News:

• May 09, 2024, 08:52:55 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Trophy Trainer Fuselage  (Read 1219 times)

Offline Bill Little

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
Trophy Trainer Fuselage
« on: September 05, 2012, 12:05:41 PM »
HI All,

Aaron has a Trophy Trainer fuselage built.  1/4" core and 1/8th" siding.  It is ready for a finish.

It will be used in Profile at meets, possibly even Advanced in bad weather.

Bare balsa, how would YOU finish it?

Thanks!

BIG Bear
RNMM/AMM
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Trophy Trainer Fuselage
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2012, 02:42:41 PM »
Depending on how I was finishing out the wings, I'd either do the Rustoleum "system" or good old dope & silkspan.

If I were putting film on the wings I'd go Minwax Polycrylic and silkspan as a base, with Polycrylic and talc for fill, then Rustoleum primer and Rustoleum Gloss Protective Enamel (then I'd spray Rustoleum Gloss Protective Enamel as trim on wings and fuse).

If I were doing any dope-based finish on the wings, then I'd go the traditional dope & silkspan route on the fuselage, so that everything would be 100% compatible.

But -- that's me.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2012, 04:11:25 PM »
Or you could do it they we used to. 1/2oz fiberglass and resin on the fuse, sand, prime with KlassKote primer and paint with Klasskote color the iron-on for the wings and flying surfaces. Worked well in the day (though we used Superpoxy).
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2012, 04:27:53 PM »
How much weight do you add with the fiberglass & resin?  I've always shied away from that.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Balsa Butcher

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
  • High Desert Flier
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2012, 04:44:37 PM »
If it's 2 coats of Z-poxy (one to apply, second to fill) and Sig 1/2 ounce fiberglass weight build up is minimal because it doesn't take much expoxy to get a good bond or finish and you sand most of it off. Try it, you'll like it. 8)
Pete Cunha
Sacramento CA.
AMA 57499

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Just here for the fun of it also.
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2012, 06:47:35 AM »
Or you could do it they we used to. 1/2oz fiberglass and resin on the fuse, sand, prime with KlassKote primer and paint with Klasskote color the iron-on for the wings and flying surfaces. Worked well in the day (though we used Superpoxy).

I've been using resin and cloth since the 80's right to this present day! Mentioned this many times on this Forum and SS.

I'll never stopped using it. Why change a winning game? That method is still popular with many modelers today.

Light? You can remove as much of it as you want with sandpaper, and if you use a quality resin, you don't have to blot the applied resin with toilet tissue, although that process eliminates some sanding.

I have resin on The New American, just to fill the wood grain before applying a few coats of dope before silking.

As far as primer and paint? I have a local body shop that will spray that stuff for me. I'm going to do a Thread on this. All I will do is the masking and make a few trips. One for the primer and one for each color.

I'm trying to keep my model building and finishing simple.

I should post the Avenger photo.  ;D

Charles

Trump Derangement Syndrome. TDS. 
Avaiojet Derangement Syndrome. ADS.
Amazing how ignorance can get in the way of the learning process.
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2012, 11:10:54 AM »
Just do't tell anyone that you let someone else spray your finish.   There goes appearance points to some people.
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Just here for the fun of it also.
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2012, 11:33:58 AM »
Just do't tell anyone that you let someone else spray your finish.   There goes appearance points to some people.

John,

It's not an issue because I'm not interested in appearance points.

Charles
Trump Derangement Syndrome. TDS. 
Avaiojet Derangement Syndrome. ADS.
Amazing how ignorance can get in the way of the learning process.
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Online Crist Rigotti

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Electric - The future of Old Time Stunt
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2012, 04:17:17 PM »
HI All,

Aaron has a Trophy Trainer fuselage built.  1/4" core and 1/8th" siding.  It is ready for a finish.

It will be used in Profile at meets, possibly even Advanced in bad weather.

Bare balsa, how would YOU finish it?

Thanks!

BIG Bear
RNMM/AMM

Monokote and powered by electric! 
Crist
AMA 482497
Waxahachie, TX
Electric - The Future of Old Time Stunt

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2012, 05:03:57 PM »
Monokote and powered by electric! 

Neat idea, Crist, but we aren't that far into electric yet.  And Aaron is painfully short of money right now.  He has a few OS .46LA to choose from, or a few ST .46.  At least they are paid for! LOL!!

BIG Bear
RNMM/AMM
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Online Crist Rigotti

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Electric - The future of Old Time Stunt
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2012, 06:59:53 PM »
Neat idea, Crist, but we aren't that far into electric yet.  And Aaron is painfully short of money right now.  He has a few OS .46LA to choose from, or a few ST .46.  At least they are paid for! LOL!!

BIG Bear
RNMM/AMM

Paid for is good!
Crist
AMA 482497
Waxahachie, TX
Electric - The Future of Old Time Stunt

Offline Gary Anderson

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2012, 09:57:26 PM »

BIG Bear
RNMM/AMM
Hi Bill,
Both engine work very well, better than most. My LA 46 is several years old and still runs like a champ. The ST 46 is a great motor but I don't believe they hold up as well as the OS 46. Have fun!!

God Bless
Gary
Gary Anderson

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here