News:

• May 28, 2024, 09:46:30 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Clear coat b;ush  (Read 1790 times)

Offline Harold Brewer

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Lieutenant
Clear coat b;ush
« on: July 06, 2016, 06:53:01 AM »
     Well, I decided, in a rush, to try and clear coat my Ringmaster last Saturday.  Humidity was high, but I thought that , with extra retarder, I could still spray.  Wrong!!!  Plane looks like it was dipped in milk; about ready to shoot it black and call it a day.  I could really use some suggestions on how to deal with the blushing.

Brew H^^

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Just here for the fun of it also.
Re: Clear coat b;ush
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2016, 08:09:06 AM »
     Well, I decided, in a rush, to try and clear coat my Ringmaster last Saturday.  Humidity was high, but I thought that , with extra retarder, I could still spray.  Wrong!!!  Plane looks like it was dipped in milk; about ready to shoot it black and call it a day.  I could really use some suggestions on how to deal with the blushing.

Brew H^^

Harold,

What type of paint did you use for the clear coat?

Charles
Trump Derangement Syndrome. TDS. 
Avaiojet Derangement Syndrome. ADS.
Amazing how ignorance can get in the way of the learning process.
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Offline Harold Brewer

• Lieutenant
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2016, 08:24:03 AM »
Charles - Everything is Brodak; paint and clear.  Used 3608S plus SIG retarder.

Brew H^^

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2016, 09:08:07 AM »
Hey Harold:

If you want to try out the search function, there's going to be lots of threads on curing this problem.  Search on "blush".

I am just regurgitating what I've read here (since my retread into control line I've been covering with 'coat), but the options are:

• Spray a coat of thinner + retarder
  • Or a coat of 80-90% thinner + retarder, the rest cleal
  • Or a normal coat of clear

The idea is that you thin out the clear that you have, which gives the water in it a chance to migrate out before the dope dries (it's water getting trapped in the dope that causes the blush in the first place).  This is best done under good conditions -- if you do it on a really humid day you'll just give the system another opportunity to trap some water.

That's what I know.  If Mark Scarborough, Billy Byles, or one of the other real painters on the forum contradict me -- they're right.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Just here for the fun of it also.
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2016, 10:00:17 AM »

Brew H^^

Brew H^^

Harold,

Couple of things. First off, most paint professionals don't mix brands. Sure, some modelers get away with doing this and swear by it, but it's not recommended.

I have no dope experience so I cannot offer a definite fix, but any paint can blush. Tim's advice is a good approach to the fix and will most likely fix the issue or improve grately what you have.

You could try a heat gun, you might get lucky. Sometimes it works.

If nothing works, black isn't all that bad of a color.

Good luck.

Charles
Trump Derangement Syndrome. TDS. 
Avaiojet Derangement Syndrome. ADS.
Amazing how ignorance can get in the way of the learning process.
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2016, 10:09:46 AM »
If you are in a hurry forget it.  Wait until conditions are right.   I put final coat of clear on my '13' out side the basement when temps were in the 60's and hardly any humidity.   Before this the pink covering was almost white with blush.   Next morning when I got up and checked the plane, it was back to the pink it was supposed to be and no blushes anywhere. 
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Serge_Krauss

• Admiral
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2016, 07:15:53 AM »
Spraying Brodak thinner in a light mist that descends to the surface has always worked for me. I don't think that doing this now in high humidity will damage anything.

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2016, 10:23:22 AM »
Most of the suggestions above are good. Remember that the "blush" is just water trapped in the clear. The idea is to soften the surface so that the water can escape.
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Harold Brewer

• Lieutenant
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2016, 07:15:08 AM »
Well, I decided to hit the Ringmaster with clear last weekend, hoping to eliminate the 'milk'.  I hit it with two coats of 20% clear. 20% retarder and the rest thinner.  To quote an old saying, she "shines like a pewter dollar in a mud hole!".  Plane looks great.  Thanks for the advice, guys.  BTW, probably didn't hurt that I drained a half gallon of water from the compressor tank.

Brew

;D

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here