News:

• May 03, 2024, 09:17:17 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Sig dope vs Brodak dope  (Read 6153 times)

Offline Dan Bregar

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
  • Field Marshall
Sig dope vs Brodak dope
« on: October 02, 2010, 09:49:39 AM »
Some people say that Sig dope is more fuel proof than Brodak.  I don't know since I've not used Brodak yet.  But my question is this.  If Sig clear is more fuel proof than Brodak clear, can I use Sig clear as the final finish coats over Brodak colors ?  ::)
AMA 33676

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
Re: Sig dope vs Brodak dope
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2010, 11:24:00 AM »
Some people say that Sig dope is more fuel proof than Brodak.  I don't know since I've not used Brodak yet.  But my question is this.  If Sig clear is more fuel proof than Brodak clear, can I use Sig clear as the final finish coats over Brodak colors ?  ::)

Hi Dan,

I have done that.  I have used Sig Lite Coat over Brodak, Certified, Randolph's, automotive acrylic lacquer.....  I did use the same thinner all the way through, and some say that might be the key.

Your mileage may vary.

Mongo
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline Dan Bregar

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
  • Field Marshall
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2010, 02:10:29 PM »
Bill

The "your mileage may very" part makes me a little nervous.  So If I use Brodak colors and Brodak thinner thru the whole process, including thinning out the Sig lite coat clear as a finish coat, I'll be OK, or is my mileage going to be impacted in a negative sort of way ???    ::)
AMA 33676

Offline Balsa Butcher

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
  • High Desert Flier
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2010, 02:58:41 PM »
I have not had any trouble at all using Sig Lite-Coat over Brodak colors and have done so recently and often. However, I would not use Brodak thinner with Sig dope. Stick with Sig thinner w/Sig dope and you should not have any problems. Others experience may differ... 8)
Pete Cunha
Sacramento CA.
AMA 57499

Offline Dan Bregar

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
  • Field Marshall
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2010, 03:54:07 PM »
I have not had any trouble at all using Sig Lite-Coat over Brodak colors and have done so recently and often. However, I would not use Brodak thinner with Sig dope. Stick with Sig thinner w/Sig dope and you should not have any problems. Others experience may differ... 8)

Pete

If I use Sig thinner for thinning the Lite-Coat, what thinner are you suggesting I use for the Brodak color coats ? ???   Are you suggesting I use Sig thinner for both brands of dope ?
AMA 33676

Offline Dan Bregar

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
  • Field Marshall
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2010, 08:42:59 PM »
Hi Dan,

I have done that.  I have used Sig Lite Coat over Brodak, Certified, Randolph's, automotive acrylic lacquer.....  I did use the same thinner all the way through, and some say that might be the key.

Your mileage may vary.

Mongo

Bill  Little

So what thinner did you use "all the way through" then ?

Dan

AMA 33676

Offline Dan Bregar

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
  • Field Marshall
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2010, 09:02:10 PM »

Pete

So you have used Sig Lite-Coat over Brodak colors "recently and often".  Then what thinner have you been using successfully for this scenario ?
AMA 33676

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2010, 09:27:59 PM »
FWIW, I have been using Brodak thinner with my SIG Lite coat for five years, no problems.  This week I ran out of Brodak thinner, but the price is so high, I ordered Randolphs thinner from Aircraft Spruce for half the cost, $10.. shipping for 6 quarts, got it the very next day, via FedEx.

I can't tell or see any difference in the two thinners, as Randolphs makes or rather cans the thinner for Brodak, except for cost... D>K.

'Spose a guy could use Randolph branded clear for the final coats then? I wonder if it would differ any from the blend they do for Brodak?

FWIW, The only "fuel proof" issue I've seen with Brodak is some staining if you get raw fuel on the model somehow. One way to avoid that is remembering to put your tank pressure plug back on before you fire the engine(s). This would be so that you don't spray raw fuel all over your airplane like a fire hose. ;D
Narrowly averting disaster since 1964! 

