News:

• May 19, 2024, 04:42:38 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: testors award  (Read 1936 times)

Offline Mike Greb

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
testors award
« on: September 16, 2012, 02:55:50 PM »
At the Tusla Gluedobbers clubhouse there is the Testors apperance award from the 1965 or 64 Nats.   I was wondering if there is a list of the award winners and details  on the models?  It would be neet to trace that trophy to the  winner from so long ago.

Offline Don Hutchinson AMA5402

• 2014 Supporters
  • Captain
Re: testors award
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2012, 04:23:05 PM »
Not sure if this is the same type of award but back in the 50's, a Testors "Best Finished Model" plaques were given out at many local contests. Testors was a major dope supplier back then. I got one from a meet in Minneapolis in 1953. A nice wooden plaque about 8x6. Don't seem to have it anymore so no photo.
Don

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2012, 04:53:47 PM »
At the Tusla Gluedobbers clubhouse there is the Testors apperance award from the 1965 or 64 Nats.   I was wondering if there is a list of the award winners and details  on the models?  It would be neet to trace that trophy to the  winner from so long ago.

I believe that Ted Prasol (sp?) won the award about that time with his Cosmic Wind scale model. It was a cover shot in one of the mags then.

BIG Bear
RNMM/AMM
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline Dennis Saydak

• 23 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2012, 05:42:11 PM »
I won a Testors Award at the Fargo contest around 1962. My model was a Veco Thunderbird 2 powered with a Fox .35. It flew great at home but on my first atempt at the contest I set the engine too rich and it came in on the lines during the reverse wingover. The model was smashed to smithereens on the pavement and the engine was not salvageble either. I have never been able to equal the finish I put on the Tbird though.

Just when you think you're getting ahead in the rat race.....you find the rats just get faster! MAAC 13120L

Offline EddyR

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2012, 06:01:17 PM »
Don Ogren won the award at the 1956 or 57 Nats with his Saturn stunt plane. Here he is in 1998 with his original model and my replica which I flew in Classic this week end in Georgia.
Ed
Locust NC 40 miles from the Huntersville field

Offline Mike Greb

• Commander
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2012, 06:57:00 PM »
I googled Ted Prasol and found a picture of his tri-pacer from the 1962 Nat's.  Not finding anything from 64 or 65, but it is interesting to see the tidbits from that era.  It is quite interesting to see people that I have only known as older gentlemen when they were quite young in the early 60's.

Offline Bootlegger

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2012, 04:56:37 AM »

Seem's that somewhere in that time frame that Pactra had a "Best Finish" award also.
 Jerry Pilgrim from Dallas one it at our Baton Rouge contest in the late Sixties or early Seventies.
  He was flying his own design powered with a Super Tigre 46.

There also was a fellow from Dallas that raveled and flew with Jerry by the name of Bill Kuhn (spelling), don't know what happened to Bill, saw Jerry at a Dallas contest some years later, but he had stopped flying...
8th Air Force Veteran
Gil Causey
AMA# 6964

Offline Mike Keville

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2012, 06:47:13 PM »
In addition to those local awards, the Testors Corp. annually presented a large "Best Finish" trophy at the Nats (the old "Navy" Nats).  Among the winners, besides Ted Prasol, were W. Howard Thombs - former Nats Stunt winner - with a beautiful semi-scale biplane.

No proof exists, of course, although it's widely suspected that many of those finishes were actually Aero Gloss.
FORMER member, "Academy of Multi-rotors & ARFs".

Offline Trostle

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2012, 08:53:06 PM »
At the Tusla Gluedobbers clubhouse there is the Testors apperance award from the 1965 or 64 Nats.   I was wondering if there is a list of the award winners and details  on the models?  It would be neet to trace that trophy to the  winner from so long ago.

Interesting thread.  Yes, there was a Testors best finish award.  I am not sure if there was a perpetual trophy for that or not.  I do not recall seeing one in the AMA museum like where many of the old perpetual trophies from the earlier Nats now reside.  (Is the Tulsa Glue Dobbers perpetual trophy for the winning outdoor HL glider still being maintained?  I think that trophy stays in the Museum.)

I recently posted a Flying Models cover of Ted Prasol's Littler Tony, winner of the CL scale and Testors best finish award in '66.

