News:

• April 27, 2024, 02:45:09 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: SLC OVER Polyspan?  (Read 178985 times)

Offline Larry Renger

• 21 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Re: SLC OVER Polyspan?
« Reply #250 on: March 18, 2024, 03:32:27 PM »
If you are using white tissue and clear film, you can cut decorations out of colored tissue and stick it to your tissue before film. I would use a very light spray of adhesive (3M makes a good spray adhesive for this) on the back. Just enough to keep it in place while film covering. The free flight guys used to do all their decorating with tissue cutouts.

Make a sandwich (from the bottom) of wax paper, colored tissue, another layer of wax paper and your artwork on top. Tape it down well to prevent slippage. Use a brand new blade to prevent tearing.

Toshi Matsuda was a master at this. Sadly, they didn’t have polyspan and mylar, so it needed multiple coats of dope to get a gloss finish. His models were a work of art and, flying, beat the socks off his  competitors. I have seen his Zero do a five minute max in early morning dead air. Of course engine runs were longer then.

I think he also got factory selected Holland Hornets. The good ones were as good as the best TeeDees.  There just wasn't the consistency Cox achieved.

Also Hollands seemed to have fragile crankshafts if you ran high nitro and small props. But of course, who would do that?

Sadly, mine landed in a cornfield and I never saw it again. Sal Taibi Starduster high thrust design and never had a better free flight. VTO launch, pure vertical climb, quick roll into glide. Probably couldn't make a new one do that.

🤠
« Last Edit: March 18, 2024, 06:12:00 PM by Larry Renger »
Think S.M.A.L.L. y'all and, it's all good, CL, FF and RC!

DesignMan
 BTW, Dracula Sucks!  A closed mouth gathers no feet!

Offline Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #251 on: March 18, 2024, 05:07:06 PM »
Ok I finally found some doculam at a decent price.  It comes in 1.5 and 3mm.  I got the 1.5.  I still can't find a source for Polyspan.

Ken
Already here.  Pretty fast.  My first experience with this stuff.  Sure is thin and strong.  I am going to try it on one of my canards tomorrow.  ModPodge - Silkspan - Mylar...what is the world coming to.  ???

Ken
« Last Edit: March 18, 2024, 05:50:11 PM by Ken Culbertson »
AMA 15382
If it is not broke you are not trying hard enough.
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #252 on: March 18, 2024, 05:43:41 PM »
Remember not to seal the open areas of the silk span.    D>K
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Larry Renger

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #253 on: March 18, 2024, 06:13:15 PM »
Keep us posted on your progress.  H^^
Think S.M.A.L.L. y'all and, it's all good, CL, FF and RC!

DesignMan
 BTW, Dracula Sucks!  A closed mouth gathers no feet!

Online Brent Williams

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Fancher Handles - Presented by Brent Williams
« Reply #254 on: March 19, 2024, 12:07:47 AM »
I am not sure if Phil is still selling his material.  I recently saw this source of very thin .6mil doculam material.  https://jhaerospace.com/product/0-6-mil-doculam-16um-6ft-roll/

Also a link to video on applying tissue on top of doculam, which is backwards from Larry's methods.  Cool to see additional methods in use.  This channel has some interesting stuff to watch.
Laser-cut, "Ted Fancher Precision-Pro" Hard Point Handle Kits are available again.  PM for info.
https://stunthanger.com/smf/brent-williams'-fancher-handles-and-cl-parts/ted-fancher's-precision-pro-handle-kit-by-brent-williams-information/

Offline Tom Luciano

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #255 on: March 19, 2024, 07:50:33 AM »
Phil Cartier's wife is sitting on a large amount of SLC that she would like to unload. He had just purchased a huge amount prior to falling ill. If at all possible it would be great if an individual/contingent could take this off her hands as she could use the money for his care.

Tom
AMA 13001

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #256 on: March 19, 2024, 01:49:36 PM »
The one thing I would do that he doesn't address on the video is that I like to put several pin holes in each rib and at the wing tip edge.  If you don't when the sun hits it it will balloon up on you.  If you look at some of my planes in which I put the tissue or silk span down first is that once the doculam is applied it looks like a dope finish,. D>K
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203

Offline bill bischoff

• Admiral
« Reply #257 on: March 20, 2024, 02:45:16 PM »
Here's The picture I didn't post two years ago (reply 186). Polyspan, applied with Mod Podge, heat shrunk, then covered with SLC. Ultimately, it was painted over with white KlassKote epoxy. Works great. No bubbles or sags, no loose seams. Plane is a Mockingbird slow rat racer by PDK.

