News:

• March 19, 2024, 12:51:30 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: SLC OVER Polyspan?  (Read 141814 times)

Offline jfv

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
Re: SLC OVER Polyspan?
« Reply #100 on: November 18, 2016, 07:12:09 PM »
Although you can paint directly over the SLC, I didn't want a ridge where the SLC ended so I covered the portion I was going to paint with carbon veil adhered with Eze-Kote.
Jim Vigani

Offline Larry Renger

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #101 on: November 19, 2016, 08:37:10 PM »
Ummmm, did you then sand a taper down to the SLC surface? I am not clear on the exact process. It looks like you have a winner, though. Please detail it out step by step for those of us of feeble brain (see Winnie thr Poo for reference). I want my next one to look that good!  #^
Think S.M.A.L.L. y'all and, it's all good, CL, FF and RC!

DesignMan
 BTW, Dracula Sucks!  A closed mouth gathers no feet!

Offline jfv

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #102 on: November 21, 2016, 10:48:44 AM »
Applied the CF veil, then several coats of Eze-kote, sanding between coats until smooth.  Primed with DC-540 primer with the rest of the parts to be painted, then color coats.  The ridge between the painted surface and the clear SLC film is at the red pinstripe line and not very noticeable.
Jim Vigani

Offline Larry Renger

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #103 on: December 30, 2016, 01:13:34 PM »
What is EZ-Kote? I never heard of it.  ???

DesignMan

Online Brent Williams

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Fancher Handles - Presented by Brent Williams
« Reply #104 on: December 30, 2016, 05:17:29 PM »
What is EZ-Kote? I never heard of it.  ???

https://www.deluxematerials.co.uk/gb/rc-modelling/82-eze-kote-5060243900746.html

It's a pretty cool water based finishing resin.  It is not like Minwax Polycrylic.  The viscosity is thicker and it dries quite rapidly.  Sands well too.  It smells totally different from polycrylic, also.

There are some good videos of it in use on youtube. 
Laser-cut, "Ted Fancher Precision-Pro" Hard Point Handle Kits are available again.  PM for info.
https://stunthanger.com/smf/brent-williams'-fancher-handles-and-cl-parts/ted-fancher's-precision-pro-handle-kit-by-brent-williams-information/

Online Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #105 on: January 09, 2017, 03:15:40 PM »
I see that Horizon Hobby is a distributor, which implies that virtually any LHS should be able to get this stuff, or we can order direct from HH. So, I assume that Brent has used this stuff already? Has Gordy D. or Norm W. tried it? I noticed that they said "fuel resistant" and that does concern me a bit. I'd prefer "impervious", ya know!  ~> Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Larry Renger

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #106 on: March 27, 2017, 08:22:51 PM »
My Ringmaster is now over a year old and still sag free!  :)! No hangar rash or noticeable damage from two (count them, two) inverted landings on asphalt. (Note that I am Designman, not Pilotman)  LL~

DesignMan

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #107 on: March 28, 2017, 11:10:12 AM »
Well Larry, I haven't had a chance to try out my planes with the dopeless finish. 
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Larry Renger

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #108 on: March 28, 2017, 09:48:22 PM »
And you continue to live in a climate like that??? Well, The Peoples' Republic of Califonikstan is crowded enough, but there is lots of room left near Tucson. Trostle left a magnificent house there.  <=

DesignMan

Jim Roselle

« Reply #109 on: May 13, 2017, 08:42:49 AM »
Larry,

I'm getting ready to try monokote over polyspan. Do you dope the poly to individual ribs or just leading/trailing edge, tips, and center section?

Jim

Offline Fredvon4

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Central Texas
« Reply #110 on: May 13, 2017, 09:55:35 AM »
Jim... just a butt inski here...but WHY?

Maybe I am not paying close enough attention

BUT--- I thought the exercise was to do a Fast and very Strong covering method--- USING poly/tissue/silk and then--- one of the super lite plastic coverings Like SLC, or thin FasCal/ mica film

IMO MonoKote---  or similar--- has already all the strength and color needed by it self

That said...I think the initial covering (tissue/poly span/silkspan/silk) is put on traditionally nice and tight on the perimeter and only ever needs stuck down to the ribs on a polywog rid set like a Ringmaster....all other rib types should be left free so the SLC/////ect,...can shrink and stick to the first covering without adding torque to the ribs or balsa wing

I use a lot of Poly span and silk on wings.

