News:

• April 27, 2024, 07:35:21 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Spray Max 2K flexability?  (Read 722 times)

Offline Allan Leonard

• A&P Mech
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Ensign
Spray Max 2K flexability?
« on: April 10, 2020, 12:59:45 PM »
Anyone have any experience using Spay Max 2K over installed cloth hinges ? I'm questioning the affect on hinge flexibility.

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
Re: Spray Max 2K flexability?
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2020, 01:40:34 PM »
Anyone have any experience using Spay Max 2K over installed cloth hinges ? I'm questioning the affect on hinge flexibility.

I don't have any experience with this specific product, but I would take a strip of 1/16" wide masking tape and put it over the hinges, to keep them from getting saturated. I am sure you could break it to be able to move the controls, but I am not sure that breaking it will not damage the hinges.

Most of the 2-part clears tend to be pretty brittle to rock hard when fully cured (a few weeks).

Brett

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2020, 03:05:02 PM »
   Unless you are really sloppy with fuel, why spray it  over the whole model? Many guys here have just sprayed the nose, wing center section at the leading edge and such with the two part clears over the clear dope, then just carefully sand and rub out with the rest of the model. The first airplane I saw that this was done on, was one of Charlie Reeves' Humbler models, and you could not tell where one left off and one started. This has to be lighter, and the nose sections easier to sand than the rest of the model when sanding the harder two part stuff. There have been threads on this before that you should be able to find.
  Type at you later,
  Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Just here for the fun of it also.
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2020, 07:25:54 AM »

Allan,

If you want a model that's cleared with a top notch product like the auto 2 part clears, I would suggest you stop using cloth hinges if you have reservations. Just to be sure. Have you ever used other hinges besides cloth or stitch hinges?

There are flexing agents which are added to paint and clears. Autos have plastic bumpers that take a beating but the paint and clear coat hardly ever cracks, go on line and look at bumper dent repair, with a bit of heat you can pull "some" bumpers back to the original look without damaging paint or the clear coat. Certainly apples and oranges, but the point is there's some flexing in the product. Possibly not enough for the paint on your cloth hinges to not crack.

I have a life long relationship with clear coats, including the 2 part auto clear. Why do you think I've been promoting this product since my first day in the CL Forums? I have nothing but  2 part auto clear on all my hanger queens. If I didn't have experience with the product I wouldn't reply.

So, if you're in love with cloth hinges or stitch hinges, I'd buy a can and give it a shot. See how it comes out? I haven't done cloth hinges since my first CL models back in the late 50's so I can't remember how tight the gap was but the cloth held up. Dope out of a jar back then. Aero Gloss. Applied by brush, including the colors.

The good old days. I miss the good old days and the modelers of that era. Times have certainly changed.

Let us know what you decide.

Charles

Trump Derangement Syndrome. TDS. 
Avaiojet Derangement Syndrome. ADS.
Amazing how ignorance can get in the way of the learning process.
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2020, 09:50:02 AM »

I have a life long relationship with clear coats, including the 2 part auto clear. Why do you think I've been promoting this product since my first day in the CL Forums?

Which is about 25-30 years after many other people were doing it. You showed up on SSW in about 2005, Windy was calling it "death paint" in 1981. First person I know for sure using catalyzed urethane clear was Jim Armour in the late 70's - in fact it was one of the first things I heard about paint when I started flying. Al Rabe was using 2-part epoxy clear in the early 70s, but then it was already well-established in the RC world, Hobbypoxy first appearing in the mid-late 60's, I think repackaged from marine epoxy paint. Hobbypoxy was actually reasonably flexible.

Brett

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here