News:

• May 07, 2024, 11:00:29 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Rustoleum on Film  (Read 661 times)

Offline Richard Koehler

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Lieutenant
Rustoleum on Film
« on: April 07, 2012, 08:08:15 PM »
I just finished trying Rustoleum over Ultracoat and it seems to have worked fine, but there is a problem.  The Rustoleum wicks under masking tape.  With a dope finish the trick is to seal the tape line with clear dope.  Is there a similar trick that works with Rustoleum?  Note that I did use hi-tac 3M tape and ran my fingernail over the tape edge before spraying.

Offline John Eyer

• Ensign
Re: Rustoleum on Film
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2012, 08:19:59 PM »
d
« Last Edit: November 22, 2012, 11:29:22 AM by John Eyer »

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2012, 08:25:12 PM »
Allen Brickhaus has been using Rustoleum over film for years, and recommends that you go ahead and use masking tape, but peel it off when the paint has only dried for an hour or so.  Then take a Q-tip and some mineral spirits, and very carefully clean up the stuff that leaks under the tape.

It works a charm.  It even works over Rustoleum, if the coat underneath has had a week or two to dry, and if you don't get too enthusiastic about scrubbing.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Richard Koehler

• Lieutenant
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2012, 07:47:16 PM »
Thanks for the reply.  I know Allen from Sig's contests and have seen his planes.  Now having experienced using Rustoleum I have even more respect for the quality of his planes.  I tried basically what you suggested before I posted using 98% isoproply alcohol and it helped.  I suspect mineral spirits would do a better job and I may try this after I try electrical tape which for reasons too long to go into I have a ton of.  Thanks again for the information.

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2012, 09:08:31 AM »
Spray lighter coats, that way it will set up before oozing under the edge of the tape. H^^
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Bob Reeves

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Somethin'Xtra Inc.
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2012, 10:43:22 AM »
Just use better tape.. Find a local automotive paint supplier and look for the 3M green fine line masking tape. It also comes in a blue variety but I like the green better. You can get it in widths from 1/16 to 1/2, I use 1/4 for most things. Do your outline with the fine line tape then use your regular masking tape to tape whatever you use to cover areas you don't want over spray on (aluminum foil, news paper) to the fine line tape.

Offline RDJeff

• Lieutenant
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2012, 09:35:57 AM »
This may sound weird, but I've been using Rustoleum protective enamel in the quart cans and applying it with a foam brush.  This is over Zinsser primer.  I sand after every layer, then just let the last one dry.  It looks pretty good, and when it is time for trim details, I just mask off the Monokote, scrub it with a 3M pad, wipe it down with actone, then brush the Rustoleum on.  Works a treat as the Brits say!

If someone will tell me how to post pictures, I'll try to put one up.

Offline phil c

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2012, 03:09:40 PM »
Try putting on a fogged on first coat, maybe 30-50% coverage.  Let it dry 10-15 minutes until it starts to tack up.  Then put on a second coat for full coverage.  The fogged coat blocks the edge of the tape and helps keep the full coat from wicking under the tape.  A full, wet coat is the absolute worst thing to encourage wicking.
phil Cartier

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here