News:

• April 27, 2024, 08:18:19 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: UV blocker for dope  (Read 667 times)

Offline Jim Thomerson

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
UV blocker for dope
« on: November 18, 2010, 07:41:40 PM »
I have heard of a clear UV blocker which is compatible with dope.  I understand it is yellowish, which is fine with me, because I build yellow airplanes.  I think there is considerable UV damage to our finishes when airplanes are left to sit in the sun. Does anyone know about a UV blocker as described?

Offline Dan Bregar

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
  • Field Marshall
Re: UV blocker for dope
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2010, 05:31:21 PM »
Yes Jim, I also would like to find a UV blocker.  When you cover an airplane with colored silk and clear dope the wing, after a while the color in the silk starts to fade from exposure to the sun.  After 2-3 years you can see a very big difference between the top surface color of the silk compared to the bottom surface.  It would be nice if we could add something to the clear dope that would at least slow down the fading process. H^^
AMA 33676

Offline Randy Ryan

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
Re: UV blocker for dope
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2010, 12:52:29 PM »
I have heard of a clear UV blocker which is compatible with dope.  I understand it is yellowish, which is fine with me, because I build yellow airplanes.  I think there is considerable UV damage to our finishes when airplanes are left to sit in the sun. Does anyone know about a UV blocker as described?

Jim,

I got some from George Aldrich before he passed, sounds like what you have. The best I can report is, its as good as any clear dope, in other words it didn't seem to offer any protection. My candy yellow and rainbow Gladiator was completely washed out by the end of its first season. I guess the answer must be to keep them covered whenever possible.
Randy Ryan <><
AMA 8500
SAM 36 BO all my own M's

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here