News:

• May 03, 2024, 04:06:29 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Toners and pigments  (Read 879 times)

Offline Bill Little

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
Toners and pigments
« on: January 23, 2011, 12:14:56 PM »
Ok, there are members here who actually make a living painting cars, etc,. and others who have dealt with this subject in the past.

Now.............. for those of you who HAVE (Mark S., Randy P, especially) dealt with mixing your own custom colors for use on model airplanes (dope finishes), SPELL OUT what you actually ask for, and get, to make a quart (or whatever quantity) of colored dope.

"Hi, I need DAL #xxxxxxxx , _____________"

Big Bear
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
Re: Toners and pigments
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2011, 02:16:32 PM »
Bill,
I am not much help here, I use dope base to get the airframe up to paint stage then I use the complete auto paint system, no dope.
Randy does, and from what I recall, he is using Dupont. the benefit of dupont is that the toners are pretty much jus tthat, toner, then you add the binder( which is a form of clear) so the paint store leaves the binder out, you end up with a pint can that has about about 1/3 or 1/2 full of toner, then you add clear dope. Randy will chime in and give details. Like I said, I just use the straight auto system from primer up
For years the rat race had me going around in circles, Now I do it for fun!
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2011, 08:05:22 PM »
It's pretty much what Mark says. Just ask them to mix the paint up without binder. Then add dope to the can (you very own binder). Couple of caveats. Make sure the color you are asking for doesn't have metallic or pearls in it or ask the paint guy to use dry versions. Sometimes, pearls or metallics or similar are added to paint and they are liquid and have a urethane carrier. The dry version is fine.

I go to the paint store with a color number. Just give the guy (or girl) the number and ask to have it mixed without binder (sometimes called base).
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Online Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2011, 01:56:59 PM »
It's pretty much what Mark says. Just ask them to mix the paint up without binder. Then add dope to the can (you very own binder). Couple of caveats. Make sure the color you are asking for doesn't have metallic or pearls in it or ask the paint guy to use dry versions. Sometimes, pearls or metallics or similar are added to paint and they are liquid and have a urethane carrier. The dry version is fine.

I go to the paint store with a color number. Just give the guy (or girl) the number and ask to have it mixed without binder (sometimes called base).
So, what you get is a can with dry powder in the bottom?
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2011, 03:16:33 PM »
Tim,

Not usually. The toners use a neutral carrier (acrylic usually) and are liquid. Perfectly compatible with butyrate lacquer. I'd say well over 90% of the paint I've had mixed the urethane carriers are not an issue. When mixed, the cans are anywhere from 25% to 75% full with just toner. I've had a few colors that used pearl or metallic additives and you just have to be careful that those ingredients are dry as those particular additives often come in a urethane carrier. I've had maybe two colors that this was an issue.

For instance, I just went to the auto paint store I use and had them mix up some yellow for me. I gave them the color number and name (Valencia Yellow). They mixed it up without binder. It did call for some silver paste additive. I asked if the additive was in a urethane carrier (these guys know me and don't flinch when I ask these sorts of questions). The guy looked it up and said, no, it was acrylic so I said go ahead and mix it up per directions (that they get from the computer). The can, a pint, was about 60% full of yellowish liquid when I took it home. I filled the rest of the can with clear dope (Certified) and stuck it in my paint mixer (a little vibrator job I got from Home Depot). Open the can and Viola!, yellow dope.

Had the silver paste been in a urethane carrier, I would have asked him to substitute the dry powder equivalent. He then would have put in a disclaimer that the resulting color wouldn't be an EXACT copy of the the color I requested. Extremely close, but not exact. They have to do that if they vary from the formula. Since I don't care really, I'd have said that's fine and still went off with my can of toners.
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Online Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2011, 09:29:59 PM »
AHA, mine did not have the "dry" base available, so it came in a liquid form of base. Mixed fine with clear, but will not dry or harden without an additive or hardener. I wonder if dope will go over this silver base and stay, or just sit on top and rub, flake off??

So far I have ab out 55% of the silver removed via sanding and acetone. Plus two more to do. I've rediscovered reading murder mysteries  LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~

Ty,  Is this: "One source for SIG dope and for real bright silver" the silver you're trying to wash off?  I am sorry for your pain, but hope to avoid the same problem sometime in the future.   :P Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2011, 09:48:12 PM »
Thanks Mark and Randy.  I will be very sure that I refer to not using a urethane carrier/base toner, and I will specify just acrylic or the dry substitute.

I felt teh toners/pigments would have to be pretty universal, at least not too many different types or it would be impractical for the jobbers to actually "mix" paint.  I can't see them having to have several different "system set ups", I figure most of the ones around here couldn't/wouldn't go for that.. 

I do have several dry powders here at home.  Pearls and "Venus Gold Dust" in particular.  I have some small samples of the HOK single application "Kandy Kolors".  HOK Apple Red is one where it looks like they have computer matched the "candy apple red over a gold base" and just mixed it in one paint.  I am going to test clear dope over a small panel to see if it is compatible.  If so, it will give me a lot of "trim options" for very little expense.  It seems to be part of the "air brush" line of HOK paints.  I just wish they were still "lacquer" since I never had a compatibility problem with those.

Thanks, again, guys.
Bill
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here