Wayne Willey
Albert Lea, MN U.S.A. IC C/L Aircraft Modeler, Ex AMA member

Offline Balsa Butcher

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
  • High Desert Flier
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2010, 09:44:51 PM »
As one can see, there are no right answers and lots of opinions regarding dope finishes. One has to find a technique and practice that works for them. For me, it's not mixing brands of dope/thinner. An exception would be Randolph/Brodak thinner as I too believe that Randolph supplies Brodak with dope so they should be compatable.  No question in my mind as to Brodak vs Sig regarding fuel proofing. Sig Lite Coat wins by a mile. It has been my experience that raw fuel melts Brodak clear and mist fuel will damage it. You pays your money, makes your choice, and takes your chances.  8)
Pete Cunha
Sacramento CA.
AMA 57499

Offline Dan Bregar

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
  • Field Marshall
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2010, 10:59:41 AM »

Pete

So you have used Sig Lite-Coat over Brodak colors "recently and often".  Then what thinner have you been using successfully for this scenario ?

Pete

It would be helpful to me if you could tell me the answer to the above question. :-\
AMA 33676

Offline Dan Bregar

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
  • Field Marshall
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2010, 06:39:57 PM »
FWIW, I have been using Brodak thinner with my SIG Lite coat for five years, no problems.  This week I ran out of Brodak thinner, but the price is so high, I ordered Randolph's thinner from Aircraft Spruce for half the cost.. $10 for shipping for 6 quarts, got it the very next day, via FedEx.

I can't tell or see any difference in the two thinners, as Randolph's makes or rather cans the thinner for Brodak, except for cost... D>K.

Ty

If you have been using Brodak thinner with Sig Lite coat with no problems, then back to my original question of can I use Sig Lite coat over Brodak colors to get improved fuel proofness (I just invented that word), It seems logical  if I use Brodak or Randolph's thinner all the way, it should be OK.  Anyone disagree with this logic ? ::)
AMA 33676

Offline Balsa Butcher

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
  • High Desert Flier
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2010, 09:48:40 PM »
I use Sig thinner with Sig dope, Brodak thinner with Brodak dope. Other's mix and match but I don't.  This is not to be taken as a criticism of anyone elses techniques, it is only what works for me. 8)
Pete Cunha
Sacramento CA.
AMA 57499

Offline Balsa Butcher

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
  • High Desert Flier
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2010, 05:27:16 PM »
I can sure relate to that. I have stocked up somewhat and have enough Sig clear for a few more models but have concerns regarding the continued availability of Sig, especially clear Lite-Coat. I'm glad that there are alternatives but hope that Sig continues supplying dope.  8)
Pete Cunha
Sacramento CA.
AMA 57499

Offline Dan Bregar

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
  • Field Marshall
« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2010, 06:03:38 PM »
PETE

THEN YOUR ANSWER TO MY QUESTION MUST BE YOU PUT ON THE BRODAK COLOR COATS AND THIN THEM WITH BRODAK THINNER.  AND YOU PUT SIG LITE COAT OVER THE BRODAK COLORS AND THIN IT WITH SIG THINNER. OTHERS ARE SUGGESTING I THINK TO USE ONE THINNER WITH BOTH BRANDS OF DOPE, UNLESS I GOT IT WRONG SOMEWHERE. <=
AMA 33676

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2010, 12:49:31 AM »

Bill  Little

So what thinner did you use "all the way through" then ?

Dan

HI Dan,

I use only Dupont 3608S thinner in all my dope and lacquer products.  Have been doing it for about 20 years now.  Never use Dupont thinner with a "V" suffix!

