News:

• May 04, 2024, 12:48:10 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Spray gun advice - dry, powdery finish  (Read 1669 times)

Offline Trevor Perry

• Trade Count: (0)
  • New Pilot
Spray gun advice - dry, powdery finish
« on: March 04, 2018, 04:03:23 AM »
Hi guys

I am after some help for a spray gun noob please. I am spraying a Pow Wow using a spray gun for the first time. My only training has been watching some YouTube videos that seem to be reasonably informative.

The problem is that the primer has gone on dry and powdery.

I am using a Blackridge Touch-up spray gun with a 0.5mm nozzle, http://www.supercheapauto.com.au/Product/Blackridge-Air-Spray-Gun-Touch-Up-100mL/340075

I am spraying Septone Primer Surfacer thinned 60:40 (thinner:primer) as per manufacturers instruction with acrylic lacquer thinners http://www.supercheapauto.com.au/Product/Septone-Primer-Surfacer-Grey-Acrylic-1-Litre/1408?menuFrom=1021683

I started off using 45 to 50 psi.  When it came out dry and powdery the first time, the information I found suggested that the air pressure was too high.

I sanded it back with 400 wet and dry and started again.

I bought a little digital regulator and attached it to the gun. I experimented with the air pressure, starting at 35 psi and trying 32 and 37 psi. All seemed about the same.

It still came out dry and powdery but this time, when I sprayed what I thought was too close to the job, I got some areas of good coverage.   

I am a complete spray gun newbie. Any advice would be gratefully received.

Many thanks

Trevor

Offline Trevor Perry

• New Pilot
Re: Spray gun advice - dry, powdery finish
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2018, 12:26:15 PM »
Thanks Ty. It’s summer here in Sydney and it has been fairly humid. I think yesterday when I was spraying was around 70% and a bit cooler than my first attempt; 23C as compared to 28C (73 v 83F).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2018, 09:26:10 AM »
Yea, I was thinking dial up the material and reduce the air.
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Mike Haverly

• Captain
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2018, 11:51:10 AM »
Sometimes it can be tricky.  That is a pretty small tip, especially for primer.  It will still work most likely, more thinner and less air pressure.  Harbor Freight sells a gun which appears to be identical to the one shown.  I have two and they have become my "go to" devises.  Rarely do I exceed 35 PSI and I don't pay too much attention to percentage of thinner to paint product ratio.    It eithers works or it doesn't.  At this point I would try more thinner and less air pressure, it won't hurt anything and will probably help.  Too much air (pressure) makes the paint flash (dry) before it hits the work surface.
Mike

Offline Trevor Perry

• New Pilot
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2018, 02:59:54 PM »
Thanks for the advice, Ty, Mike, and Randy. I'll try those tips this weekend.  :)

Advertise Here
Tags: spraying spray gun 

Advertise Here