News:

• May 02, 2024, 04:42:04 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Sig Koverall  (Read 3885 times)

Offline Gary Anderson

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
Sig Koverall
« on: February 05, 2010, 07:26:40 PM »
Hi guys,

I just covered my zero with the Sig koverall material and I love it. Some says its to heavy, I couldn't tell much difference between heavy silkspan and the koverall. The koverall goes on very easy and makes a very nice looking cover. The only draw back is ya have to be careful cutting the koverall, it frays easy. If I only have to shoot her with a couple of coats of dope, it'll be lighter than silkspan. With silkspan I end up with several coats of clear before I start any color. The cost of the koverall is cheap and if I end up with less dope, I can have more play money, Ha Ha. If ya haven't tried it, believe me it worth it. Mr Mike Pratt told me its great stuff and he's correct. I installed the koverall the same way I do silkspan and it was easier than silkspan. If it holds the tension, I'll have a winner. Thank you Sig for the great material, Koverall, Gary
Gary Anderson

Offline Clint Ormosen

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Sig Koverall
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2010, 10:09:43 PM »
Gary, I'm glad you having a positive experience with Koverall.

However, mine wasn't so pleasant. I couldn't get it to shrink up tight enough for my liking and it sucked up a lot of dope. Looked OK when it was done and it was very strong stuff, but I like a TIGHT covering and just couldn't manage it with the Koverall. Came out heavy, too.

Added: I was using Sig dope.
-Clint-

AMA 559593
Finding new and innovated ways to screw up the pattern since 1993

Offline Gary Anderson

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2010, 11:10:01 PM »
Hi Clint,

I'm sorry to hear it didn't work for you. Just curious, did you brush dope on or did you spray dope?? So far the covering is tight, looks good, ironed out very well. Maybe I don't tighten up my covering enough???? I didn't play a drum roll on it but its close!!!! When I drop a coin it bounces so I guess its tight!!!! I hope it stays when I apply dope to the covering. I was thinking maybe dusting coats with my spray gun????? Did you use any sanding sealer, thicken dope with talc powder????? Did you try sanding the edges, I'm afraid if not careful it could fray. I'm sorry for all the questions, just curious, Gary  (Also wondering about the life of the material, being material will it rot after awhile??? I've read where some say the material soaks up dope like a sponge and some say it doesn't take as much dope???? I guess I'll find out when I start doping her?????)
« Last Edit: February 06, 2010, 12:55:00 PM by Gary Anderson »
Gary Anderson

Offline Paul Wood

• 21 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2010, 05:09:04 PM »
Gary,

I've only recently returned to C/L after 30 years in R/C.  I've used Koverall for years in R/C and can answer a few of your questions.  It will never sag or rot.  Your final shrinkage will remain forever (unlike pastic coverings).  I've never used dope for sealing, but one of my buddies has.  He used 3 or 4 coats to seal.  I've always used Minwax polycrylic (water based).  Used a foam brush and applied 2 or 3 coats unthinned.  Being water based, it will take any type of primer/paint.  The only issue I see for U/C is that it takes a million coats of primer to fill the weave.  I only use it on scale fabric covered planes (Cubs, etc.).  Use a heat iron to seal.  You cannot control the heat from a heat gun and can actually crush the balsa structure.  To prevent fraying along the edges, spray the line you intend to cut with non-water based hair spray (I use Aqua Net) and use sharp scissors.  It's the only way I've found to control the fraying.  You can only sand the edges after a few coats of primer.  Good luck!

Paul

Offline Gary Anderson

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2010, 06:58:43 PM »
Hi Paul,
Thanks for the information, I brushed on a heavy coat of clear dope. Seems to have covered very well. I know on silkspan I usually end up with many coats of sanding sealer, sanded down and recoated. Does Koverall act the same way as silk material, having to have many coats to fill???? Many have stated they wouldn't use Koverall, cause its to heavy. Question, why does it end up heavier than using silkspan or silk??? Does it take much more dope than the other materials???? According to Mr. Mike Pratt it doesn't take as much dope as the others????? If ya go into search on both forum, they don't have much good to say about Koverall. If you're not careful you can make a silk job very heavy, so do ya think its the process or does it always come out heavy????? I've had the Koverall material for a few years and I've been afraid to use it. The Brodak Zero is a small plane, not much wing area, so I thought this would be a good project to try it on. I was happy with the installation of the material, hope if careful may not gain to much weight. Clint stated he couldn't get the material tight enough for him, I was happy with the tightness. Thank you for your help, I appreciate any input, want to be sure this is a bad process before I move on, Gary
« Last Edit: February 06, 2010, 10:37:15 PM by Gary Anderson »
Gary Anderson

Offline Gary Anderson

• Captain
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2010, 10:45:05 PM »
Hi Guys,

I don't believe the first coat of clear has gassed off but its close. The plane complete without engine or tank weighs 26 ounces. The engine is a evo 36 and a plastic 6 ounce tank, not sure what this plane should weigh when complete???? I'm going to keep track of the finish progress, At the moment I don't see why this material should be any heavier than using silkspan or silk, just hope I'm not wrong???? Gary
Gary Anderson

Offline Paul Wood

• 21 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2010, 07:02:46 AM »
Gary,

You are correct that Koverall should not weigh much more, if any, than silkspan.  The weight problem is that C/L builders are not comfortable leaving the weave showing in the final stages of the finish.  So, the weight comes from applying primer to completely fill the weave.  That's going to add a lot of weight.  Koverall is widely used in R/C because the weave is actually desired in the scale airplanes.  I personally don't think the visible weave is an issue for back yard flyers like me.  The easy application process and strength out weigh the fact that the weave is visible.  One other thing I forgot to mention, if you are going to apply trim colors, you will need to seal the edges of the masking tape with the base color or clear.  Otherwise the trim color will bleed under the tape due to the weave.  I love this product and would not hesitate to use it on a C/L. I'm completing a Profile Oriental right now and will probably use Koverall on the wings.  The visible weave just doesn't bother me.  Hope this helps.