*Your Mileage May Vary* was thrown out for all the guys who insist that you must use only one manufacturer's products all the way through.  It is something I would definitely do if I was charging a customer $20,000 for painting a car, like one of my buddies used to do.  But, if I had to do that on model airplanes, I would probably not have finished a single plane since the '70s.  I use whatever product I have on hand, and nothing has bit me so far.  I mix Sig Dope, Randolph Dope, Certified Dope, Duplicolor Lacquers, and Dupont Chromabase paints.  Never put nitrate over any other paint I use, and I do not clear Chromabase with Dope or Lacquer.  I will put automotive urethane clear over any other paint, including Rustoleum types..   Short version, I mix and match all my *lacquer* paints.

Of course, I have not used Aero Gloss Dope or Testors Dope in well over 30 years.  Those WOULD cause compatibility problems back in the day.

Mongo
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline Ward Van Duzer

• Admiral
« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2010, 10:18:48 AM »
Right on "Little Bill", DuPont 3608S or 3602S with any Sig, Certified, or Randolph. Sorry, I can't afford Brodak...

Ward-O
I hate spelling errors, you mess up 2 letters and you are urined!

Don't hesitate to ask dumb questions.
They are easier to handle than dumb mistakes!  Ward-O AMA 6022

Offline Dan Bregar

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
  • Field Marshall
« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2010, 04:11:24 PM »
HI Dan,

I use only Dupont 3608S thinner in all my dope and lacquer products.  Have been doing it for about 20 years now.  Never use Dupont thinner with a "V" suffix!

*Your Mileage May Vary* was thrown out for all the guys who insist that you must use only one manufacturer's products all the way through.  It is something I would definitely do if I was charging a customer $20,000 for painting a car, like one of my buddies used to do.  But, if I had to do that on model airplanes, I would probably not have finished a single plane since the '70s.  I use whatever product I have on hand, and nothing has bit me so far.  I mix Sig Dope, Randolph Dope, Certified Dope, Duplicolor Lacquers, and Dupont Chromabase paints.  Never put nitrate over any other paint I use, and I do not clear Chromabase with Dope or Lacquer.  I will put automotive urethane clear over any other paint, including Rustoleum types..   Short version, I mix and match all my *lacquer* paints.

Of course, I have not used Aero Gloss Dope or Testors Dope in well over 30 years.  Those WOULD cause compatibility problems back in the day.

Mongo

Bill Little

OK Bill !!!  You told it so even I could understand it clearly.  Thank you for your "seasoned experience".  I feel I can trust what you are saying. I'll be buying some of that Dupont thinner. And yes I know about the compatibility issues of nitrate vs butyrate, and used to use AeroGloss & Testors dope as a teenager, so I remember the issues there.  You have given me good information for sure.  My whole point for raising the question about Sig vs Brodak compatibility is a moot point right now cause I can't get the Sig Litecote clear to put over the Brodak color dope.  So I guess I have to come up with another "clear" that I can put over Brodak to make it more fuel proof. I was hoping to be able to brush it on as opposed to spraying, but that may not be workable.  Tell me if you will what options I can use that won't turn yellow. I appreciate you taking the time to help me out.

Best Regards

Dan
AMA 33676

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2010, 11:22:47 PM »
 Hmm, you guys have me thinking now. What does a gallon of 3608S typically go for? I would imagine that you can just pick it up at your local NAPA or something?
Narrowly averting disaster since 1964! 

Wayne Willey
Albert Lea, MN U.S.A. IC C/L Aircraft Modeler, Ex AMA member

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2010, 07:14:19 AM »
Hmm, you guys have me thinking now. What does a gallon of 3608S typically go for? I would imagine that you can just pick it up at your local NAPA or something?

HI Wayne,

The last gallon I bought was right at $20 for the 3608S.  3602S is also fine for our purposes, just better for high humidity (according to Ward-O).  NEVER use the *V*.

As to the clear question, Dan, I would use clear automotive urethane in a spray can, if you can find it, for the top coat.  I only spray everything now that I have had a compressor for years.  If you use urethane, give the dope a week or so to completely gas off.  It *could* lift in areas if the dope is not finished gassing off.  The urethane is a mechanical bond versus the chemical bond for the lacquer types of paint like dope.

