News:

• May 03, 2024, 07:40:08 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Urethane colors  (Read 645 times)

Offline James Mills

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
Urethane colors
« on: February 28, 2010, 09:54:40 PM »
I was speaking with a local paint store where I bought the urethane clear I've used on the last couple of planes and he told me I can buy urethane colors in 8 ounce touch up jars.  My question, is this the type of paint some of you guys are using when I read about being able shoot an entire paint job in one or two days?

Thanks,

James
AMA 491167

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
Re: Urethane colors
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2010, 11:37:30 PM »
James, Not sure, is it a base coat that needs cleared, or is it a single stage that needs catalyzed?
I shot my Avenger in two days, start to finish including clear, its in the Classic section.
Basecoat colors are generally ready to mask on in a couple hours excepting pearls and metallics which you would want to give 3 or 4 hours because they will tape track pretty bad if you get in a hurry
if they are single stage colors, then you are looking at one color a day most likely, and the end result has the potential to be much heavier,,
For years the rat race had me going around in circles, Now I do it for fun!
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline James Mills

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2010, 06:34:57 PM »
Mark,

My paint guy told me I would mix it with the same reducer and hardener that is used for the clear.  I was thinking it would be a way to go from primer to clear in a few days instead of a month or so.

James
AMA 491167

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2010, 10:13:31 PM »
that is single stage, and the colors will be heavier than clear. Personally, unless you are doing a single color, or maybe a two color job, It is not the way I would go. But then i tend to get rather carried away with some of my trim colors and schemes. I prefer the base coat clear coat system
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline James Mills

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2010, 10:29:58 PM »
that is single stage, and the colors will be heavier than clear. Personally, unless you are doing a single color, or maybe a two color job, It is not the way I would go. But then i tend to get rather carried away with some of my trim colors and schemes. I prefer the base coat clear coat system
I've never used base coat clear coat system, what is this?

Thanks,

James
AMA 491167

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2010, 09:50:27 AM »
Base Clear is a Urethane system, It uses a basecoat which contains pigments but no additives for gloss or protection. You spray this on, it dries rapidly, normally being able to mask within 30 minutes to an hour. After all your color work is done, then you shoot Urethane two part ( catalyzed) clear over it to provide gloss and durability as well as UV protection.
My findings are that because the base coat, color, has no clear, or protective addatives it lays down lighter and its easier to spray. It also with proper masking techniques leaves a much smaller ridge along the mask line. Then you focus on the clear to get your gloss. Urethane clears are VERY durable and all that I have seen are totally fuel proof.
THis is the system that most all cars have been painted with for 15 years or so.
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here