News:

• April 27, 2024, 07:21:24 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Surface Prep for Monokote  (Read 1190 times)

Offline JHildreth

• 23 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
Surface Prep for Monokote
« on: August 15, 2023, 08:59:19 PM »
I haven't used Monokote on an airplane in a number of years.  Back in my RC days I used is regularly and applied Balsarite as a surface prep to enhance adhesion.  Balsarite is no longer available so I am looking for a substitute.  I have searched both the internet and Stunt Hanger and found three possibilities;  Cover Grip by Deluxe Materials,  Mod Podge,  and Minwax Poly Crylic.  I have no experience with any of these products so I am looking for recommendations.  Thanks.

Joe

Offline Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Surface Prep for Monokote
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2023, 11:57:36 PM »
Joe, I do NOT recommend Mod Podge.  I used it on Endgame, and I am disappointed. It has a super adhesive quality, in my opinion better than Balsarite but it has some negatives that I was not expecting.  It has bubbled up in several places under the monokote and given the appearance of sharkskin. It may be that it needed to dry longer, or I waited too long.  Don't know.  I put on two coats a day apart and sanded glass smooth before applying the Monokote.  Crist is the one you need get with.  His planes look first class.  I think he puts it directly on the raw balsa.

I have also used Poly Crylic.  It helped fill the grain but not much on the adhesion.  My best results on wings have been raw balsa, lots of heat with a gun and rubbing with a cotton cloth while it is still too hot to touch.  Good luck, hope to see you at the field soon!

Ken
AMA 15382
If it is not broke you are not trying hard enough.
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Offline Motorman

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2023, 09:40:05 AM »
There's Sig Stixit. After you sand out the frame, blow off the dust with compressed air or use a vacuum cleaner on it.  Then I thin the Stixit 50/50 with laquer thinner and brush on one coat only. After it dries if it seems too prickly lightly brush it with 400 paper and blow off the dust again. Go a little easy on the heat of the iron. If you use full strenght, put on too many coats or use too much heat it will bubble up.
Hope that helps,
MM 8)

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2023, 12:00:10 PM »
I use Mod-Podge straight from the jar.  Brush it with the chip brushes from HF.  Let it dry and I do not sand it.  I also put doc paper on before the Monokote and have good results.  On open bays do not seal the doc paper.   D>K
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2023, 11:37:43 PM »
I haven't used Monokote on an airplane in a number of years.  Back in my RC days I used is regularly and applied Balsarite as a surface prep to enhance adhesion.  Balsarite is no longer available so I am looking for a substitute.  I have searched both the internet and Stunt Hanger and found three possibilities;  Cover Grip by Deluxe Materials,  Mod Podge,  and Minwax Poly Crylic.  I have no experience with any of these products so I am looking for recommendations.  Thanks.

Joe

I use absolutely nothing, sand it carefully up to 400 grit, blow and vacuum it absolutely clean. Then just apply it. Any time I have tried any of adhesion enhancers, I could never get the kind of surface finish I get with bare wood, and I have essentially never had it come up. If you get it properly hot and the adhesive to flow, it will stick.

Brett

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2023, 07:35:52 AM »
I have had very good results by sanding smooth the wood with 400 grit sandpaper, cleaning off with a tag rag then applying one coat of Balsarite for Film to the wood. This soaks in, sand lightly with 400 grit sandpaper, clean off with tag rag and apply film with low heat. Be careful to get the film on smooth as once it is on with this approach you will not be able to pull it up without separating the color from the top sheet.

Best,   DennisT

Offline Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2023, 09:05:57 AM »
I wonder if thinning Mod Podge would be better than full strength, if so with what.  I don't think it soaks in enough.  I am OK with bare wood on the wings but for fuselages, you need more if you are going to do fillets.  Balsarite was great but it is no longer available.

Ken

FYI - there are a small number of us that have no choice but to use Monokote, I am one of them so I have to do fillets.  It can be done but so far I have not been able to duplicate paint in that area.  Maybe I never will.
AMA 15382
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2023, 07:17:11 PM »
If you look at my planes you will see filets as such.  I put a strip of MonoKote in the joints. D>K
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2023, 07:50:11 PM »
If you look at my planes you will see filets as such.  I put a strip of MonoKote in the joints. D>K
I do the same and it works to give the plane a decent "don't get closer than 5'" presentation.

Ken
AMA 15382
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Offline Colin McRae

• Captain
  • Are we having fun yet??
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2023, 04:02:07 PM »
In case anyone is interested, I have tried this product when I use an iron-on covering. Seems to work well so far. I did see it on a few hobby shop web sites, however, all out of stock. I did find it on eBay.

Offline realSteveSmith

• 24 supporter
  • Ensign
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2023, 08:17:00 PM »
In case anyone is interested, I have tried this product when I use an iron-on covering. Seems to work well so far. I did see it on a few hobby shop web sites, however, all out of stock. I did find it on eBay.

FYI...Horizon Hobby is the US Importer for Deluxe Materials, who manufacturers Cover Grip, so most hobby shops should be able to easily get it for you.  If not, go direct. 

https://www.horizonhobby.com/product/cover-grip-150-ml/DLMAD22.html
AMA 175438

Offline JHildreth

• 23 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2023, 08:27:53 PM »
Thanks to all who responded.  I appreciate your comments.

Joe

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here