News:

• May 01, 2024, 08:19:09 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Stick-um for water soluble decals ????  (Read 775 times)

Online Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Stick-um for water soluble decals ????
« on: October 19, 2009, 07:08:23 AM »
I've been making water soluble decals by the process featured in Control Line World with a pretty good degree of success.  I do everything as recommended by Richard Oliver.  There has been some failure rate related to the exact technique for applying the Krylon Clear Coat, but I can deal with that.

My question is:
Exactly what is the water soluble adhesive used between the decal than and the throw-away paper backing?  Sometimes (actually all too often), this glue gets washed away around the edges and it would be nice to beef it up with some of the same stuff

Volitile stuff like dope and CA messes up the process and the underlaying finish. 
Paul Smith

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
Re: Stick-um for water soluble decals ????
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2009, 08:52:12 AM »
Paul,

I have no idea what adhesive they use. I do know that since I stopped using acrylic clears like Krylon Crystal Clear, I stopped having problems with the edges of the decal curling up and the colors fading. I also stopped having to put numerous coats of clear over the top to get the edges to disappear. I started just shooting clear dope on them. Two or three coats prior to cutting them out and putting them on the plane. I don't know if I had a technique issue or if there was a compatibility issue somewhere, but using dope to seal the decals seems to have resolved several issue for me.
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Online Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2009, 12:32:19 PM »
I'll take a shot at that.

When I first started this process, I tried to seal the decals with some other rattlle-can clear products and they didn't work.  The clear fused he decal to it's backing so firmly that it would never soak off.  On the recommended Krylon worked.  But I didn't try clear dope.  So I'll give that a shot. 

But I'm still looking for the actual glue that comes with the decal as a base plan.

Getting rid of the Krylon would be nice.  I like to finish a model in JUST ONE product for future repair work.
Paul Smith

Offline John Miller

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2009, 02:26:18 PM »
I think the dope overcoat is a great idea. Back in the 50's, I used to make my own decals by applying clear dope to brown tape, the kind that you had to wet to make it sticky, and then applying the design to the doped patch.

I used it exactly like a normal waterslide decal.  H^^
Getting a line on life. AMA 1601

Offline Bob Reeves

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Somethin'Xtra Inc.
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2009, 04:37:27 PM »
I don't shoot them with anything till they are in place on the airplane then shoot it with clear when I shoot the airplane.  I am real carefull with the first couple coats, too heavy and it will melt. You also have to be real carefull when applying but I usually make enough spares to be able to mess up a few.

Online Matt Colan

• N-756355
  • AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2009, 04:55:16 PM »
I talked to Phil Granderson about this, and he says to use clear dope to seal the ink, light coats also!  He did say to keep the decal away from sunlight since it will fade quickly if kept in the sun without clear dope on it when it is drying.  If you are using an inkjet printer, it can take blue ink to dry up to a week to dry.  When the decal gets on the plane, spray over it with 2-3 light coats of clear dope, then spray the whole airplane with clear like you normally would.  I've made up a couple documents with wordart that I'm gonna print out in decal form.  They do sell decal paper and with plenty to choose from so I won't list a website, just need to google it.

Matt Colan

Offline Larry Renger

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2009, 05:56:40 PM »
I have been using Micro-Mark and other decal paper with pretty good success lately.  There are 4 basic types:  Clear or White in Laser or Inkjet.

Clear is fine if you have dark colors or are going over a white base.  White is better if you have light colors you need to put over a darker base.

Inkjet is great if you don't need to clearcoat the model and rub it out.  Otherwise you need to pre-coat it with a compatible clear-coat before application.  If I am doing a Butyrate finish, I use clear, non tautining in several misted coats to protect the ink, then apply it and apply the final clear to the model.  If it is on, say Monokote or Coverlite, I hit it with misted coats of Clear gloss or matte Lustercoat to build up a barrier, then apply it.

For finishes that will be clear coated, then rubbed out, I prefer the Laser material.  Clear vs White base is the same.  The advantage is that you can immediately apply the decal, and it is VERY thin.  When you clearcoat over it, the edges will dissapear.  For the ultimate pro finish, this is the ticket.

Now, how to do the Laser decals:  Since I don't have a laser printer (the ultimate!), I print my art on top quality photo paper at maximum quality.  Then I take it to Staples with my laser paper and copy it with their machine.  DO NOT go to Kinko's, as their machines run too hot and the paper will stick.

When applying I use a drop or two of dish detergent in a cup of water in a pie tin, wipe down the target surface with it and soak the decal in that water.  The decal will curl up like you won't believe.  Leave it!!!  Pull it out of the water and set it aside for several minutes until it relaxes.  Then it may be slid off without cracking.  

What is happening is that the paper base expands with the water, but the decal is rigid, thus the curl.  When the adhesive softens, the decal can slide a bit and the curl comes out.
Think S.M.A.L.L. y'all and, it's all good, CL, FF and RC!

DesignMan
 BTW, Dracula Sucks!  A closed mouth gathers no feet!

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here