News:

• May 22, 2024, 03:47:40 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Stick on vinyl letters and mumbers comming loose from heat.  (Read 682 times)

Offline Jim Kraft

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • AMA78415
Stick on vinyl letters and mumbers comming loose from heat.
« on: September 12, 2011, 03:57:08 PM »
I do not know how many of you do your numbers and letters quick and dirty like me, but I had a problem with mine comming loose around the edges after setting in my van in the hot sun for a few days. It was well over 100 deg. outside, and way over that in the van. I tried sticking them back down with a Kote iron, but that did not work. I knew they stick really tight, and they were over silk and dope, with clear dope over them. What to do? I spied my heat gun over in the corner, and used it to heat them up a little to where I could get a finger nail under the edge, and they came right off. I then sanded the ridge down that was left, and stuck down new ones in the same place. I will wait till they dry for a day, sand them lightly with 600 grit wet, and give them a few coats of clear dope. They will look better than new. I have planes that are over ten years old that have never given me this trouble, but this has been an extremely hot summer, and I won't leave it in the van for days anymore.
Jim Kraft

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
Re: Stick on vinyl letters and mumbers comming loose from heat.
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2011, 08:40:51 AM »
FWIW, there are a great number of different vinyl formulations out there, some are designed to be easy to remove, some are designed to be virtually impossible to remove.
A competent vendor, or sign cutter will be able to direct you to the proper vinyl for the job.
For years the rat race had me going around in circles, Now I do it for fun!
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Jim Kraft

• Admiral
  • AMA78415
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2011, 10:25:12 AM »
Yeah Mark; I get mine at Hobby Lobby, the craft store. They are the ones that stick so tight that you can't remove them without pulling up paint or tearing the covering. But heat will work to remove them easily. Been using them for years without problems until now. They just don't like the 125+ deg. heat in my van.
Jim Kraft

Offline Jack Pitcher

• 23 supporter
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2011, 11:47:47 AM »
I had some good luck just sticking the loose corners/edges back down with Sigment. My first full body stunter had local sign shop vinyl letters on Monokote. After some time the oil and repeated cleaning wipe downs started to loosen & lift the edges. I folded them back a bit and cleaned the best I could with alcohol and glued them back down. That seemed to work quite well. Sadly that airplane was later stolen out of my garage including a freshly broken-in and mounted ST.46. Ugh! Never saw hide nor hair of it again.

Jack
Jack Pitcher
Vortex Stunt Team
AMA 65309

Offline Jim Kraft

• Admiral
  • AMA78415
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2011, 12:19:18 PM »
Thanks for that Jack. Sigment is good stuff. I will try it if I ever have this problem again.
Jim Kraft

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Just here for the fun of it also.
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2011, 01:25:37 AM »
Most if not all sign shops use only quality vinyl. In spite of the fact I offer and produce model graphics, I still advise modelers how to "do it yourself" AND how to acquire free vinyl.

It's easy! Just walk into any sign shop and ask for left overs. You would be surprised as to what these shops through out.

Pointless saving scraps because they generally never get used. Shops know this.
Here's the thing. Once a shop knows you have interest in their scraps, they will save them for you. And larger pieces yet!

Another thing. shops use "transfer paper." This allows for a multi-character word to be put in place with all letters together. You can score this stuff also. Short rolls are tossed.

In the future, I'll address how to make letters, numbers and graphics.

Hope this was helpful!

Charles,

"Model airplane graphics from a model airplane builder."
Trump Derangement Syndrome. TDS. 
Avaiojet Derangement Syndrome. ADS.
Amazing how ignorance can get in the way of the learning process.
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Offline Derek Barry

• Admiral
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2011, 04:58:37 AM »
As Ty stated, I make vinyl stencils for my stunt buddies at reasonable prices. I use a very high quality paint mask and cut it with a 56" vinyl plotter, so big jobs are no problem.

Derek

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Just here for the fun of it also.
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2011, 10:15:12 AM »
Not cleaning the surface properly before application could be a reason the vinyl isn't sticking.

Harsh cleaning chemicals can also have an effect on vinyl edges.

I've been making vinyl graphics and paint masks, for modelers, for 15 years. I've never had anyone mention vinyl not sticking.

See if I can get photos in the Post of my work and customer's models.

This link will take you to many photo of customer's great looking models!

http://www.rcuniverse.com/community/profile.cfm?section=gallery&memid=11343
Trump Derangement Syndrome. TDS. 
Avaiojet Derangement Syndrome. ADS.
Amazing how ignorance can get in the way of the learning process.
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here