News:

• April 27, 2024, 09:58:47 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: thinner to dope ratio  (Read 1507 times)

Offline adam collver

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Ensign
thinner to dope ratio
« on: March 18, 2014, 09:45:33 AM »
I was wondering after you cover with silk span and put on colour for your top clear coat what would be the thinner to dope ratio.

Thanks
Adam

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: thinner to dope ratio
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2014, 09:58:15 AM »
That depends.  You want it thicker for brushing, thinner for spraying.  For all I know, if you've got an HVLP system you'll want a different viscosity than for old-style.

Now, if that doesn't make things vague enough, different brands of dope are thinner or thicker in the can -- Sig and (I think) Brodak are thinner, Randolph's is thicker.

Ideally you thin enough to get the right consistency, not to get some specific paint/thinner ratio.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline adam collver

• Ensign
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2014, 10:21:01 AM »
Thanks Tim Im using Randolph's and I'm brushing it on, before I colour and then span is on how many coats of clear do u put on before colour?
Thanks

Offline RC Storick

• Forum owner
  • Administrator
  • Admiral
  • The finish starts with the first piece of wood cut
    • Stunt Hangar
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2014, 10:34:58 AM »
About 3 coats will start to give a sheen sometimes four. Then apply color and apply clear after that. This all varies on your technique in application.
AMA 12366

Online Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2014, 04:42:57 PM »
Adam,
You might want to look at the Preval spray system. This is a simple cheap self contained spray system available from Home Depot. Here is the Preval web site http://store.preval.com/?gclid=CP_R-5SGnb0CFQ8OOgodvnoA1w. Each unit can cover 2 - 35 size ships. If you spray mix the clear 50/50, watch the temp and humidity (less than 80F and 68% Hum). If the humidity is higher you will need to add 1 -2 % retarder. Wait at least 1 hr between coats, 2 should do it for a top coat. After complete let it gas off at least a week before you fly.

If you brush, I think 40/60 thinner/dope. Use a very soft brush apply in one stroke to avoid softening and smearing the color.

Best,        DennisT

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here