Building Tips and technical articles. > Paint and finishing

SLC OVER Polyspan?

<< < (39/54) > >>

944_Jim:

--- Quote from: Larry Renger on August 07, 2021, 08:42:55 PM ---On the other hand, the hits to this thread just keep on coming. Are there really 48,000 of you out there?

--- End quote ---

Nope, I just keep coming back to it a bunch! Tomorrow will be 48,001.

Mr. Doc,
Why leave the open bays unsealed? I would think the SLC adhesive would stick easier to a sealed/sanded smooth surface vs a porous one. Or does the adhesive melt into the paper? Weight minimizing?
Thanks much.

Dennis Toth:
MM/Larry,
Do you shrink the polyspan tight before applying the film then shrink the film? How do you get the film to adhere to the polyspan over the open bay section without bubbles? Iron, heat gun with soft glove??

For me the only reason to use the color film over the polyspan is to improve rigidity of the structure and get color without needing to paint. From what was posted early in this thread it should work. I will be trying it on flat sheet. In the past I have done 1/2oz fiberglass adhered with Balsarite for film then MonoKote over. This worked very well but I think the polyspan with the heat shrink ability will get a very smooth substrate for the Kote to adhere to. Using the light films should keep the weight down and still give a nice finish for the model.

Best,    DennisT

bill bischoff:
Yes, shrink the polyspan first. Since the polyspan hasn't been sealed with anything, it is porous. Air can't be trapped. The film can be ironed down over the open bays with light pressure. The biggest advantages for painted SLC instead of 'kote is the ability to have any color or colors you desire, and also the paint permanently seals the seams for maximum longevity of the model. If neither of these is important to your particular project, then 'kote away!

Larry Renger:
Very important to leave the polyspan unsealed so you don’t trap air under the film.

I used lightweight Polyspan and park flyer lightweigh film on a Ringmaster. 5 years old and still looks great.  #^

john e. holliday:
Phil Cartier of CoreHouse used to be the source.  I don't know what he is selling now>  You might check with him. H^^

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version