« on: April 01, 2024, 10:13:54 AM »
« Last Edit: April 02, 2024, 03:13:57 PM by kevin king »

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Re: SLC
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2024, 03:22:47 PM »
   I don't think I have ever seen the old FAs-Cal in person!! Or knew where to get that. I don't know what SLC is but I guess it's similar?? Is your source north of the boarder on this side?? I was going through my covering stash the other day and found some polls of clear material that has no label and I know it's not clear Monokote. I think I have a small roll of Doculam that I bought off eBay but I didn't mark it.
   Does the stuff you bought have a sticky side? or attach it with some so rt of adhesive?? I just may have to acquire a roll. Will probably be more than I'll ever use.
  Type at you later,
  Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline kevin king

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2024, 03:50:29 PM »
« Last Edit: April 02, 2024, 03:14:24 PM by kevin king »

Offline kevin king

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2024, 04:18:10 PM »
« Last Edit: April 02, 2024, 03:14:54 PM by kevin king »

Offline Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2024, 05:12:45 PM »
Got this on EBay.   Found it recommended on of the RC sites.  I have tried it over polyspan applied with Mod Podge and it covers really nicely.  Test painted a canard with Rustoleum and it did great.  Very easy to mold and very light.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/362350663234

Ken
« Last Edit: April 01, 2024, 11:58:24 PM by Ken Culbertson »
AMA 15382
If it is not broke you are not trying hard enough.
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Offline Brent Williams

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Fancher Handles - Presented by Brent Williams
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2024, 10:54:06 PM »
SLC is/was biaxially oriented polyester film with a low temp adhesive.  The origins of it are from the lidding industry for food, I believe.  Unless you own a yogurt or margarine or frozen food packaging factory, small quantities really aren't readily available other than from Phil. 

Laser-cut, "Ted Fancher Precision-Pro" Hard Point Handle Kits are available again.  PM for info.
https://stunthanger.com/smf/brent-williams'-fancher-handles-and-cl-parts/ted-fancher's-precision-pro-handle-kit-by-brent-williams-information/

Offline kevin king

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2024, 08:26:39 AM »
« Last Edit: April 02, 2024, 03:16:43 PM by kevin king »

Offline kevin king

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2024, 08:40:17 AM »
« Last Edit: April 02, 2024, 03:17:13 PM by kevin king »

Offline kevin king

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2024, 08:43:37 AM »
Got this on EBay.   Found it recommended on of the RC sites.  I have tried it over polyspan applied with Mod Podge and it covers really nicely.  Test painted a canard with Rustoleum and it did great.  Very easy to mold and very light.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/362350663234

Ken

99 cents a foot? Shame on him. Buy it on Amazon for 8.9 cents a foot in the link above Ken.

Offline Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Laminating film aka SLC
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2024, 08:58:47 AM »
99 cents a foot? Shame on him. Buy it on Amazon for 8.9 cents a foot in the link above Ken.
I saw those.  That was the only one I could find that sold it in the length I needed.  I have yet to thoroughly test it so why invest in 200' when 190' of that will sit on a shelf if I decide the experiment was a flop?

Ken
AMA 15382
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Offline kevin king

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2024, 09:10:25 AM »
« Last Edit: April 02, 2024, 03:18:57 PM by kevin king »

Offline Brent Williams

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2024, 09:18:28 AM »
Here you go. Now everyone can have a roll. Its called LAMINATING FILM, Not 'SLC'

Using lamination film is no secret.  50 years of folks using the endless varieties of cheap clear films, especially in combat. 
SLC was the name Phil gave the variety he sold.  Super Light Covering.  And it was lightweight.  The original variety he sold for 15-20 years was .75mil. It was a different product than lamination film for the printing industry.  The adhesive is different and the feel of the film is different.  I literally have miles of various types and brands of low temp 1.2mil-1.7mil film from the printing/photo lamination industry.  I'm not arguing with you, just illustrating that SLC was a unique product, sourced from a different channel. 
All of the various low temp films seem to work pretty well for how we use them. 
Laser-cut, "Ted Fancher Precision-Pro" Hard Point Handle Kits are available again.  PM for info.
https://stunthanger.com/smf/brent-williams'-fancher-handles-and-cl-parts/ted-fancher's-precision-pro-handle-kit-by-brent-williams-information/

Offline Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2024, 09:25:34 AM »
I saw those.  That was the only one I could find that sold Duculam in the length I needed.  I have yet to thoroughly test it so why invest in 200' when 190' of that will sit on a shelf if I decide the experiment was a flop?  Doculam is different from school laminating film.  It takes less heat and will not melt foam for one thing.  It is also easier to shape, sand and paint.  That it is sepcific to the model airplane community explains it's higher cost.  Both are adhesive backed polyester but the laminating film is designed to be applied flat with a heat press.  Maybe it has the same results, I haven't tried the cheap stuff yet.

Ken

Kevin: If it is the exact same why is one safe for foam and the other not?  I probably could use either successfully since it is not over foam.  I plan to cover some of my foam molds with Doculam just to see if it works.  I assume you have done the same so if it does work on foam, let me know.  I read alot on the RC sites about this issue since they are now mostly "foamy ARFers".

Ken

AMA 15382
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Offline kevin king

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2024, 09:33:46 AM »
« Last Edit: April 02, 2024, 03:19:50 PM by kevin king »

Offline Brent Williams

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2024, 09:53:35 AM »
Phil Cartier has posted his contact info over in his vendor section. 1-717-566-3810
His health isn't that great from what I gather. 

One thing to watch with all of the PET lamination films is the activation temperature of the adhesive.  Not a huge concern with balsa, but it is a big problem when covering foam.  When you are searching through the varieties of lamination film look at ones that call out low-temp, or digital print safe adhesive, ect. 

Offline Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2024, 10:16:22 AM »
All that info is great, but useless if you cant provide a source of where to get it.
I am not sure what that means.  I quoted my source, the RC sites.  I also posed the question of your specific brand to the Bing AI and it's research said it was not suited for foam.  I also read all of the negative reviews for the product listing and quite a few of the positive.  All had one common theme, it doesn't stick without excessive heat.  I assume that was outside of the laminating press for which it is designed.  One of them was particularly enlightening - the roll came with the 1st foot wrinkled and not in factory packaging.  They said that the add said that packaging may not be standard.  Simply put they bought a return and they must have a lot of them to put that in the listing.  I couldn't find that in the listing but that might have been removed after the review.  Another red flag was that on the 500' roll they would only allow you to view the 5 star reviews.  31% were negative.

Ken

My point is similar to yours.  You want to save money which is fine.
Mine is to trust the findings of the experts in our community, and I include RC in that.

I appologize for not explaining my search criteria in my original post, it might have saved all of this but there was one other.  I am using Mod Podge to avoid getting kicked out of the building for stinking it up. Mod Podge will bubble up if you use too much heat.  Even MonoKote has to be put on gently. Duculam adhered perfectly at a temperature that would barely stick MonoKote and zero bubbles.
AMA 15382
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here