News:

• May 04, 2024, 07:18:25 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Sanding sealer ?  (Read 1399 times)

Offline jim gilmore

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Sanding sealer ?
« on: April 03, 2009, 01:03:47 PM »
Ok, I picked up sanding sealer at Ace hardware and only today I noticed it was solvent-based not water. Will this work with the floor polish or should I just wait and get water based? Or if I cover the whole plane with silkspan can I skip sanding sealer ?

Offline roger

• Captain
Re: Sanding sealer ?
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2009, 04:22:52 PM »
nope!!!! mine was water based and not $7.00 A CAN BUT 12.00 A CAN for a qt.
roger

Offline jim gilmore

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2009, 06:57:41 PM »
Yeah I went back and swapped it for the water based one. taThe guy working there said it prolly doesn't work worth a damn.....hahah I'm in ca. no less.

Offline roger

• Captain
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2009, 08:24:30 PM »

what? ???

Offline jim gilmore

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2009, 09:34:57 PM »
just an off the cuff remark about the paints..ie water based aren't as good as the old stuff.And I'm living in the state that as far as I know has the tightest environmental laws on the books.

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2009, 11:26:35 AM »
I think what you have to watchout for is the old oil based paints which I hope are not beign produced anymore.  I used a wood workers sanding sealer one time on a plane.  It seemed to work but with made plane a little heavier.  Might have been the way I put it on tho.  DOC Holliday
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline roger

• Captain
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2009, 04:23:51 PM »
i tried 5 coats of the ace brand sealer (5) and still have grain showing... maybe if you dipped it it might work.
roger LL~

Offline jim gilmore

• Admiral
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2009, 12:53:07 AM »
I tried the waqter based sanding sealer.. so far I'm not big on it. I am still working on the shark 402. I have sprayed the back half of the fuselage gray prime over 2 coats of sandung sealer.
So here is my next question for the guys that have the flawless finish models. how much sand paper do you go through and what grades do you use ?
 I have tried with i think its 300 wet/dry and it fills real fast. should I wet sand ?

Offline Serge_Krauss

• Admiral
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2009, 10:53:46 AM »
I don't apply flawless finishes yet, but believe that I can, when desired. I get a lot of mileage from my sand paper from the technique described below.

After a few coats of sanded clear, sanding sealer, or Brodak primer - anything that starts to build up - I wet-sand with Dupont Prep-Sol, as suggested by Larry Cunningham. The paper still wears out, but much more slowly, and it does not clog or accumulate anything. The Prep-sol doesn't hurt the wood (no warps) and does seem to aid the sand paper in cutting the accumulating finish. In fact, you need to be careful how much or how long you sand, because you can easily remove too much.  However, the finish is smooth. The Prep-Sol dries quickly - in perhaps a minute - while sanding. The photo below (I hope) illustrates the satin surface smoothness, after sanding with worn #400 or #600 paper. The typical residue should be visible along the nose tripler and is removed simply by gently passing a cloth over the surface. Sprayed clear completes the gloss, even with just Preval canisters.

SK

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here