News:

• May 13, 2024, 05:02:05 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Super Fil Thinner?  (Read 2255 times)

Offline Douglas Ames

• 2014 Supporters
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Super Fil Thinner?
« on: April 14, 2015, 06:42:37 PM »
What are you using to thin out Super Fil? I have some that is the consistency of cookie dough and needs to be a little smoother to work with.
Alcohol or MEK?
AMA 656546

If you do a little bit every day it will get done, or you can do it tomorrow.

Offline Larry Borden

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
Re: Super Fil Thinner?
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2015, 07:38:43 PM »
I use water.

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2015, 07:58:34 PM »
 To me it seems really thick out of the containers but then thins out decently once the two parts are mixed thoroughly. From there I'll apply it to the model and then use the finger dipped in alcohol trick for smoothing things out. Using some light reflection down the sight lines also helps you decide how you're doing during the smoothing process. If done well about all you'll need to do after it cures it scuff sand and feather it in prior to your finishing routine.
Narrowly averting disaster since 1964! 

Wayne Willey
Albert Lea, MN U.S.A. IC C/L Aircraft Modeler, Ex AMA member

Offline Douglas Ames

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2015, 10:43:11 PM »
Yeah, I use the wet finger technique. It just goes on pretty thick.
Makes very nice fillets though!
AMA 656546

If you do a little bit every day it will get done, or you can do it tomorrow.

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2015, 10:49:45 PM »
The general rule of thumb that I know is -- don't let epoxy stay thinned.  Epoxy doesn't harden by drying, so if you thin it and the solvent doesn't have time to escape it just prevents the molecules of epoxy from bonding together.

You can thin epoxy, but only if you use it in a thin film (like painting a tank compartment) and only if the thinner will flash off before the epoxy gets serious about setting.

I suppose that it doesn't matter much for fillets, because they don't need much strength, but I'd just use it out of the can, and if the stuff in the can is thickening, I'd get new.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Larry Borden

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2015, 08:13:08 AM »
When the Super-Fil gets too thick in the containers, I apply a small amount of water and stir to a good consistency. I then mix how ever much I need. After I have applied the Super-Fil, I then wet my finger with water and proceed to smooth the fillet. I have been using this method for several years and it works great. Love this stuff, easy to sand.

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2015, 07:11:07 PM »

I might be thinking of something else here, but it seems like I heard just recently somewhere that you could also microwave the separate containers for a few seconds to soften it up. As far as the original post question above, I wouldn't try thinning it with anything.

Wayne Willey

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2015, 10:02:23 PM »
personally I would never thin any two part system with water unless it was directed by the manufacture ( do as you see fit,, its your plane),, I throw mine in the micro for 10 seconds, just enough to feel it warm a touch,, then as was mentioned,, it becomes less viscous as you mix the two parts,, I started warming it when after sitting for a couple years ( yeah,, Wayne,, I know build more right),, it started to separate resin from filler,, warming it allowed me to re-blend the components and be more workable,, I resist adding solvents,, thinners or any viscosity modifying agents unless specified in user instructions,,

as to fillets not needing to be strong,, I am not sure I agree here,, the wing fuse joint,, and the stab joint are high stress areas,, weak fillet material can allow all sorts of nasties,, cracking,, and so on,,
For years the rat race had me going around in circles, Now I do it for fun!
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2015, 10:02:46 AM »
I use Mark's method. Throw the two containers in the microwave for like 15 seconds and you can remix the resin and filler together pretty easily (it does tend to separate in the container) then just mix it up and off you go. Works well for me.
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2015, 10:13:22 PM »
I started warming it when after sitting for a couple years ( yeah,, Wayne,, I know build more right)...

Actually Mark, you got me on that one. I've had my batch at least two or three years and it's not even half gone. I did use some recently though and it mixed up and worked just fine.

Wayne Willey

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here