News:

• May 03, 2024, 05:38:05 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: The color silver  (Read 629 times)

Offline Richard Koehler

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Lieutenant
The color silver
« on: May 22, 2012, 04:48:17 PM »
Has anyone found a fuelproof silver paint?  Both rustoleum aluminum and metallic silver spray are not fuelproof!

Online Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: The color silver
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2012, 05:01:58 PM »
I've heard that Wheel Brite clear lacquer will fuel-proof Rustoleum silver.

I recently discovered this fact for myself, followed shortly by the discovery that brushing dope on sort of works -- the dope does, indeed, fuel proof the Rustoleum.  But the Rustoleum isn't fuel proof, so brushing on the dope gives it a "brushed on metallic paint" effect, which you hardly want.

For some reason, the next canopy I painted was sky blue...
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2012, 07:11:12 PM »
Other than silver epoxy paint, and Butyrate Silver dope,  I would suspect you would need a urethane.  Maybe clear coat......

Bill
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Online Paul Wescott

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2012, 05:26:19 PM »
Use any silver paint you want then spray a coat of Klass Kote Epoxy clear.  Definitely do a test panel first.  Contact Nate at Klass Kote for the low-down on a modified spraying technique to help the Klass Kote "mate with" the color coat rather than attacking it if they are less than totally compatible (are any two chemical compounds ever fully compatible?).  It goes something like this: spray a mist coat from a couple inches farther away then you normally spray, dry a while, repeat the mist coat, dry a while, spray a full normal coat.  Now your subject is fuel proof and practically bomb-proof.  Klass Kote is TOUGH.

Enjoy!

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here