I think Larry Renger found a way for US to NOT have to add weight with Dope and Use the Lite coverings  (SLC/Doculam/FadCal) as the shiny top cote and the added benefit ...by accident...was that the composite of the two coverings saved time, looked good...and structurally was tougher than traditional method using dope to fill the paper/tissue/cloth

Bottom line is...IMO MonoKote covering does all this by itself.... But that said--- no MonoKote can look or be as strong as a traditional silk n dope method or Larry Rengers discovery method

EDITED in after sending...Jim I DO NOT intend this to sound as harsh or judgement as it does....

Just curious how you arrived at following this method to think about using MonoKote over something else.... mostly because early on, I GOT the notion Larry was trying to show four things...Light weight, faster, looks good, stronger (an accidental by product IMO)

And BTW
NOT TO take away from Larry-- But I think Bobby Mears, INDEPENDENTLY--- found a very similar method so he could rapidly finish dozens of Nostalgia combat planes for the Combat Museum...IIRK He experimentee with fogging the back side of SLC/FasCal/Doculam with paints to simulate the Silk n Dope finish and found it was just as easy to do a polyspan heat shrunk and then the plastic and looked just like a silk n dope finish
"A good scare teaches more than good advice"

Fred von Gortler IV

Jim Roselle

« Reply #111 on: May 13, 2017, 12:59:56 PM »
Fred,

I want to try this for three reasons.

1. Primarily I'm hoping that by creating a composite covering that bonds together as it shrinks I can avoid the dreaded monokote sag that happens in the Arizona sun.

2. It seems like a great way to add strength with minimal weight gain and minimal additional time.

3. I'm always up for experimenting with new techniques.

Jim

Offline Fredvon4

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Central Texas
« Reply #112 on: May 13, 2017, 01:55:06 PM »
Fully understand Jim....you are trading strength and durability for tightness and accepting the weight gain...

I might recommend Move on to Ultra kote as I think it holds it's tension better long term...I am in Texas with 130~150F on a 104F OAT day in the car is typical and the loosening of my films....all of them...is always an issue

OTOH I have read here that some think UltrKote is looser over time....not my personal experience but I only have 5 years experience/history to go by

Fred von Gortler IV

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #113 on: May 14, 2017, 08:50:38 PM »
Jim, if you want color go browse the posts I have made using poly-ester cloth(from Jo-Anns Frabrics) and the clear mylar(SLC). 
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203

Offline Larry Renger

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #114 on: May 17, 2017, 12:30:30 PM »
Doping the ribs to smooth them out is good. Bonding the Polyspan to the ribs (when first covering) is bad because you want the material to slide around as it shrinks. Once shrunk, if you seal to the ribs using thinner would probably be OK and might improve torsional strength.  Do NOT dope the entire fabric covering as it adds weight and creates bubble areas in the top covering.

Old free-flighters may remember double covering large models. Silkspan lightly doped with an overlay of Japanese tissue bonded down to it. Easy to get a slick finish and remarkably strong.

For large models, Monokote over Polyspan would still be lighter than a conventional dope finish, easier, quicker, slicker (than I can do, anyway) and way stronger.

DesignMan

Offline Larry Renger

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #115 on: July 03, 2017, 03:07:48 AM »
I finally completed the re-build of my Sky Sport 1/2A (well, .061) stunter. The wing is the original, everything else is new.

Covering is lightweight Polyspan with park flyer type film applied over it. The Polyspan was attached with Mod Podge adhesive and the film has its own heat activated adhesive, so no dope was harmed in covering the wings.

Fuselage and tail are Klasskote epoxy.

DesignMan

Offline jfv

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #116 on: July 03, 2017, 07:59:21 AM »
Very nice.  I like the transparent color.
Jim Vigani

Offline PaulGibeault

• Commander
« Reply #117 on: August 08, 2017, 12:05:08 AM »
Following along Larry Renger's simple instructions I covered 2 old Vintage kits. I haven't covered an open bay model for over 25 years. Piece of cake!

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #118 on: August 08, 2017, 10:33:21 AM »
I am finishing up two more models per Larry's method.  Have also flown the ones I have finished.   Makes for quick finishes that shine.   Also easy to wipe clean.
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203

Offline Larry Renger

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #119 on: August 16, 2017, 09:04:46 PM »
Paul G. built those models for his wife to learn on. So far the covering has proven more durable than other parts of the models.  LL~

DesignMan

Offline Larry Renger

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #120 on: November 02, 2017, 11:53:46 AM »
Hoooee! 32,000 + views!  ;D

There aren't that many CL fliers, are there?  ???