Big Bear
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline Dan Bregar

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
  • Field Marshall
« Reply #19 on: October 07, 2010, 07:04:05 PM »
Bill

Thanks for the tip on the clear urethane.  One more question.  If I have this airplane painted with butyrate colors and go over it with the clear urethane, How much of a problem is it if I need to patch a hole in the wing or do some touch-up painting since we have different types of paint ? :P
AMA 33676

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #20 on: October 08, 2010, 08:39:02 PM »
Now you are opening a can of worms.  Patching a finished surface is like painting a replaced fender on a car.  It will never match up completely.  I watched one of the best in the KC area do paint on repaired cars.  He even told customers that do not look at the finish for at least a month.  I even heard tell them not to even wash it with soap for about the same length of time.  Usually the customers that listened came back and thanked him.   Painting and refinishing is an art that takes lots of time and practice. H^^
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #21 on: October 08, 2010, 09:06:38 PM »
Bill

Thanks for the tip on the clear urethane.  One more question.  If I have this airplane painted with butyrate colors and go over it with the clear urethane, How much of a problem is it if I need to patch a hole in the wing or do some touch-up painting since we have different types of paint ? :P

Hi Dan,

I have never had a problem using dope to patch a hole in a wing with urethane clear coat.  I just do it as it was done when building, dope to attach the silkspan and build it up, whatever color is needed and then urethane over that.  The urethane has never *wrinkled* using dope over it.

Bill
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline Dan Bregar

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
  • Field Marshall
« Reply #22 on: October 09, 2010, 06:02:09 PM »
Bill

This sounds like a win, win situation. Thanks for sharing your "seasoned experience". ;)

Dan
AMA 33676

Offline Jim Treace

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
  • 1979 600 Aerostar N79JT
« Reply #23 on: November 10, 2010, 09:29:57 AM »
I can sure relate to that. I have stocked up somewhat and have enough Sig clear for a few more models but have concerns regarding the continued availability of Sig, especially clear Lite-Coat. I'm glad that there are alternatives but hope that Sig continues supplying dope.  8)

Late coming into this thread, but I orderd Sig dope and can't get it. See just received note from Sig. According to Sig, Brodak and Randolph dopes are both compatable with all Sig products.

Subject:   RE: Dope Order
Date:   Wed 11/10/2010 10:00 AM

Jim,
We will get the thinner and retarder out to you ASAP.  It will probably
ship later today.
As for the other sources.  Either of these company's produce a
compatibleproduct with
Sig dope products.

www.brodak.com

http://www.randolphaircraft.com

As you will see, Randolph is aimed at full size aircraft, but will work
perfectly for model use.

Sincerely,

Dave Falkenhagen
Sig Mfg. Co.

--

Jim Treace
Ponte Vedra Beach, FL &
Paris, TN
AMA 855251 "Too soon we grow old...Too late we grow wise"

larry borden

« Reply #24 on: November 10, 2010, 03:15:25 PM »
And a qt of Randolph color is about 22.00.

Offline Balsa Butcher

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
  • High Desert Flier
« Reply #25 on: November 10, 2010, 05:35:54 PM »
Just for clarification: Am I to conclue that Sig sent out the thinner and retarder but was not able to supply dope? If so, that is not a good thing. :-[
Pete Cunha
Sacramento CA.
AMA 57499

Offline afml

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #26 on: November 10, 2010, 08:59:27 PM »
If you like Sig Lite Coat or ANY Sig dope, hope you have it stockpiled....
The Lady on on the phone last Thursday said "That's all Folks!"
Well.....SHE didn't say THAT  
But she DID SAY "Sig dope is no longer available."  %^

"Tight Lines!"

