News:

• April 28, 2024, 10:19:59 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Test Panels  (Read 789 times)

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Test Panels
« on: March 23, 2011, 08:09:33 PM »
I know Randy frequently sprays on empty thinner and fuel cans. Is there something else that works well? I was thinking more like white posterboard. It would require a sealer coat first. How about a piece of glass or plexiglass?  I haven't sprayed a model since the speed flying days...one coat, one color, epoxy, no topcoat. No reason to do test panels. Since, everything has been brushed  clear dope over tissue, or spraycan Forumula U.  n~ Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Randy Ryan

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
Re: Test Panels
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2011, 08:43:07 PM »
I know Randy frequently sprays on empty thinner and fuel cans. Is there something else that works well? I was thinking more like white posterboard. It would require a sealer coat first. How about a piece of glass or plexiglass?  I haven't sprayed a model since the speed flying days...one coat, one color, epoxy, no topcoat. No reason to do test panels. Since, everything has been brushed  clear dope over tissue, or spraycan Forumula U.  n~ Steve

Steve, I try to save those glossy cardboard boxes some many things come it and test spray on them. I've also sprayed the side of my plastic trashcan. Coro-plast might work too, look around for discarded yardsale signs and the like, most of the store-bought ones are Coro-plast now. A piece of glass might work too and even be reusable. Hmmm, Why didn't I think of that before?
Randy Ryan <><
AMA 8500
SAM 36 BO all my own M's

Offline Steve Helmick

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2011, 09:14:50 PM »
Corro-Plast....political signs! I could paint them, and put them back, refreshed and improved.  Randy, you're a Genius!!!!  010! Steve

PS: I was referring to Randy Powell in the original post, but thanks for answering.
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2011, 09:26:00 PM »
Steve, any surface that is texture free is appropriate for a test panel if all you are doing is testing color and spray gun technique. Just make sure you are spraying over the same substrate material ie if your plane is dope, then you need to be spraying over dope. One thing to keep in mind, different substrates will cause different "lay down" on your spray coats. as a result of solvent evaporation variances.
For years the rat race had me going around in circles, Now I do it for fun!
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2011, 10:05:27 PM »
Like recently I was doing a test panel to decide if the undercoat color I was using was going to work under a candy color I was using so using an old thinner can worked fine. But if I were testing something like whether a substrate was going to work with a color coat, I'd probably use something like a prepped panel (balsa built up just like a finish) or something like slick cardboard or similar. Sort of depends on what you are testing.
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Randy Ryan

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2011, 07:47:48 AM »
Guess I should have mentioned that when I do this I am normally only looking at the spray pattern. If you want comparative results for your finish you need to replicate the base you'll be using.
Randy Ryan <><
AMA 8500
SAM 36 BO all my own M's

Offline PJ Rowland

• AUS - 29541 AMA - 809970
  • Admiral
  • Melbourne - AUSTRALIA
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2011, 06:28:15 PM »
I will usually build 1 extra Flap and prefinsish that at the same time I do everything else. Helps to get colours and test panels sorted.

Good point tho - you must do it at the same time.
If you always put limit on everything you do, physical or anything else. It will spread into your work and into your life. There are no limits. There are only plateaus, and you must not stay there, you must go beyond them.” - Bruce Lee.

I Yearn for a world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned.

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2011, 08:41:27 PM »
Or at least with the same materials.
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline PJ Rowland

• AUS - 29541 AMA - 809970
  • Admiral
  • Melbourne - AUSTRALIA
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2011, 07:58:22 AM »
Nope MUST be a flap.. I sayz so.
If you always put limit on everything you do, physical or anything else. It will spread into your work and into your life. There are no limits. There are only plateaus, and you must not stay there, you must go beyond them.” - Bruce Lee.

I Yearn for a world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned.

Offline Steve Helmick

• Admiral
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2011, 07:11:06 PM »
Nope MUST be a flap.. I sayz so.

Maybe it must only cause a flap? Old F1A wings was my original plan.   BW@ Steve

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here