News:

• May 07, 2024, 08:17:57 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: SKY LOFT Covering By Dave Brown Products  (Read 2949 times)

Online Dick Pacini

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
SKY LOFT Covering By Dave Brown Products
« on: May 04, 2012, 10:26:27 PM »
Has anyone used SKY LOFT covering?  Pros, cons?
AMA 62221

Once, twice, three times a lady.  Four times and she does it for a living.  "You want me on that wall.  You need me on that wall."

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Just here for the fun of it also.
Re: SKY LOFT Covering By Dave Brown Products
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2012, 07:09:03 AM »
Dick,

I've used some of it but never on open bays.

It's just a tighter weave tissue paper? A tad thicker.

I used it just like glass cloth. I still have some left from ages ago. Not sure you can read the directions, but it's the best photo I could take.

Charles
Trump Derangement Syndrome. TDS. 
Avaiojet Derangement Syndrome. ADS.
Amazing how ignorance can get in the way of the learning process.
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2012, 06:24:05 PM »
It's a synthetic cloth. Sort of like a heavier version of polyspan. I tried it. Once.
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Just here for the fun of it also.
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2012, 07:16:40 PM »
It's a synthetic cloth. Sort of like a heavier version of polyspan. I tried it. Once.

Randy,

Understandable.

That's not an empty bag. Dave Brown's Sky Loft material is still in it.  n~

Charles
Trump Derangement Syndrome. TDS. 
Avaiojet Derangement Syndrome. ADS.
Amazing how ignorance can get in the way of the learning process.
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Offline John Tomlin

• Lieutenant
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2012, 11:38:38 AM »

I have to agree with Randy on this one.  I tried it once.  Weave is very loose that took way too many coats to fill.  There were holes in it the size of ball point pen.  Almost impossible to fill.  It is very strong.  Polyspan or silk in my opinion is much better.

John

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2012, 05:10:31 PM »
SKY LOFT is a nylon mat. FAI Free Flight flapper expert Bill Giesking of Colorado used it for strengthening light structures, applied with "Deft" varnish sorta stuff, and probably then covered with monokote. It might work well with PolyAcrylic for a surface structural layer, but I can't imagine that it would sand out smooth...probably fuzzys would result. I wouldn't use it for open bays for any reason.  D>K Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Terrence Durrill

• Captain
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2012, 05:00:12 PM »
I used Dave Brown SKYLOFT on a TRIXTER BARNSTORMER I built in 1987.  I did find that it took a fair amount of dope to fill the tissue and that if you sanded it, you did get a case of the fuzzies.  Overall, the SKYLOFT has held up well and the BARNSTORMER is still flying today.  I also found out that if you lean over the plane and drop a ballpoint pen out of your pocket, you will get a hole in the wing that will need patching (of course, this is true with most coverings, except for parachute nylon which I have used on my SUPER CLOWN and one of my OUTLAW STERLING S-1 RINGMASTERS).  I would use SKYLOFT again, but I do prefer silk over SKYLOFT........TD.......  D>K     H^^  

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here