the surface is sealed, wether with paper/dope or glassfiber/epoxy, they work well. Of course it's not possible to use water based products directly on the raw wood. L

I have seen one of the so called Yatsinko kits. The parts are painted in the mold (from what I have seen). If they weren't they sure did a crappy job of painting after wards. Sanded through to the balsa in places.. Not the point tho. The point is that they are finished to a stage where it would be possible to paint with water base paint. The substrate is laid down with some kind of paint/glass/gel coat or what ever. FROM WHAT I HAVE WITNESSED and what you have stated.
AMA 12366

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2008, 10:16:58 PM »
In my professional experience as an automotive painter, the water based paints have been around a while, and they do work, if you follow the guidlines. Robert as far as getting water based finish on the wood, that isnt an issue even with a conventional stuunter, you stil have to seal the wood and open bays before you finish, so a substrate is needed. whether it be dopw or other material, the color coats are what is waterbased, and it by neccessity sits on top of the base materails. I dont know of anyone that puts color coats on bare wood?
These materials that are designed to be enviromentally freindly are typically implemented in california because they are the most fnicky, and yes initially, some of the products have issues to begin with. Do you recall all the cars in the early 90s that had issues with the color coats pealing, yeah well that was a result of not enough UV protection in the clearcoats,, a problem that began with regulation by the EPA and a deadline that was not realistic. But they did sort it out, and Urethanes we have today are the result. Progress has a price, just like with computers,, to be on the leading edge has a price.
For years the rat race had me going around in circles, Now I do it for fun!
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2008, 11:16:44 PM »
>>The only problem I found is that (at least with the brand I used) before clear coat, the pain surface remains very fragile and a little "tacky" so you have to be carefull not to scratch the surface when doing the inklines.<<

This is because the stuff wasn't dry. You can't really air dry it unless you live someplace like Tucson, Arizona. You have to use a heat gun, or work for awhile with a hair dryer to get all the water out. I had this problem the first time I tried it. It was raining and the humidity was somewhere north of 80%. Took me hours to get the stuff to dry with a heat gun.

On another note, as Mark points out, you don't shoot the stuff on bare wood. We are just talking color coats here. One real advantage is, like basecoat urethane, the stuff is really light. Auto Air Colors also comes ready to shoot. Just dump it from the bottle to the gun and pull the trigger. That's kinda nice.
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline peabody

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2008, 04:52:13 AM »
The guy from PPG mentined that about twice the air flow is necessary.....most ar using hand held vortex generators powered by shop air...
Modeling use wants a hot rod heat gun....
He reported that it was dry to mask in three to five minutes....

Offline Arch Adamisin

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2008, 08:26:20 AM »
My sons and I have used a lot of this stuff painting pylon racers. We've found it very easy to use and I like the fact that we can spray our models and not worry about the exposure to all the nasty chemicals that many of the other paint systems have. Besides that, if you spray something and you don't like what you did, you can wash it off within 24 hours with a wet rag. As far as we're concerned, as soon as they develop the water based clear, it will be a perfect system, no chemical exposure at all.
There is a guy in Texas, Jerry Nelson that has a water based clear in both gloss and semi-gloss.I'm going to get a small quantity of it to see how it works.

Arch

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2008, 09:35:08 AM »
Arch,

Well, if you are finishing fiberglass or other closed structure surfaces, then it's possible to use a non-lacquer finish entirely and probably possible to go from the wood up with non-toxic stuff, though you'd probably still need some sort of epoxy or at least toxic chemical based material on the bare wood. I tired a water based urethane on bare wood once. Interesting outcome. I wouldn't do it again.

But if you are using an open structure, you are still stuck with some sort of lacquer for at least part of the finish. I gave a try to using a urethane based clear on bare wood and open bay silkspan once. I sort of got it to work eventually using a heat gun when it was wet, but the shrink, such as it was, was uneven and caused warps that I spent a lot of time chasing. Mark Scarborough and I have discussed all sorts of alternatives to using lacquer with open structure planes. It's possible with stuff like polyspan or thermalspan. but it introduces other problems. We wanted to come up with an all urethane finish method.

