News:

• May 31, 2024, 11:04:48 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Super Fil  (Read 1842 times)

Offline Dan Bregar

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
  • Field Marshall
Super Fil
« on: April 18, 2012, 04:12:57 AM »
Does anyone know if you can thin Super Fil with a little acetone or alcohol, instead of using it straight out of the containers. I'm using the blue epoxy based filler from Aircraft Spruce & Specialty, and it's kind of thick for some applications.  :)
AMA 33676

Offline Don Curry AMA 267060

• Commander
Re: Super Fil
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2012, 09:58:42 AM »
Alcohol works. Go slow as it is added as a little does a lot. You can also use alcohol on you finger to smooth and shape it easier. By doing that the finish will be a lot smoother so it needs less sanding.
Don

Offline Wynn Robins

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2012, 02:01:48 PM »
thin it with alcohol - be aware that the cure time will be a LOT longer if you thin it....
In the battle of airplane versus ground, the ground is yet to lose

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2012, 02:31:41 PM »
Hi Dan,

I use light weight spackling compound if I need a thinner filler.

BIG Bear
RNMM/AMM
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline Dan Bregar

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
  • Field Marshall
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2012, 04:14:07 PM »
Thanks Guys !  :)
AMA 33676

Offline Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2012, 10:30:14 AM »
I recently got some from Aircraft Spruce.  It was thick and hard to work with.  Everybody else loves it.  Dan's experience adds to my suspicion that we got a bad batch. 
The Jive Combat Team
Making combat and stunt great again

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2012, 12:21:14 PM »
I just got some also but it's very creamy and easy to fix. If yours is thick, it's probably old. But as has been noted, a bit of denatured alcohol (often just a tiny bit) will thin it out very well. The batch I just used the end of was getting pretty thick, but I've had that batch for about 2 years and it is subject to evaporation. a little denatured alcohol made it work fine.
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Dan Bregar

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
  • Field Marshall
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2012, 05:22:47 PM »
Randy

Yeah, just a little alcohol works fine.  It's easy to use too much. I'm learning from you guys. Just got this stuff about a month ago from Aircraft Spruce.  Maybe it would help if I stirred the containers some. This stuff sands great though.  :)
AMA 33676

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2012, 05:32:50 PM »
I have seen it settle a bit, a bit of prestirring is recommended,,
For years the rat race had me going around in circles, Now I do it for fun!
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline billbyles

• AMA Member
  • Captain
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2012, 10:20:49 PM »
I have seen it settle a bit, a bit of prestirring is recommended,,

Hi Mark,

It will always settle - that is the epoxy resins separating from the filler material over time due to gravity.  It states right on the label "After long storage, stir both components well before combining."  I just use a wooden paint stirring stick and stir the stuff until it is fully homogenized.  Both parts "A" & "B" must be stirred, but (& this seems like a blinding flash of the obvious but it's important) don't use the same stick for both parts (or at least don't use the same end of the stick for both parts.)  I know you are aware of all this, Mark, but for new users of this really good filler material I thought it might be worth stating.
Bill Byles
AMA 20913
So. Cal.

Online wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2012, 10:34:50 PM »
 I just recently got ahold of some Super Fil for the first time. I've already used some of it in a couple of spots on the nose area of my current "Nobler Bash" project. It sets up slightly harder than I expected, but I can already see that for certain applications I'm gonna really like this blue stuff. y1
Narrowly averting disaster since 1964! 

Wayne Willey
Albert Lea, MN U.S.A. IC C/L Aircraft Modeler, Ex AMA member

John Leidle

« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2012, 08:41:30 AM »
  I finally tried something different for the first time. I bought some Superfil & the blue part wasnt mixed thouroly ...also bought another type of their 2 part epoxy putty  its a tan ot light pink stuff it seems stronger than Super fil  both are easier to work with & a WHOLE lot cheaper than Sig Epoxolite which I used for 20 years. I always put theheat gun on Epoxolite to get it easier to smooth .Still need a test on the 3 for strength .
   John

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2012, 06:40:45 PM »
I just recently got ahold of some Super Fil for the first time. I've already used some of it in a couple of spots on the nose area of my current "Nobler Bash" project. It sets up slightly harder than I expected, but I can already see that for certain applications I'm gonna really like this blue stuff. y1

HI Wayne,

I only use Super Fil for fillets.  Lightweight Spackling or "red lead" spot putty for everything else.  30 years and the spackling hasn't come apart, fell off, or shrunk so I figure it must be ok.

BIG Bear
RNMM/AMM
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

larry borden

« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2012, 09:24:03 PM »
The thinning with alcohol works and if you overdo it, it turns into a big blue blob. lol  I kept mixing it on a piece of glass I use and the blob kept trying to run off the glass. But eventually some of the alcohol dissipated enough to let me apply it to the SWIFT.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here