News:

• May 03, 2024, 03:58:43 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Tiny Bubbles do Not make me Happy  (Read 1644 times)

Online Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Tiny Bubbles do Not make me Happy
« on: January 17, 2011, 10:43:47 PM »
Not really pursuant to the new AMA rulings about the Nats that says that you can't fly unless you have built and finished your own handle, and that your plane must be built of ASTM certified steel or material of equivalent strength, but by fortuitous coincidence, I'm varnishing a couple of new hard point handles.

I'm brushing on Minwax 'fast dry' Polyurethane.  It seems to be great stuff, but I'm getting these little bubbles in the finish when I brush it on.  I can get rid of some of them by going over the thing a second time with long smooth quick strokes, but there's some left.

I assume that I'll have to build up a good thick coat of the varnish, then color sand and polish.  But I'd like to minimize the amount of post-painting work I do to this.

Any suggestions?  I don't want to miss out on a single appearance point in the 2011 Beginner's Pattern season here in the Pacific Northwest.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Wade Bognuda

• Commander
Re: Tiny Bubbles do Not make me Happy
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2011, 07:28:56 AM »
Suggestion? Use model airplane paint.............

Offline Jim Oliver

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2011, 08:35:53 AM »
Tim,
Are they "bubbles" or could it be "fisheye"?
Jim Oliver
AMA 18475

Offline Russell Shaffer

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2011, 09:02:41 AM »
You didn't shake the can?  If you cause bubbles in the container they will be a long time dissipating.
Russell Shaffer
Klamath Falls, Oregon
Just North of the California border

Online Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2011, 09:26:42 AM »
Russel: Nope.  It's clear, so it's clear that it's clear, if that's clear to you.

Jim: Definitely little bubbles.  I know what fisheye looks like, and this ain't that.

Wade:  I'm not sure whether I want to sigh in exasperation, or say "hmm...".  At any rate, this stuff is 1/3 to 1/4 the price of clear dope; I think I know what I want to use for non-flying applications.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2011, 10:22:41 AM »
You are wasting your time.  There is no appearance points in Beginner.  Of course the Northwest is a different country.  LL~ LL~

Now when you move up to Intermediate, why worry about the max of 20 points for appearance.  Make up the difference with flying and a good coach.   VD~
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2011, 02:10:36 PM »
Doc,

Tim is a craftsman. He wouldn't bring out less than his best effort.

I remember when Mark Scarborough first showed up. He had a Nats quality finish on an Oriental. No one believed he was a beginner ... until he took off. The guy is just a good builder and a professional painter.

You go Tim. Do us proud.
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Online Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2011, 02:39:04 PM »
Doc,

Tim is a craftsman. He wouldn't bring out less than his best effort.

I'm a perfectionist, and not in a good way.  If I waited to bring you my best effort I'd still be in the shop with the first plane I ever painted, over 30 years ago.  At some point you have to let go, tell yourself that you're just going to crash that sucker eventually anyway, and go fly.  I've never taken a plane to the flying field that I was really, truly, deep-down 100% happy with.

I remember when Mark Scarborough first showed up. He had a Nats quality finish on an Oriental. No one believed he was a beginner ... until he took off. The guy is just a good builder and a professional painter.

Mark is a craftsman.  He showed me how much work he put into sanding his Avenger.  (Yes, showed -- I wouldn't have believed how light a touch he needed with the sandpaper to keep from cutting through on the ribs if he hadn't shown me, and if I hadn't done silkspan & dope finishes over open bays before).  It's enough to scare me into learning how to do Monocoat right.