DesignMan

Offline Fredvon4

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Central Texas
« Reply #121 on: November 02, 2017, 12:33:12 PM »
Crap Larry.. I bet I am about 500 of those 32000 views....grin

I found i interesting in another thread on MonoKote that the very early instructions suggested/recommended the $Kote film OVER silk-span

Fred von Gortler IV

Offline MikeyPratt

• Captain
« Reply #122 on: November 02, 2017, 08:56:39 PM »
It works fantastic!  The weight, by an actual test sample, is 1.46 oz/sq.yard.  The structural rigidity it adds is amazing.  I have some technique to work on as far as flawless tips, but the ones I did aren't horrible.

Now I need to work on how to properly paint it.  I have a sample piece drying. It is Painters' Choice right on the steel wool buffed SLC.

Larry,
Works like a champ doesn't it?  Next time add some trim to the plyspan before covering it with SLC.  Use a spray adhesive and very lightly spray the back of the trim.  Stay away from the trim 3 feet and spray above it and allow the adhesive to lightly fall onto the trim.  Place the trim on the plyspan and lightly rub the trim in place (do not apply dope to the trim).  The SLC will hold the trim in place when ironed on.

Later,
Mikey

Offline Larry Renger

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #123 on: November 02, 2017, 10:14:38 PM »
Great idea on the trim! Thanks Mike. Probably could do trim Moneykote, vinyl, or just about anything. Magic markers, anyone?

DesignMan

Offline Ara Dedekian

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
  • Ara Dedekian
« Reply #124 on: February 25, 2018, 10:41:35 PM »

Rebuilt an old silkspan covered Scorpion fast combat and covered it with SLC over Dacron. I used John Holiday's Mod Podge system to iron down the Dacron then used it to recoat the leading, trailing and tip edges for a belt and suspenders approach to ironing the SLC on. The yellow paint is an anxient can of Formula-U over sprayed with green RC car paint. The urethane stuck to the SLC quite well but don't have much hope for the  'candy' accent.

Ara

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #125 on: February 26, 2018, 11:06:35 AM »
Just don't let the raw fuel sit on the graphics too long.   Plane looks great. H^^
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203

Offline Larry Renger

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #126 on: August 11, 2018, 04:59:53 PM »
Several years and a couple of trips to Tucson later, the Ringmaster still looks pretty good. Anyone else have information on how well this technique stands up to the ravages of time?

DesignMan

Offline Fredvon4

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Central Texas
« Reply #127 on: August 12, 2018, 11:53:59 AM »
Larry I basically no longe fly so my Fleet are all now you basic hanger queens hoping my progeny will some day fly again

I have several RST foam wing with SLC....flown and castor slime many times...cleaned and in flyable condition

I have two balsa wings, Ring master, and a Magician Poly-span adhered with dope then heat shrink, then SLC from Phil...NO fill in dope...strong, no sag, look pretty good for my 5 meter stand off grading......grin...

I bet when I crap out ...my son, just for pure nostalgia will de gum the engine..and fly the sucker into a perfect Figure Nine....Just as I did reliving the adventures of my father and me for 1958

Fred von Gortler IV

Offline MikeyPratt

• Captain
« Reply #128 on: September 13, 2018, 11:25:42 AM »
Hi Guy's,
I had a real problem covering my new P-Force XL.  I applied the red plyspan tissue to the model, then covered the model with the SLC and it looked AWESOME.  I manage to stick the end of the inboard wing into a running overhead ceiling fan and destroyed the wing tip, leading edge sheeting, and three of the wing ribs.  When I was inspecting the damage I noticed the tissue under the SCL wasn't attached to the cap strips.  It may have been good enough but I wasn't happy with it at all. 

After stripping the wing and repairing the damage area, I opted for UltraCoat covering to finish up the model.  On my next model I'll apply a few coats of Stix-it to the capstrips and cover it using plyspan tissue and after applying the SLC, I'll rub the SLC to each of the wing cap strips with an iron.  This should attach the plyspan and the SCL to each of the wing ribs and greatly increase the strength of the wing covering.