Also shown here is another FM cover of Jerry Worth's P-26 that won CL Scale at the 64 Nats and was the winner of the Testors Award for superb finish.  (Jerry Worth also placed 12th in stunt at that 64 Nats, and was 9th in stunt in 66 and 3rd in 68.  His 68 stunt ship was the Apterix that is getting some attention now in Classic stunt circles.) There is another cover, I think FM from just before that time of John Tatone with a CL Navion that won the Testors award.  Also, I do not think it made a cover, but I think from the 68 or 70 Nats, there was a stunt ship that got the Testors award.  Maybe Dennis Adamisin can help us out here.  The airplane came from Detroit, built by a friend of the Adamisin's, and was either a Spitfire or a Dewoitine 520.  The one that won was one of those and Art Adamisin had the other that looked almost as good.  I do not have a picture.

As suggested, it would be very interesting to resarch this to see the airplanes and builders who got this Nats award that was considered a very prestigious affair.

Keith
« Last Edit: September 20, 2012, 08:34:29 PM by Trostle »

Offline Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2012, 08:30:57 AM »
Thanks for the shout-out Keith!

Our old flying buddy LeRoy Gunther of Allen Park MI won the Testors Best Finish perpetual award at the 1970, 71 & (I think) 1972 NATs.  Pictured below is Gunny's 1970 winner with the trophy.  The airplane was a Jerry Worth's Spitfire but modified to a fully sheeted wing.  Very good looking airplane that flew well, and of course, this one was built/finished to near perfection.  In 1971 Gunny entered & won with a highly modified Gieske Nobler built to the same level of quality.  Dad has Gunny's Spitfire and Nobler hanging in his basement.

I do not know when the perpetual trophy stopped being awarded.

Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

As I've grown older, I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake!

Offline EddyR

• Admiral
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2012, 02:05:06 PM »
Keith   The plane that I show above is the 1956 Testors award winner. Also Don may have won the award in 1957 with another I-beam model,his Zero. Don model would still make front row if not for the covering damage. Johnson .35 with home made tube muffler.
Ed
Locust NC 40 miles from the Huntersville field

Offline Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2012, 10:05:47 AM »
Ty & Mike:
Gunny used Pactra Aero Gloss.  I think the choice was practical as much as anything else - Randolphs worked well expecially for base coats because it was inexpensive and could be thinned a lot.  However the over-the shelf color choices at the LHS were pretty slim.  Besides it seemed easier to get a good shine out of the Aerogloss.  

Today's trivia question: I do not recall ever seeing Testors paints in anything larger than those neat 4-oz square bottles.  Was it available in pints quarts & gallons?
« Last Edit: September 23, 2012, 04:47:44 PM by Dennis Adamisin »
Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

As I've grown older, I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake!

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2012, 03:38:32 PM »
I think I only saw clear in pints and quarts.   Seems the colors were so thick that a 4 ounce jar would do on plane.
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2012, 04:29:24 PM »
Hi Brother Denny!

I have some pints that came out very late in the production of Testors Dope.  Not sure of the year but I think no later than the early '70s.

BIG Bear
RNMM/AMM
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline John Sunderland

• Captain
« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2012, 05:41:47 PM »
Awesome thread! I confess I never had a chance to use Testors dope or paint except for plastic models. And I was never thrilled with Aerogloss as a kid. Mostly because I had no clue to use it. Learning how to use a brush with dope was a trick not yet in my repertoire until the early 70's ..and I had some warped wings to prove it! ;D

I remember this not so fondly only because I work in the finish department for a good size architectural millwork and design company. The last thing I want to do at night in order to relax is to paint anything ever again! LL~

However, gorgeous original design and finish is what drew me in as a child other than my dad did it. It was the ability to create! In a form that was not only physical but symbolicly an expression of self. And most importantly, we were flying!

Offline Will Davis

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2012, 04:56:08 PM »
Dennis,

When I visited your dad in June of this year , he showed me the testors plane , the finish was equal to some of the best today, a little worn with time , but you could tell the quality was there , I would love to see a collection of the testors best finish planes , a lot of history that needs to be preserved

Will
Will Davis
"Carolina Gang"

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here