The experiment goes on.
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Online Lauri Malila

• Admiral
« Reply #16 on: September 01, 2008, 10:18:55 AM »
Randy, Robert,

A little off-topic but they (Yats..) add some white pigment to the epoxy. It makes it possible to use less polyurethane to get an even surface. But no way, the surface is not ready from the mold.
 About the tacky surface, I think it varies between differend brands. My paint just remains a little rubbery. I'm quite sure that it was completely dry because I waited several days in hot summer weather before the clear coats. I also used the activator in the paint as per instructions and sprayed a very thin layer. Because the base white was white PU, only matted with #1000 sandpaper, I was recommended not to use even a hairdryer for drying, the paint may start bubbling.
 Anyway, I'm happy with the product but will use it only for the decoration colours. L

steven yampolsky

« Reply #17 on: September 01, 2008, 12:10:44 PM »
Nelson water based system is designed to be applied over nitrate dope-based substrate. Their paint is nitrate resitant to 10% nitro. For higher nitrate content, they sell something called "cross-linker" which makes it resistant to something like 50% nitro. Any filtered water will work as a thinner. Another cool benefit is that one can apply another coat as soon as applied coat is dry. That could be as quickly as 5 minutes if being "prodded along" with a hair drier. That's right! It can be dried with a hairdryer with zero affect on the adhesion or pigmentation.

My next world-beater is getting a nelson paint system! I was going to use it on my 35 Stilletto but had one of those idiot moments when I applied a coat of buterate dope mixed with Zinc Stearate I had left over from the last model.

Offline Bradley Walker

• Admiral
    • The Urban Rifleman
« Reply #18 on: September 01, 2008, 06:59:39 PM »
Just cover the plane in SLC film.  Then paint the film.

No wood exposure.
"The reasonable man adapts himself to his environment. The unreasonable man adapts his environment to himself, therefore all progress is made by unreasonable men."
-George Bernard Shaw

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #19 on: September 02, 2008, 08:16:24 AM »
Have to admit that I don't have any experience with water based paint other than Auto Air Colors. But I like the stuff. I will use some for trim on my new plane.
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #20 on: September 02, 2008, 02:04:23 PM »
One thing I need to make note of here. Just because its water based paint, does not mean that it is safe to breath. The water is only replacing the thinner in the sprayable mix. Granted the chemical makeup of the pigment, and binder is different, but do NOT be misled into thinking that its harmless. It still posses' chemicals and potentially harmfull ones at that. I know its very tempting to be lulled into complacancy by thinking that its safe because you thin it with water. The reason these paints were developed was to reduce the VOC that is released into the atmosphere, not to reduce the nasties that are ingested into painters. In fact when some of the first waterborne primers were brought out, the etching agents in them were worse for the painter than the solvent based products they replaced.
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline peabody

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #21 on: September 02, 2008, 02:59:05 PM »
Hi Mark....
PPG guy says that it's essentially like house paint...
The effluent cannot be swept up, then hosed down a drain in California, but, if allowed to dry, the solids are disposable in a landfill....
Too much of almost anything is harmful.....lol

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #22 on: September 02, 2008, 03:11:29 PM »
Good luck with that. I know the Auto Air Colors folks say, use a mask when spraying. It's water based, not non-toxic. That's what I get from my local auto paint store guys. Better than shooting catalyzed polyurethane with free iso-cyanides, but as toxic to the painter as, say, lacquer. Much lower VOCs, but as Mark notes, for the painter, it's still made of chemicals you wouldn't want in your Cheerios.
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #23 on: September 02, 2008, 04:16:55 PM »
*** if allowed to dry, the solids are disposable in a landfill....***
The same exact fact is true about  catalysed Urethanes as well. the cured dry material is considered inert and needs no special disposal techniques. You all can treat it as you want, but for me, its the same same as all other materials sprayed, full on respirator, and good supply of fresh air. In fact you will likely still see me wear my shoot suit were I to be seen spraying this stuff.
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Pinecone

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #24 on: October 16, 2008, 05:32:10 PM »
Another water based paint to try is the Fascolor system sold for RC cars.  Comes in small bottles, ready to spray.  I did an RC heli canopy with it, overcoated with Omni clear (with flex agent).  Worked great.  And 30% heli fuel hasn't bothered it.

Same idea, thin water based color for the color, then clear for the shine and fuel resistance.
Terry Carraway
AMA 47402

Offline Randy Ryan

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #25 on: October 16, 2008, 06:57:26 PM »
I've tried Nelson's clear over silk and dope as a fuel proof topcoat on a Free Flight that will see 20-30% Nitro. It was applied with a foam brush and I'm pretty impressed with the result. I did notice that it will sag and run very easily, but I'm sure with some experience I will be able to put it on well. As a matter of fact, I think my next stunter will be all Nelson's, color and all.
Randy Ryan <><
AMA 8500
SAM 36 BO all my own M's

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here