Paul

Offline Gary Anderson

• Captain
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2010, 12:24:13 PM »
Hi Paul,
Thanks for the information. I was thinking about how some do silk, they apply silkspan and than apply silk over the silkspan. I was wondering what if you apply the Koverall than apply silkspan over it???? I wonder if that would cover the weave????? It would be very strong and have the silkspan look???? I bet with the backing of the Koverall it wouldn't take much dope to fill the span. Not sure if this would help keep the weigh down???? Gary
Gary Anderson

Offline Paul Wood

• 21 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2010, 03:32:50 PM »
That sounds like a good idea.  I might just try that on my Oriemtal.  I would think you use the light weight silkspan, correct?  You've got me thinking now.  Let me know if you try it and how it works out.

Paul

Offline Gary Anderson

• Captain
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2010, 07:08:04 PM »
Hi Paul,

I've already doped the covering, so I'm going to wait and try doing this process of another plane. I have an elevator, stab section ready to be covered for my new stiletto. Probably be a few days before I give the new method a try. I think that if I installing the koverall, the dope method, dope the edges and than dope down the koverall and then apply silkspan. Forgot I'll have to heat shrink the koverall before installing the silkspan over the koverall. When I dope down the silkspan, the dope should penetrate the koverall also and maybe won't take as much dope?????? I'll let ya know what happens, Gary
Gary Anderson

Offline Steve Helmick

• Admiral
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2010, 08:03:58 PM »
Gary...Why not just use Polyspan? If that's to spendy, go to the fabric store and buy the dress liner version. Take a micrometer and buy the thinnest grade you can get. Take the Mrs. with you to distract the sales chix.   y1 Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Gary Anderson

• Captain
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2010, 09:51:14 PM »
Gary...Why not just use Polyspan? If that's to spendy, go to the fabric store and buy the dress liner version. Take a micrometer and buy the thinnest grade you can get. Take the Mrs. with you to distract the sales chix.   y1 Steve
Hi Steve,

Isn't polyspan the same material as Koverall???? Is polyspan a better polyester than koverall????? The reason I'm trying the koverall is cause I bought it a few years ago and after reading the articles on this forum, I was having a hard time in deciding to use the material. Mr. Mike Pratt told me its good stuff and he's correct. Paul informed me about the problem with the weave and I think if ya cover the koverall with lite silkspan it should do away with the weave and should still be a strong lite finish. At this moment I believe that koverall is a great material. Clint said he didn't like it cause he couldn't get it tight enough for him. I've used the heat iron and it seems to be tight as a drum. With the amount of koverall I have, could do several planes and so far its not heavy at all????? Thanks for your input, Gary
Gary Anderson

Offline kenneth cook

• Admiral
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2010, 03:36:43 AM »
        I chose to use Koverall on my Oriental. I used nitrate as the base coats as recommended. Apparently butyrate doesn't adhere to synthetics as well and can shed. I used as much dope to finish as I would've used doing a silkspan wing. I found that sandpaper didn't work too well during the sanding process as it would cut through and cause fraying. I used scotch brite pads to sand up to the color. This was a bit more labor intensive but it left a beautiful finish on the wings that polished up real nice. I have no visible weave and as mentioned above no sagging even after 3 years. I used the Stix-it to apply, but I feel the dope method would be equally as well. I think the adhesive adds more weight than the dope would've. I've even used the left over pieces on 1/2 a combat wings. I just used Nelson clear on those and they surely aren't suffering from weight penalties. Nelson Hobby paints can be applied directly over the weave without any base coats. This indeed will show the weave but I use this method when beauty isn't desired. Ken

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2010, 09:47:27 AM »
Gary,  if you mean by the same material, yes it is the same poly ester stuff.  Ony Polyspan is like silkspan in which the threads are random and not continuous.  Koverall is a woven polyester fabric.  The weave is what people have trouble filling.
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Gary Anderson

• Captain
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2010, 02:35:57 PM »
Gary,  if you mean by the same material, yes it is the same poly ester stuff.  Ony Polyspan is like silkspan in which the threads are random and not continuous.  Koverall is a woven polyester fabric.  The weave is what people have trouble filling.
Hi John,

Have you tried to install silkspan over the koverall???? I'm going to try it on a different plane, is I hadn't already dope this plane I would have tried it on this one. Not sure but I believe the silkspan would cover up the weave and with the koverall as a backing, I believe it could make a nice finish. I like silkspan but it damages to easy, so thinking with the koverall backing could make a strong set up????? Adding lite silkspan would be like adding a coat of dope and maybe with the backing the silkspan may not take as much dope????? I would appreciate any input, Gary
Gary Anderson

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here