Wes
Wes Eakin

Offline Jim Treace

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
  • 1979 600 Aerostar N79JT
« Reply #27 on: November 11, 2010, 02:59:58 PM »
Just for clarification: Am I to conclue that Sig sent out the thinner and retarder but was not able to supply dope? If so, that is not a good thing. :-[
Yes, no Sig dope, not even colors. They only have some thinner and retarder still in stock and will ship that to me. But said their supplier of their dope materials had stopped production and not sure when, if ever, they would produce. So, Sig sent me to Randolph and Brodak (which is Randolph dope anyway).
I ordered the Randolph Monday late afternoon and it arrived today (Wed!!!).
Jim
Jim Treace
Ponte Vedra Beach, FL &
Paris, TN
AMA 855251 "Too soon we grow old...Too late we grow wise"

Offline Leester

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #28 on: November 15, 2010, 07:12:57 PM »
I hope I'm not to late, I ordered some thinner today as I have plenty of dope but want to make sure I have enough thinner to finish my project. Guess I'll find out tomarrow.
Leester
ama 830538

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #29 on: November 15, 2010, 09:19:58 PM »
Hmmmm....... Seems like I am back to using Randolph Dope like I did back in the early '60s when I started!! LOL!!  I could get the  Randolph from a friends Dad who ran the maintenance at the local airport.  Been using the Randolph Nitrate non-tautening-tinted recently, anyway.

One thing is for sure, it is cheaper than the "Hobby" Brands, but I hate not having Sig Lite Coat anymore........... bummer

Oh, well, a trip to my "local" hobby shop to get whatever quarts they have left.

Big Bear
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline Leester

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #30 on: November 16, 2010, 06:08:42 PM »
Just received notification from Sig that my thinner is to be shipped, so they have the thinner still but for how long ???
Leester
ama 830538

Offline Jim Kraft

• Admiral
  • AMA78415
« Reply #31 on: November 19, 2010, 07:02:14 AM »
I have used Dupont 3608S in both Randolph and Sig dope for years without problems. It is getting higher in price. I just bought a gallon yesterday and it was up to $25.00. I use to get it for around $14.00 ten years ago.
Jim Kraft

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #32 on: November 19, 2010, 11:42:34 AM »
I have used Dupont 3608S in both Randolph and Sig dope for years without problems. It is getting higher in price. I just bought a gallon yesterday and it was up to $25.00. I use to get it for around $14.00 ten years ago.

Hi Jim,

Yep, it has gone up slightly in the past couple years.  But so has everything else! LOL!!  I remember when I could get it at a jobbers price of about $11.  Last was about $20.  Haven't had to buy any lately, I still have 2 gallons, but I expect it will cost me close to $25 when I do.  I always get multiple gallons (as much as I can reasonably afford) so that I can work at 3:00am if I want to! LOL!!

I never had a problem with Randolph clear as a top coat back in the day.  I am missing some of the "fuel proof" part of this discussion.  No dope is fuel "proof", and the burnt fuel never seemed to attack the finish.  Just am careful about raw fuel on the finish.

I always have a can of PPG Flex Additive (plasticizer) on hand, plus PPG Fish Eye Killer, also..

Big Bear
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline Leester

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #33 on: November 19, 2010, 08:47:03 PM »
I've got an Idea but can someone explain the Plasticizer and Fish eye killer ?? What brand names (I see Bill mentioned PPG) how much you add to what amount of Color?? Clear?? in general a lesson on usage. TIA
Leester
ama 830538

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #34 on: November 21, 2010, 01:58:39 AM »
Hi Lee,

The PPG Flex Additive, and Fish Eye killer are automotive paint (acrylic lacquer) additives that I add to dope (a "lacquer paint").  I cannot claim this idea, I got it from Windy maybe 20 years ago.  A couple drops of fish eye killer and a small amount of flex additive to the thinned paint.  I have no exact equation, but the cans have some instructions on them.  With Sig dope (which may or may not be available n the future) not much of the flexative is needed since it already contains plasticizer.  The fish eye killer is simply to help prevent fish eyes from contamination.

Big Bear
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here