News:

• May 01, 2024, 09:00:12 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Spray/sand/spray?  (Read 1180 times)

Offline Brian Massey

• 2016 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
    • California Car Clubs
Spray/sand/spray?
« on: March 05, 2010, 05:46:44 PM »
I'm currently in the finishing stage of a plane, and for my first time I am spraying. I'm spraying outside so some "stuff" inlcuding a nat or two have gotten in the paint. I've wet sanded once (600) and have sprayed two lite coats since. The finish now has a rough feel. I would like to lightly wet sand again (800 this time) to smooth out the feel before starting the trim colors. Is there anything basically wrong with this sequence? Is there a better way?

I'm using Reynolds butyrate dope over silk.

Thanks,

Brian
While flying the pattern, my incompetence always exceeds my expectations.

AMA 55421
Madera, CA

Offline Randy Ryan

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
Re: Spray/sand/spray?
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2010, 06:40:14 PM »
Hi Brian,

Nothing wrong with your sequence but there is no need to go as fine as 800 preparing for color coats. As a matter of fact, that's too fine and the color may not stick. 400 is probably as fine as you should go, it will give plenty of "tooth" to hold the paint and the paint will fill it and level. You could almost polish top coat after sanding with 800

You said you you sprayed 2 light coats of dope and it feels rough. Well, that's normal, what you need to do is shoot a wet flowing coat on it and the roughness will for the most part go away. Whats happened if that the light coats dryed too fast to flow out.
Randy Ryan <><
AMA 8500
SAM 36 BO all my own M's

Offline Brian Massey

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • California Car Clubs
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2010, 07:08:58 PM »
I'll check the manual on the gun, I know there's a way to spray more paint, I may have had it cut back too much trying to avoid runs. Like I said, this is my first time spraying, so I'm sure I'm making all the usual bonehead mistakes.

Thanks for your input.

One thing I've discovered for sure, a sprayed coat of white shows EVERY flaw you thought would be "OK".  HB~> HB~> Like I said, I'm learning.  #^

Brian

AMA 55421
Madera, CA

Offline Brian Massey

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • California Car Clubs
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2010, 09:34:22 PM »
Hi Ty; I was using retarder, the sprayed mixture was about equal 1/3rds of dope, thinner and retarder. I was just guessing on the formula. The ambient temp was in the mid 50's and overcast. I can only guess at the humidity; it's rained for the past few days and the ground is damp to wet.

I'm open to any and all comments/insights/suggestions.

Even with all the mistakes/errors, I sure am having fun! This plane will make it's "Contest Debut" at the Northwest Regionals at Eugene in May . . . that is if it flys.  ~^ ~^

Brian

AMA 55421
Madera, CA

Offline Randy Ryan

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2010, 02:02:01 PM »
That's an awflul lot of retarder. I learned the hard way to very seldom go over 15% retarder.  That stuff just never seems to let the dope dry and goes all the way to the very first coat.  With high humidity and that much retarder, the dope should not have felt rough.  Hmmmm. Randy & Randy, any thoughts on this?

That is an awful lot of retarder, like Ty, 15% is probably the max you should use. It sound like the thickness should be about right but I think I'd go to 40% dope 45% thinner and the rest retarder
Randy Ryan <><
AMA 8500
SAM 36 BO all my own M's

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2010, 07:04:09 AM »
Years and years ago I tried retarder in dope per our local expert at the time.  It did not work for me.  If the clear dope happens to cloud up I usually wait for a cool day and repaint the clear.  Of course being in between Missouri and Kansas, almost on state line.  All I have to do if the weather isn't right is wait another day.  Sometimes it is even in hours, like yesterday. H^^
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Brian Massey

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • California Car Clubs
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2010, 12:26:02 PM »
Thanks again everyone. I'm in So Cal now visiting kids/grandkids and won't be back home till Saturday. Depending on weather I'll wet sand (400 grit) and reformulate the dope and try again. I appreciate all the input and comments.

Brian

AMA 55421
Madera, CA

Offline Brian Massey

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • California Car Clubs
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2010, 10:08:55 AM »
I adjusted the amount of retarder, adjusted the gun for a "heavier" spray and shot my color trim. It made a huge difference!  #^ I got that nice wet look and the paint flowed very well.

I haven't shot the clear yet, that's coming later this week. I read somewhere here to touch the edges of the trim with 600 grit. What if I sanded the entire plane with 800 or 1000 prior to the clear. Would that help or hurt?

Thanks all for your help!

Brian

AMA 55421
Madera, CA

Offline Balsa Butcher

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
  • High Desert Flier
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2010, 01:21:49 PM »
Just one modeler's opinion: I would resist the temptation to sand the color. If there is "flashing" between the trim and the base coat - knock it off either with 800 grit sandpaper or 000 steel wool otherwise leave alone.  The clear coats (assuming you are going to use dope) should take care of any raised edge issues. Apply 3-4 coats of dope. Let set for a week or more then sand w/600 and/or fine steel wool. Now another 3-4 coats of clear, sand with progressively finer grades of sandpaper or steel wool and polish. The object is to work the clear leaving the color pretty much untouched. Good Luck and be patient.  8)
« Last Edit: March 27, 2010, 01:45:14 PM by Pete Cunha »
Pete Cunha
Sacramento CA.
AMA 57499

Offline Randy Ryan

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2010, 01:22:23 PM »
Excellent Brian, we'd like pictures!!
Randy Ryan <><
AMA 8500
SAM 36 BO all my own M's

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2010, 08:01:13 AM »

I haven't shot the clear yet, that's coming later this week. I read somewhere here to touch the edges of the trim with 600 grit. What if I sanded the entire plane with 800 or 1000 prior to the clear. Would that help or hurt?

Brian

[/quote]

Take a credit card or your finger nail and run along the raised edges.  It doesn't take much pressure.  That is  my experience from advice from another modeler in the past. H^^ 
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Randy Ryan

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2010, 09:04:52 AM »

Brian

Take a credit card or your finger nail and run along the raised edges.  It doesn't take much pressure.  That is  my experience from advice from another modeler in the past. H^^ 

Too fine, no finer then 400. For the trim edges I use my airbrush and shoot a couple thinb coats on them, light sanding (400) before and beween and the edges will feather right out, this saves clear in the final coats.

Randy Ryan <><
AMA 8500
SAM 36 BO all my own M's

Offline Brian Massey

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • California Car Clubs
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2010, 08:38:40 PM »
After many "diversions", like tax preparation, I think I will be shooting the clear beginning in a few days . . . weather permitting. I'll post pics when I can.

And thanks for all the help/advice; it really helps me.

Brian

AMA 55421
Madera, CA

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2010, 11:37:56 AM »
Hi Brian,

Sorry for being so late to the party!  I agree with Doc on the credit card for removing the edges.  It doesn't take any real pressure, just scrape at about a 45* angle (both horizontal and vertical) to the edge.  I actually bought some nylon *razor blades* at Auto Zone and sharpened the edge a bit to use for this.  If yu have built up wings, it doesn't take a lot of pressure on the *blade*, if you have sheeted surfaces, it won't matter much. ;D

Big Bear
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here