News:

• April 27, 2024, 09:21:48 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Safety ? for Mark Scarborough  (Read 736 times)

Offline Allan Perret

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • Proverbs
Safety ? for Mark Scarborough
« on: March 30, 2012, 10:14:46 AM »
Or any other Professional auto painters out there.

Expect to be spraying 2-part auto clear on my latest creation sometime later next week.  First time for me with the auto stuff. 
I have a 3M mask (7200) that has a 7251 Organic Vapor cartridge and a 7N11 N95 Particulate Filter.  Is that good enought or do I need something more.  Only reason I question it because the label says "3M recommended for use in non-oil paint spray, organic vapor, or pesticide applications".  Not really sure what they mean by "non-oil".

Allan Perret
AMA 302406
Slidell, Louisiana

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
Re: Safety ? for Mark Scarborough
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2012, 10:34:25 AM »
Allan,

I suspect they are talking about the compressor (maybe not). I have an oil lube compressor and shoot the stuff without issue, but I have a de-humidifier and filter in line.

Keep in mind that 2 part urethane topcoats have free iso-cyanides so until they catalyze, it's definitely not something you want to breathe. Sounds like you have good equipment. I use much the same when I shoot the stuff, but the cartridges are pretty much one time use. The iso-cyanides will eat through the filters eventually so I use them once and discard them. After the paint catalyzes it's pretty inert. I probably wouldn't eat it, but it's more or less harmless at that point. But after shooting the stuff, get out of the area and wait a couple of hours until the stuff is mostly catalyzed. Guys that shoot the stuff all the time use a full face mask and outside air - a sealed system. There's a reason for that.

The other thing is, wear long sleeves, a hat and gloves. The stuff will seep into your skin too.
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
Re: Safety ? for Mark Scarborough
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2012, 10:38:52 AM »
Allan,
yes From what I can see that is a workable combination. However, I also recomend ( strongly) wearing eye protection, hand protection, and I prefer to wear a tyvek suit as well. The nasty chemicals are attrated to moisture , so sweating hands and arms,, eyes, and your ears are susceptable to exposure. You also need to provide a method for air exhcange in the room. Now, you CAN spray the model,, leave the room until the clear flashes,, and then once its dust free, aerate the room for a fresh air exchange. Need I say to wear your protection when you go in to flush the air from your room? YOu really should maintain some air exchange in the space where the model is curing because the solvents will permeate the room and can cause the clear to haze while it drys,,
Ok so thats more than you bargained for, but,, there ya go,, short version.. minimize exposure,, wear protection, preferably with air exchange in the room, maintain room temp of at least 65 degrees for 24 hours for proper crosslink in the clear.
You should also be aware, once you expose the activated filters to atmosphere, they begin to degrade and their function is decreased.. So do not open the package to look at them and admire them until you are ready to spray. If you paint one model every six months you will need NEW filters for each model. They are only good for a number of hours exposure.. I kept mine in a double bagged ziplock in my toolbox and would get new ones quite frequently,, they are pretty cheap in the long run.
For years the rat race had me going around in circles, Now I do it for fun!
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here