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #258 on: March 20, 2024, 07:08:48 PM »
Phil Cartier's wife is sitting on a large amount of SLC that she would like to unload. He had just purchased a huge amount prior to falling ill. If at all possible it would be great if an individual/contingent could take this off her hands as she could use the money for his care.

Tom

If anything happens toward that end, I would order at least a 100 ft roll. I assume that he can't take orders for it himself at this time? I would hate to bother him or his wife if he's that sick.
   Type at you later,
   Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline Motorman

• Admiral
« Reply #259 on: March 20, 2024, 07:26:47 PM »
They has it in stock.  Looks a bit light but that's OK. Price was reasonable. Now we just wait for the film and Polyspan to get here.

Ken

I use something called polyspan lite and just cover the open bays. You have to take care not to heat shrink it to much or holes will open up. Then cover with coverite microlite which already has color. It ends up lighter and less work since you don't have to paint it.

Do they make SLC in colors?

MM 8)

Offline Russell Graves

• New Pilot
« Reply #260 on: March 24, 2024, 11:43:04 AM »
I just discovered this thread. I have a few questions.
Are you guys buying the gloss ModPodge or the matte ModPodge?
Do you thin it down before applying it on the plane?
Does ModPodge have a strong odor like paint?
Has anyone tried using thinned-down white glue (instead of the ModPodge), letting it dry, and then using a heat iron to "activate" the white glue to stick the silkspan or polyspan to the plane? I have not tried this but I saw a picture of a wing done like this and it turned out great.

Just asking questions and buying supplies at this point. Thanks.

Offline bill bischoff

• Admiral
« Reply #261 on: March 24, 2024, 12:24:08 PM »
I used the gloss ModPodge, straight from the bottle. I found that one coat didn't adhere as well as I wanted it to, So I used two coats. Very low odor. Excellent results.

Offline Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #262 on: March 24, 2024, 12:56:59 PM »
I used the gloss ModPodge, straight from the bottle. I found that one coat didn't adhere as well as I wanted it to, So I used two coats. Very low odor. Excellent results.
I have been using two coats for the same reason.  I may have not let it dry long enough before sanding.  When I MonoKoted it bubbled up (the ModPodge) in spots when used the heatgun.  Too much heat.  Looked like toad skin. I was able to slowly iron out the bubbles with lower heat but you can't match the smoothness of the heat gun with an iron, at least I can't!

Ken

AMA 15382
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #263 on: March 24, 2024, 07:38:45 PM »
I have used Mod-Podge gloss and matte with same results.  You guy must be spreading it to thin.  It really just to hold the poly-span, silk span or tissue until the Mylar is put over the base covering.  Nother material that is mucho cheaper is Light weight jacket lining material from the local fabric store. D>K
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203

Offline Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #264 on: April 05, 2024, 09:24:52 AM »
Has anyone following this thread used Doculam over Polyspan on a full-sized PA.  I am planning just that, and I want to know any downside that I may face.  I was impressed with the tests on three removable parts of the plane, especially with its ability to take Rustoleum spray and sanding.  What most concerns me is the Texas Sun.  Will having a layer of Doculam in the middle of the finish cause problems.  Putting it under the Polyspan is pointless for saving weight.  The film is like 4 coats of dope for the weight of one.  Has anybody tried it with a sandable primer?

Ken
AMA 15382
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Offline Ara Dedekian

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
  • Ara Dedekian
« Reply #265 on: April 05, 2024, 12:12:19 PM »
  What most concerns me is the Texas Sun. 

Ken

Ken,

Here's my experience with Doculam, it may have some relevance to your question. Below is my Clown Racer from early 2000. After the races died out in our area it was put away in my attic in the Boston area for years and went through freezing cold and sweltering heat. It then came to Maine for even more extremes in temperature and eventually all the paint came off the covering.

The film was scuffed with OOO steelwool and sprayed with waterbased System Three marine urethane primer and their color coat. The products were sold through the Nelson Co. advertising in Model Aviation. The fuselage was primed and sanded with the same primer. The paint and primer did survive the silkspan and talc/dope base prep and looks like the picture to this day.

Ara

Offline Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #266 on: April 05, 2024, 12:52:30 PM »
Thanks Ara, I have had some silkspan/dope finishes separate in those conditions.  It looks like the Doculam over the silkspan held though and that is my major concern.

ken
AMA 15382
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here