News:

• March 19, 2024, 01:44:22 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Can I reduce the shrinkage of taughtening dope ?  (Read 179 times)

Offline kenneth cook

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Can I reduce the shrinkage of taughtening dope ?
« on: March 16, 2024, 07:49:53 AM »
    Recently I did a few silk planes. I purchased taughtening which I used to assist the shrinkage of the silk. It actually turned out very good and I'm more than pleased with the results. I followed up with lower shrink butyrate. Now a year later, I see some slight horse starving in the leading edge sheeting. I actually expected that due to the lightweight sheeting I used. It's hardly noticeable and this doesn't bother me or the plane. Could I reduce the shrinkage of the balance of  product I still have  by adding more thinner or Dave Brown Flex All?

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Can I reduce the shrinkage of taughtening dope ?
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2024, 10:14:58 AM »
    Recently I did a few silk planes. I purchased taughtening which I used to assist the shrinkage of the silk. It actually turned out very good and I'm more than pleased with the results. I followed up with lower shrink butyrate. Now a year later, I see some slight horse starving in the leading edge sheeting. I actually expected that due to the lightweight sheeting I used. It's hardly noticeable and this doesn't bother me or the plane. Could I reduce the shrinkage of the balance of  product I still have  by adding more thinner or Dave Brown Flex All?

It certainly is worth the effort to treat the remaining dope. In the old days they talked about adding castor oil to mixed dope, like so many drops or a teaspoon to a quart or something like that. this was to plasticize the dope and reduce shrinkage. i would use medicinal grade castor for this, or food grade from the grocery store. I really think that is all Flex-All is, castor oil. I didn't do any scientific like testing on it, just going by how it looks in the bottle, to how much they say to use, to doing a 'taste test" putting a drop or two on my tongue. You could just use Flex-All also. Mix up a small batch of dope and add a few drops to it and apply it to a test section and see how it works. I always keep some Flex-All around and use it in my final coats. If using SIG color dope, all their color dopes were based on their low shrink Lite Coat butyrate dope. They stated that in their catalogs.
  Type at you later,
   Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline Ty Marcucci

• 23 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2024, 08:34:49 AM »
You might try rejuvenator as well.. It relaxes thew dope a tad.
Ty Marcucci

Offline 944_Jim

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2024, 09:03:49 PM »
Mr. Dan,

I've heard of "huffing" paints and glues, and the dangers of eating lead-paint chips...but this is the first time I've read of someone drinking paint additives!
 LL~

Mr.Ty,
Given Mr.Dan's surviving ingesting paint additives, is there any chance rejuvenator may relax me? I'd like to know how much to remove about ten-fifteen years of stress (and age).

Offline kenneth cook

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: Yesterday at 02:53:47 PM »
                 Dave Brown Flex-All wasn't available a short time ago. It's now available again in a different container. It's very generic from what the old bottle was. New bottle is cylindrical vs the semi oval shape and the labeling is a printed label from a copy machine. My older bottle the material itself has a bit of yellow to it vs the new which is water clear and similar viscosity. I haven't tried the new yet.  I found a older post where Bill Byles does exactly what I'm asking which is to add Dave Brown Flex All to the taughtening dope.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here