Later,
Mikey

Offline jfv

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #129 on: September 13, 2018, 11:43:28 AM »
I use Baslarite on the rib edges when I cover with the Polyspan just for the reason you mentioned.  No issues doing it that way.
Jim Vigani

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #130 on: September 13, 2018, 08:38:12 PM »
I don't recommend doping the poly-span/silk span to the ribs.   I do shrink it before putting the clear mylar/SLC on.   so far the covering has stayed tight and several places it looked like some thing tried to poke holes in it.  A pass with the iron and all is good.  Latest plane still looks good and is the one I'm building a stooge for.
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203

Offline Larry Renger

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #131 on: September 25, 2018, 04:22:26 PM »
I have recently been experimenting with turbulators (or vortex generators). I find that I must sand the film with 600 grit then clean it with lacquer thinner or acetone before bonding the generators in place. Otherwise, they eventually pop off.  HB~>

Sand carefully, that film is THIN!  n1

DesignMan

Offline jfv

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #132 on: September 26, 2018, 07:39:49 AM »
Here's my latest build using SLC over Polyspan.  I really like using this method for these type planes.  Saves tons of time and looks great.  The "Able" is one of my original designs from 1960 when I was in high school.  Flew it at the Vintage Combat Festival last Sunday.
Jim Vigani

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #133 on: September 26, 2018, 10:26:13 AM »
Looks great.  Do you have plans.  Also you should do an article and publish it. H^^
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203

Offline jfv

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #134 on: September 26, 2018, 10:53:57 AM »
Thanks, Doc.  It flies great.  Yes, I have the plans.  Here's a copy.
Jim Vigani

Offline Frank Imbriaco

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
  • At the 69 Willow Grove NATS with J.D. FALCON II
« Reply #135 on: September 26, 2018, 05:32:06 PM »
Jim's ship is really very, very nice.
I especially like the tail feathers.
Saw it fly at the Vintage Combat Festival and it was very impressive.

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #136 on: September 27, 2018, 09:38:25 AM »
Thanks, now to head for Staples. H^^
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203

Offline Larry Renger

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #137 on: October 18, 2018, 09:26:51 PM »
My Ringmaster is 5 years old. It has a couple of slit punctures and tip abrasions. I am thinking of a complete recovering job. Same routine as originally done. Lightweight Polyspan with parkflyer film overlay. Maybe Japanese tissue? Or “Doctor Paper”. Any thoughts out there on the choices?

The rest of the plane is Klass Kote epoxy, and no fuel soaking noticeable. Of course it may be a soggy mess under the Epoxy and no way to know it until the engine departs for the hinterlands.

Current power is an ABC L&J Fox 35. Just perfect power for the 29 ounce model. 10x5 Brodak Prop. 3 ounces for the OT pattern with laps to spare. .012 x 50’ lines and my EXPO, low overhang, hardpoint handle. Took 2nd behind John Wright (Gee, what a shock!) at the Hy Johnson meet last week. 2nd flight run was beautiful 2-4 break with no Fox burp.

Don’t need no stinkin’ modern engines! (Actually, my FP 20 seems to be a better choice, but one must be loyal to the Duke!)

Plenty of kits for the handle left (blatant commercial inserted).  ;D

DesignMan

Offline Larry Renger

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #138 on: November 15, 2018, 09:36:13 PM »
Dang, after 5 years of mistreatment there are some scrapes and holes in the Ringmaster’s covering. I may strip it and redo, or put clear tape over the breaks.

The fuselage has been broken behind the wing courtesy of three different people stepping on then kicking my lines at VSC this year. (Hmmm, enemy action? Can’t believe I am good enough to warrant it.) Plus a couple of inverted landings. It ain’t a virgin no more.

My ABC Fox 35 gives a great 2/4 performance. 2 3/4 ounces of fuel for the OT pattern. 10x5 Brodak prop, 10/22 fuel. Currently flying 50x.012 lines, but may try longer lines with a higher pitch prop. Then pick up the nitro as needed to keep up the lap time.

Still weighs under 30 ounces even with an ounce of tail weight. Epoxy basecoat on the fuselage nose and Klasskote finish, so no oil soaking. Carbon fiber veil on the fuselage and horizontal tail. Pinned hinges aligned with a single wire. At rest the elevator just flops right down. No apparent friction in the system.

Sadly, my Ceramic Fox crankshaft broke the crankpin off, so it needs a rebuild. Ty Marcucci sent me a complete engine, but it is so cherry that I can’t bear to strip it for the crank! A good machine needs the respect it deserves!

