News:

• April 30, 2024, 03:28:17 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Simulated Canopies  (Read 1356 times)

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
Simulated Canopies
« on: November 24, 2009, 01:15:34 PM »
Over the years, I've seen some slick looking simulated (painted on) canopies. Some where stylistic while others were very realistic. If you have pictures of a simulated canopy you've done or seen, please post them here. I'd also like to hear a description of how it was done.

There was a guy that flew here in the Northwest (though he is from California) that did really great simulated canopies. He name is Scott Urabe. I'd love to know how he did them.
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
  • Don Shultz "1969 Nats Sting Ray"
Re: Simulated Canopies
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2009, 04:10:15 PM »
Randle...
Here is a couple of his canopies? However these look really nice put quite EZ compared to some of those beautiful artistal' Can-of-pee's' that you have become so famous for creating? H^^
« Last Edit: November 26, 2009, 05:53:41 PM by Shultzie »
Don Shultz

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2009, 08:34:59 PM »
I remember Scott's Ninja. I really like that reflection effect (the sunburst). Wish I had the talent (or at least practice) doing that sort of thing. It's very cool.

Thanks!
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2009, 10:18:44 AM »
Pretty simple...as you must jest? LL~
Make a small knife  star burst choice cut onto low tack tape.

Position it carefully on the high point of the canopy curve.

Make a very very short small circular close to the masking burst of white---
 with low volume of paint but a greater volume of air (since the airbrush is very very very close to the mask itself.)
 Extremely important in order to let each pointed finger of each star burst leg fade away into the main canopy background color.
99% of the time...most painters use WAAAAY TO MUCH PAINT VOLUME, instead of the all important larger volume of air...in order to allow  the airbrush to  build slowly the paint onto the surface itself.
Then the hardest part is  always AFTER U' PULL AWAY the masking!!!

At least for this blind ol' loonie tooner....it takes a really ACCURATE aiming job  and carefully adjusted airbrush with lots of PRACTICE BURSTS onto a  practice test strip to help determine   the thickness of the paint and the volume of air needed...before you begin to ZERO in onto the very center of the starbust onto the model itself....allowing just the right amount of time for that halo effect at the center to cover over the center of the star bust.
too much info...
bottom line: PRACTICE, PRACTICE, and PRACTICE...makes perfect? (Uhhh? Sometimes?  LL~ H^^

« Last Edit: November 25, 2009, 10:58:40 AM by Shultzie »
Don Shultz

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2009, 03:43:28 PM »
Scott explained to me how he did it, but his method is freehand with a well adjusted airbrush. I've done some practice runs and can sort of do it, but haven't developed enough touch to trust myself on a ready for final clear canopy. I may work up the nerve on this next one if I can get some more practice in and make myself happy enough with practice runs to dare the real thing.

I'm also interested in methods of shading and shadowing for canopies. Where the color fade from one to the other (as you can see Scott's does with shades of blue). I have a plan for the canopy on the new plane, but would certainly take input on techniques.
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2009, 06:19:05 PM »
Randy,
while not an expert ,, some experimentation has been done in my "studio" lol,
One method , essentially a modification of Shultzie's description, that I have used. I gathered a stack of exposed xray film from a lab one time. its thin, rigid and easily cut. I cut the star shape I wanted into the film, then holding it just over the surface of the model, spray lightly, more air than paint but low pressure. Then you can make one more intense blast at the center of the mask film making the burst in the center. still takes a steady hand, and some practice, but I liked it better than a mask that was stuck flush on the surface.

as for shading canopies, I have started with a black base, then using pearl in clear, done my shading.
for the main body, I spray with a blue and red pearl mix, mostly blue as i recall. Then I add some green pearl to the mix, spraying lightly around the perimiter, this "greys" the color of the pearl slightly making a better shadow effect. Now one revision on this, you can use colors that "match" your color scheme instead of the blue ~ red combo. just remember that to make brown, or to make a color dirtier, a small amount of the remaining color will dirty it up. I have also added a drop of violet, or grey toner to the shading mix to get a bit more pronounced variation in the shadows..
I normally shade around the back edge, and the bottom edge of the canopy area.     A sharper shadow  on the back edge than the bottom edge seems to be more aesthetically correct to me for some reason, the sides get a nice gentle blending of shadow,,,
For years the rat race had me going around in circles, Now I do it for fun!
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2009, 12:35:07 AM »
Mark,

I've been watching a series on custom car painting. The guy today was using what he called a raised mask to do what he called "real flames". I imagine this is close to what you're talking about for the sun sparkle or sunburst or whatever it's called. I have some vinyl I'll probably try playing with some more and see what I come up with. Better than doing it freehand like Scott described. I'd be too nervous that I would screw it up and probably screw it up.

On the shading, I hadn't thought of using pearls in clear to for shading. That's an interesting idea.
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Bruce Perry

• Commander
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2009, 10:43:06 AM »
Randy,

Hit youtube and enter airbrush techniques in the search.  You'll definitely find what you're looking for.  You may even have to watch it be painted on some girl....  Oh well the hazards of our hobbie....

B

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2009, 01:44:12 PM »
Hi Bruce!

yea, I was just trying to get some ideas besides "paint it black".

Edit

Could fine one on the sun sparkle effect, but I found some other stuff.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2009, 09:08:02 PM by Randy Powell »
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2009, 09:41:21 AM »
"Not to kidnappity' this post of your Randy...
Painting canopies on wind tunnel models over the years was always a "pain in the exterior" but usually I made a habit of starting with a base under coat of silver...followed my my trusty gaggle of Iwata HP-C air brushes. (I managed to escape after serving my 30 year incarseration behind the barbed wire fence with only 3 of my best Iwatas.
After many many hours and months of wind tunnel testing...this 7ft. Steel force model was turned over to me to do a final paint project. Thankfully the model was carefully prep'd and primed by my fellow felons.
Last year this model was still on display in the entrance of the Wind tunnel...but after all these years of sitting there in that sun filled lobby the clear top coats had yellowed and showed many paint cracks.
Kinda sad to see this ol' historic metal force model decay so badly. Hopefully my old modelmaker bud... Bruce Kimble will get a chance to "strip and repaint" that old work horse before they send it off to the metal scrap heap.
Don Shultz

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2009, 12:57:54 PM »
To think you guys got paid to do that.  LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~  Still a gorgeous looking bird.
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2009, 06:43:11 PM »
To think you guys got paid to do that.  LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~  Still a gorgeous looking bird.

Some of the major DOWN SIDES to getting paid for building models on command.. was NEVER having enough liberty in chosing paint schemes, or having enough time or budget to really do a first class art project.
That old saying "ONE CAN'T RUSH CREATIVITY" certainly didn't seem to carry much merit or truth for Boeing Wind Tunnel model makers or the under budgeted aerodynmaic model design engineering staff.
 If it wasn't for Ralph Johnson (perhaps one of the greatest and most highly gifted Boeing professional display model makers help me deal with those "create on demand demons....I wouldn't still be alive today to rant n' ramble about it? H^^

« Last Edit: December 07, 2009, 02:08:28 PM by Shultzie »
Don Shultz

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here