News:

• May 24, 2024, 01:36:45 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Sig Koverall  (Read 754 times)

Offline jim welch

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
Sig Koverall
« on: June 10, 2011, 08:40:38 PM »
I know this stuff is old in the package but is it any good?Assume I can dope it down and heat shrink it per the instructions....any body used it ?The wing is smooth with 2 coats of nitrate on it now thanks...Jimmy
AMA 89335

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Sig Koverall
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2011, 09:21:04 PM »
I've been told it's heavy, but I've never had occasion to use it.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Gary Anderson

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2011, 10:35:11 PM »
Hi Jim,
I've used this product on several planes and I believe its one of the best products on the market. Some will tell you its to heavy, shows to much weave, etc. I believe you can get a very nice looking finish using the koverall. If you go to search and type in Koverall you will see several different views about the material. A lot of builders use silk and if you type in search about silk you find out ya better know what ya a doing to use silk. The first time I used koverall I ended up with a nice job. Now only if I could finish a plane??? Try using Koverall and I believe you will be happy with it. If you're worried about an ounce or two, maybe use the silk????
Gary
« Last Edit: June 11, 2011, 07:34:42 AM by Gary Anderson »
Gary Anderson

Offline jim welch

• Commander
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2011, 06:44:59 AM »
Thanks Gary and Tim...the grain deal is ok cause its an old racer type airplane and it does need the strenght of the covering to help out.Weight may not matter since it will be a 427 in a chevette type airplane .I'm having fun doping this airplane or I'm high off the fumes ...can't figure which...Thanks mucho....Jimmy
AMA 89335

Offline kenneth cook

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2011, 08:07:03 AM »
         I'm with Gary on this one. I love the product. I don't like how it cuts , but it surely makes for a durable covering. I use the Stix-it to put it down which worked well. I think that adds weight. I would opt for the use of Nitrate to apply just like silkspan. I found that rather than sand the product it works better if you use a red Scotch Brite pad and burnish the filler coats. This prevents snags silmilar to what you get if you sand through polyspan. It has stayed tight for years now. Ken

Online John Miller

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2011, 08:39:35 AM »
Back in the way before, I covered a hot RC sport plane with koverall. I used stix it and ironed it on. I shrank it with a heat gun, and it conformed to the wing and tips extreemly well.

Instead of painting it, ( I was concerned about weight build up.) I covered with monokote, over it. It allowed me to do a very intricate trim scheme, and came out looking darned good.

I don't think it gained any more weight than had I used a more conventional dope and silkspan type finish.

One thing it was, was strong. Never did the covering sag, and when I finally did crash the plane, literally all the broken parts were neatly packed in a brightly colored bag. LL~

Getting a line on life. AMA 1601

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2011, 09:09:56 AM »
Yes cover-all seems heavy at first.  On 35 size planes on up it may come out lighter than silk or nylon.   Takes less dope to fill the weave.  Also like poly-span don't sand too much until you have a good build up of dope.  Some scale guys like the scale appearance it gives to  finish.   H^^
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline jim welch

• Commander
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2011, 04:00:52 PM »
W'ell ....doped it on with nitrate.....let it dry 2 hours ....ironed over all the edges...shrank it with the heat gun...tight as a drum...smooth as can be on the edges.....some pretty good stuff after all!This stuff came from an older hobby shop that most stuff is 10 15 years old , that's why I wasn't sure about it but it sure was reasonable....4 foot by 6 foot was 6.99.John,Kenneth, Doc thanks for the input.           Jimmy
AMA 89335

Offline Gary Anderson

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2011, 05:33:44 PM »
Hi Ken,

I had fun cutting the material at first. If you cut it a little large you can use a double edge razor blade and make a very nice cut after you stick the material edges. Just leave enough loose to slide the razor thru the material. If ya careful it cuts a almost perfect line. Hey!! what the heck give it a try??

Gary
Gary Anderson

Offline Paul Wood

• 21 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2011, 06:52:00 PM »
If you spray the line you intend to cut with hair spray, it will not unravel as you cut.  I would think you could use brushed dope to accomplish the same thing, but I don't use dope so I'm not positive.  I've been using the hair spray trick for years with no problems.

Paul

Offline kenneth cook

• Admiral
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2011, 06:59:29 PM »
        Paul, I've heard that before. I believe the same technique was used for fiberglass cloth as well. I always thought pinking shears would do the trick. I just can't seem to find a good quality pair of them. My grandmother had a real nice quality pair which were probably 40 yrs old. I remember her cutting silk for some craft work she was doing. I asked her if I could try and cut some pieces. It left nice clean unfrayed cuts. The pair I recently bought just folded the material into the blades. Ken

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here