News:

• April 27, 2024, 05:17:49 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Sata minijet - which model  (Read 1009 times)

Offline Mike Quinn

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Ensign
Sata minijet - which model
« on: November 03, 2023, 01:01:10 AM »
Hi

Thinking of treating myself to an overpriced spray gun, especially for my ability.

I’ve heard people say a lot of good things on different forums about the Sata minijet.

There are a few different models and looks like a few different nozzle sizes.

Any recommendations on he most suitable for all round work using Say Klasskote or Auto 1K paints followed by a 2K clear.

Cheers

Mike

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Sata minijet - which model
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2023, 07:30:02 AM »
Mike,
For the amount of trouble setting up and expense cleaning an expensive spray gun so it is usable for the next use you really have to have a lot of spare time. Windy has said that having cheap guns with properly thinned paint works just a good cause you still need to sand and polish the clear coat.

For my money I use the Preval Spray System from Home Depot (about $6). Each power head can do a full size ship with about two coats before changing out. They work great as long as you filter the paint (I use a gauze pad in a large mouth jar) and thin it to about 55/45 thinner/paint. I use one for each color. When done toss.

Best,  DennisT

Offline doug coursey

• Commander
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2023, 07:45:02 AM »
Mike,
For the amount of trouble setting up and expense cleaning an expensive spray gun so it is usable for the next use you really have to have a lot of spare time. Windy has said that having cheap guns with properly thinned paint works just a good cause you still need to sand and polish the clear coat.

For my money I use the Preval Spray System from Home Depot (about $6). Each power head can do a full size ship with about two coats before changing out. They work great as long as you filter the paint (I use a gauze pad in a large mouth jar) and thin it to about 55/45 thinner/paint. I use one for each color. When done toss.

Best,  DennisT

I BOUGHT ONE ABOUT 18 YEARS AGO..I PAINTED MY RC HELICOPTER CANOPIES WITH AND IT SPRAYS VERY GOOD AND LAYS OUT REALLY SMOOTH IF YOU THIN IT OUT THE RIGHT AMOUNT...IF YOU USE 2 PART PAINT YOU HAVE TO CLEAN IT REAL GOOD BECAUSE ONCE THE PAINT HARDENS YOU CANT CLEAN IT OUT....DOPE IS NOT A PROBLEM LIKE THE 2 PART PAINT...IM USING NOW ON MY CONTROL LINE PLANES
AMA 21449

Offline Mike Quinn

• Ensign
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2023, 11:41:42 AM »
Hi

Yeah, I already have HF HVLP.  Cheap as chips and I get decent results.  Don’t mind the strip down and cleaning part.  Like the masking, thats where you need to put the physiological effort.  The spraying itself isn’t much of an effort at all per se,

Cheers

Mike

Offline Ken Bird

• 2020 supporter
  • Ensign
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2023, 07:25:17 AM »
Mike,

The model that I use is the SATA minijet 4400 B hvlp 1.4SR.

It is perfect for our stunt models and will handle dopes, epoxies, automotive base coats, catalyze polyurethanes (aka “automotive clear”) with excellent results.

I’ve used many different types of guns, painting everything from cars and motorcycles to even a fridge and a stove along with model airplanes of course. This gun is by far the best unit I have used.

Bruce Perry turned me on to this gun. I think it’s his favourite as well.

Offline Mike Quinn

• Ensign
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2023, 09:20:53 AM »
Hi Ken

Thanks for the feedback.  I guessed it might be that model but did wonder about the nozzle size.  I’d be able to get more use out of it than just CL models as I also fly RC and Freeflight (although not much use for Freeflight 🤣).

Ive made a start of a 1/5 scale Slingsby Petrel slope soarer so will definitely be using on models like that.

https://forums.modelflying.co.uk/index.php?/topic/52871-another-slingsby-petrel-34m-by-cw/&tab=comments#comment-958188

Same same with RC pattern models etc.  Lol, can you tell I’m talking myself into it 😀

Cheers

Mike

PS I meant psychological effort ... not physiological.  Maybe that as well 😂

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here