News:

• May 08, 2024, 10:28:54 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Rivet Detail Disclosed!  (Read 1686 times)

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • Just here for the fun of it also.
Rivet Detail Disclosed!
« on: May 25, 2015, 01:37:53 PM »
I wasn't sure here to Post this Thread?

Possibly at Scale, but there's only three of us interested in scale that would see it. Yes, I'm kidding.  ;D

Allen Goff's fine scale model of the 172 got me thinking about rivet detail for my Mig-3.

So, I experimented with surface detail on the Mig-3. The test model.

I know I'm not the first to use a cutter to make rivets, I remember seeing an article some years ago on the process. I believe it was a 1/4 scale project, so the rivets were a bit larger but still cut using vinyl.

Size? I managed to reduce the size of these rivets to .07". Yes, it took some doing, but I managed to get it done.  HB~>

Gray rivets on white for a start. I did the elevator a bit differently because it's fabric covered on the Mig-3.

I'm thinking of spraying a colored top coat then a bit of 600 to expose the rivet detail.

Here's where I'm currently at. Color will be next.

Trump Derangement Syndrome. TDS. 
Avaiojet Derangement Syndrome. ADS.
Amazing how ignorance can get in the way of the learning process.
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Offline Glenn (Gravitywell) Reach

• Gravitywell
  • 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Rivet Detail Disclosed!
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2015, 03:51:50 PM »
Man....you really are a masochist! <=  Love it! H^^
Glenn Reach
Westlock, Alberta
gravitywell2011 @ gmail . com

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2015, 04:13:46 PM »
Glen,

Hey! Hey!

I think I would have said, "dedicated."  LL~
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Offline Dane Martin

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • heli pilot BHOR
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2015, 04:58:50 PM »
Pretty manly Charles. I'm liking this idea.
I did vinyl letters over clear dope, then sprayed red over the whole wing, then peeled the letters out. Cleared over everything so the bare wood grain was the letters.
This right here that you got going on is pretty bad @$$

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2015, 05:09:12 PM »
Pretty manly Charles. I'm liking this idea.
I did vinyl letters over clear dope, then sprayed red over the whole wing, then peeled the letters out. Cleared over everything so the bare wood grain was the letters.
This right here that you got going on is pretty bad @$$

"Great" Dane,

You used a vinyl "mask" material, correct?

Interesting that you did that. Creative.   H^^

The wood could also be stained prior to the clear coat.

Great idea.

Photo?

Offline Dane Martin

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • heli pilot BHOR
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2015, 05:48:27 PM »
Here is it as of now. This poor thing had survive a trip to and from Texas and my cousin crashing it a few times. Lol
It's my 4oz ringmaster 95 electric. Sorry, it's in bad condition now a days!

Offline frank mccune

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2015, 01:52:53 PM »
    WOW! A work of art!

Kindly continue posting your projects.

Stay well my friend.

Frank
« Last Edit: May 27, 2015, 03:32:43 PM by frank mccune »

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2015, 02:21:11 PM »
   WOW! A work of art!

Kindly continue posting your projects.

Stay well my friend.

Frank

Frank,

You're killing me!  LL~

There's a section in this Forum called,"Photo Gallery," you will see it at the top. There you can have a look at some really detailed models. Flying Art! The paint work on them is simply outstanding. And "outstanding" doesn't even describe what you will see.

Frank, In all honesty, I do tedious tasks, but nothing I can do even comes close to the quality of work you will see there at the Photo Gallery.

Please take a look. Anyone else that has never seen this line up of really spectacular work, you must take a look.

You won't be disappointed!
« Last Edit: May 27, 2015, 03:32:45 PM by Avaiojet »

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here