News:

• May 19, 2024, 04:27:26 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Towercoat! Help needed.  (Read 764 times)

Offline Dennis Moritz

• 22 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Towercoat! Help needed.
« on: September 10, 2010, 10:57:42 PM »
Anyone figure out how to use this. I stick it down, then it pulls up when I attempt to shrink the stuff. Ridiculous issues. Monokote never did this, unless I was torching the Mylar. I am BEING CAREFUL, trying lower heat, stuff just pulls up too easy. My balsarite dried out in the can, so... haven't tried that yet. If someone can clue me, thanks a bunch. I've five rolls bought on special. SUCKER. I'm a SUCKER! Unless someone can tip me on the habits of tower no coat to make it o.k. coat. (The colors look nice.)

Offline Paul Wood

• 21 supporter
  • Commander
Re: Towercoat! Help needed.
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2010, 07:56:25 PM »
Dennis,

I don't think you'll be happy with Towercoat.  It has a pretty bad reputation for not sticking.  Also, if you ever get it to stick, it will pull loose pretty quickly inflight.  I used it one time and have never used it again.  There is a lot of info on the R/C forums and almost (not all) of it is exactly the same as you're having.  If you decide to go ahead with it, you will have to use Balsarite to tack it down.  Then you will have to seal all seams with thin CA or clear fingernail polish.  Very messy!!!  By the way, Monocoat is no longer usable either, as you probably know.  The new formula is not very user friendly.  Best of luck.

Paul

Offline Dennis Moritz

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2010, 10:04:10 PM »
Thanks for the answer Paul. What's left to iron on. Ultracoate?

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2010, 11:25:13 PM »
I've had very good luck recently with Ultracoat.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Dwayne

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2010, 12:06:25 PM »
Thanks for the answer Paul. What's left to iron on. Ultracoate?

Yes Ultrakote works very well as does Brodaks covering.

Offline Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2010, 06:47:19 PM »
I got several rolls of TowerCote at the Fisher estate sale.

Compared MonoKote (the gold standard), it's lighter, lower temp, and lower strength, but still an adeqaute covering material.  I used it on my Magician about 4-5 years ago and it's still there.

Paul Smith

Offline Russell Shaffer

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2010, 08:36:13 PM »
I have 6 planes with Towercote and they seem to be holding up fine.  I do seal the edges as advised, and I make sure that the top sheet overlaps the bottom by 1/2 inch or more.  The white is hard to work with because any little flaw or mistake shows up as a dark spot, but the blue and red have been fine.  The white is staying on, just doesn't cover up my building mistakes as well.
Russell Shaffer
Klamath Falls, Oregon
Just North of the California border

Offline Posthole_digger

• Ensign
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2010, 09:13:50 AM »
I've used Towerkote a few times and will not use it again. It doesn't stick well and burnishes easily. I also do not think the adhesive is fuel-proof. It might be alright for an electric but I would not use it on anything else.

Paul
After all, model aviation is not a matter of life or death - its more important than that!

Offline Terry Bolin

• Captain
  • Havin' the time of our lives!
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2010, 08:32:51 AM »
Towercoat is best for light weight electrics or indoor planes. Where not much strenth or weight is a issue..
It is not monokote though. Good luck!

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here