Me?  I'm just a hack with an attitude.
AMA 64232

Offline Wade Bognuda

• Commander
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2011, 06:40:25 PM »
Oops.... sorry I didn't read your post fully. Lemme get this foot outta my mouth and I'll be back HB~>

Online Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2011, 06:49:45 PM »
Leave the bubbles. If any one asks, tell them it is a "Don Ho" handle.  Bubbles, tiny bubbles, etc...... LL~ LL~ LL~
Does this post, then mean that I have tiny bubbles in my whine?
AMA 64232

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2011, 06:53:48 PM »
Tim, thanks for the praise,, I , like Randy and lots of others, arent ever truly satisfied,, a paint job is never finished, just given up on,

anyway, if you are painting the miniwax with a brush, I suspect that is part of your problem. fIrst stir it so you introduce no bubbles,, then use a foam brush, they will not put as many bubbles in the material as a standard brush. This from clearing cabinets after I build them
For years the rat race had me going around in circles, Now I do it for fun!
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Online Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2011, 07:11:40 PM »
Mark:

Thanks for the tip!  I just grabbed a foam brush and gave it a try -- no more bubbles!

Had you told me about that right off, I would have still used a brush, because no way would I have believed either that it would be an issue or that the foam would be anything but worse.

This may actually work out now.

Edit: Of course, I noticed about twenty minutes later that I had over-applied the paint, and I've got sags all over two handles now.  Sigh -- I'd just gotten to the point where I wasn't overdoing it with the brush.  Oh well, the next step was to wet sand anyway.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2011, 07:54:24 PM by Tim Wescott »
AMA 64232

Offline John KruziK

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2011, 07:28:16 PM »
Wouldnt those tiny bubbles be good for gripping with castor oil encrusted hands?
AMA 874027

Online Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2011, 06:39:35 PM »
Tim...If it matters, I used two coats of Z-Poxy epoxy finishing resin, sanded between coats. They were installed with acid brushes. The second coat looks just fine, undsanded. The grip was then covered with vinyl wrap, like Ty said...but mine was for fishing rods, not tennis rackets. One wrapping kit should probably do two handles. The handles and finishes have worked out wonderfully...I wouldn't change a thing.  :o Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Online Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2011, 07:42:47 PM »
Tim...If it matters, I used two coats of Z-Poxy epoxy finishing resin, sanded between coats. They were installed with acid brushes. The second coat looks just fine, undsanded. The grip was then covered with vinyl wrap, like Ty said...but mine was for fishing rods, not tennis rackets. One wrapping kit should probably do two handles. The handles and finishes have worked out wonderfully...I wouldn't change a thing.  :o Steve
I ended up sitting myself down and having a little talk about Things That Get Judged vs. Things That Sit In The Mud, then I accepted the little bubbles (and the little sags -- I just can not keep from over-applying paint), and went flying.

So far I haven't felt the need for any kind of grip enhancer -- but then, I haven't flown in a contest with sweaty palms, either.  Come summer I may have to do something.
AMA 64232

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2011, 10:30:55 AM »
Mark:

Had you told me about that right off, I would have still used a brush, because no way would I have believed either that it would be an issue or that the foam would be anything but worse.

This may actually work out now.

If we tell you everything all at once, you would have no more questions.   In my case I would forget most of it before I got home. LL~ LL~ LL~
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Jim Kraft

• Admiral
  • AMA78415
« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2011, 12:34:01 PM »
Tim; Maybe it's just me, but I would give you an 18 on your sagging bubble handle. I mean it is unique.
Jim Kraft

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2011, 11:50:08 PM »
I ended up sitting myself down and having a little talk about Things That Get Judged vs. Things That Sit In The Mud, then I accepted the little bubbles (and the little sags -- I just can not keep from over-applying paint), and went flying.

So far I haven't felt the need for any kind of grip enhancer -- but then, I haven't flown in a contest with sweaty palms, either.  Come summer I may have to do something.

Hi TIm,

My son swears by using the "wrap" on his handles.  I have used it, and sometimes don't. Guess I just got used to not using it a long time ago.  But I can see some advantages especially in hot weather.

The stuff he gets is cheap, and it removes with out leaving any residue at all.  He gets it from Wally World, somewhere in the Sporting Goods.  You could give it a try without much expenditure and see if you like it.  Hot weather is one time I think it really helps on a slick finished handle.  Of course "hot" here can be well over 100* actual air temp with the heat index up to 110*-115*.  A good flying day will be below 95* or so from late July through mid September usually!! LOL!!  A lot of perspiration starts to run down the forearms at times. ;D

Big Bear
(from Hades, NC where it is actually "snowing" at almost 2am right now! LOL!!)
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here