Thanks to Andy Borgogna, I have an even lighter Ringmaster with an OS20 fp to fly. So I can strip mine and rework it at my leisure.

Sadly, Andy has Rotaror Cuff problems that will keep him from CL flying in the future. A sad state of affairs, but he will still be with us flying (gasp) RC. And he will still be a resource as the West Coast electric power guru. I still think he could fly 1/2A models without pain, but no luck so far.

The SkySport covering is still in great shape. This technique seems to be really durable.

Anyone done a painted finish on SLC over Polyspan and how did it come out and last?

DesignMan

Offline Larry Renger

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #139 on: December 01, 2018, 08:56:29 PM »
Wow, pushing 38K hits! Who’d a thunk it! Now, how many are using this system other than Doc Holliday and me?

Multiple models show that the system works great. Don’t just read about it, use it and tell of your experience and especially any improved techniques.

So far, Mpd Podge for initial fiber covering adhesion, followed by SLC or Park Flyer film is great for most models. I haven’t tried it, but for a larger model, Silk and Monokote ought to be pretty bulletproof,

The key to this system is that the film bonds to the fiber making a strong composite structure that is stronger and lighter than a conventional dope filed  finish. If you plan to paint, it eliminates all the filler coats. One light roughing with steel wool and ready for primer or silver under base.

DesignMan

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #140 on: December 02, 2018, 07:31:13 PM »
For get the steel wool, use a scouring foam pad.  At least that is what I'm using now. D>K

Just wanted to show my latest finish on sport planes.   Did use epoxy around the engine compartment.   No dope,  doctor paper under the laminate clear.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2018, 07:54:57 PM by john e. holliday »
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203

Offline Larry Renger

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #141 on: December 04, 2018, 06:32:28 PM »
i have some Doctor paper, but haven’t used it except for dry balsa covering, never open bay. It does have wet strength, but does it wet shrink? How good it is a replacement for old silkspan?

Your wing tips look perfect, does it conform wet or do you use separate tip strips? Tell all!

DesignMan

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #142 on: December 04, 2018, 08:49:15 PM »
Larry, I tried to apply doctor paper slightly damp the first time I had it.  What a mess.  Using the Mod Podge I put it on dry and it does shrink some after applied. D>K
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203

Offline Larry Renger

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #143 on: December 08, 2018, 05:58:59 PM »
I have a Ringmaster and a SkySport both covered in film over Polyspan. Both years old and still in great shap despite abuse!  #^

DesignMan

Offline Target

• C/L Addict
  • 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #144 on: January 05, 2019, 12:18:05 PM »
Hi, Larry-
Thinking ahead towards finishing a Magician for a buddy I am building, I am wondering about getting trim colors onto the finished product without painting. Essentially, I want it between the polyspan and the SLC layer.
I am thinking two ideas-

1. Polyspan covering, then colored tissue in my trim color areas, then SLC.

2. Polyspan covering, then transparent or opaque film covering in my trim covering areas, the SLC over.

Any commentary for either of these ideas? Have you done this before? I would love to use the tissue, but I am concerned about the dope or other material needed for attachment causing bubbles under the SLC when heated.

Thanks,
Target
Regards,
Chris
AMA 5956

Offline Larry Renger

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #145 on: January 05, 2019, 02:31:27 PM »
How about a light spray of spray adhesive on the back of the tissue? No dope, just enough to keep it in place while doing the SLC.

DesignMan

Offline Target

• C/L Addict
  • 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #146 on: January 05, 2019, 03:30:36 PM »
Ok, i hadn't thought of that, thanks. Would the Modge Podge work as well?
Regards,
Chris
AMA 5956

Offline Larry Renger

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #147 on: January 05, 2019, 05:09:04 PM »
Being water based, I think it would distort the tissue decorations.

DesignMan

Offline Target

• C/L Addict
  • 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #148 on: January 05, 2019, 08:14:35 PM »
Ah ha....
OK thank you Larry!!
Regards,
Chris
AMA 5956

Offline Larry Renger

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #149 on: March 05, 2019, 07:49:16 AM »
[quote

Hi, Larry-
Thinking ahead towards finishing a Magician for a buddy I am building, I am wondering about getting trim colors onto the finished product without painting. Essentially, I want it between the polyspan and the SLC layer.

Thanks,
Target
[/quote]

You are building a buddy?  LL~

DesignMan

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here