News:

• April 28, 2024, 10:41:56 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Repairing a boo-boo  (Read 2161 times)

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
Repairing a boo-boo
« on: August 30, 2008, 10:58:23 PM »
OK, here's a topic for discussion. I just shot the base color on my new plane. Unbeknownst to me, I have a couple of spots where I sanded through. Didn't show up, weirdly, when I shot the sealer coat over the primer. Anyway, they are just small cuts through the paper at the ribs (one on the stab and two on one elevator). So, what method do you use to fix these? I fixed them, but I'll keep the rather ugly method I used to myself for now. I'd like to hear what others do. More silkspan and re-fill? Something else?
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Repairing a boo-boo
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2008, 02:32:02 AM »
Silkspan and clear.  Tear the piece of silkspan, rather than cutting it.  That leaves a more gradual edge.  That's a tip from Bob Parker.
The Jive Combat Team
Making combat and stunt great again

Offline Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2008, 08:37:04 PM »
If they are on the bottom, quick and dirty, I just use Ambroid like we do in Free flight. Run a tiny bead, wipe it, let it dry. No one looks at the bottom. H^^

Good idea except things like this ALWAYS happen on the top!!!   HB~>  HB~>  HB~>
Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

As I've grown older, I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake!

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2008, 11:20:50 PM »
Yea, all my spots were on the top.  Sigh ....

I took some thick CA, ran a very small bead and used a piece of 1/64" ply to scrap over the effected area. Let it dry, sand a bit and put a very small bit of filler over it. Once dry, sand and reshoot color. Can't see the repair. Only thing I worry about is whether it will hold up. Guess we'll see.

Howard,

These are very small areas. cuts less than a 1/4" If bigger, the silkspan trick it really all that is available. And as far as tearing the silkspan, I do that when I cover the plane. No cut edges. As you note, it makes blending a LOT easier.
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Neville Legg

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2008, 04:21:10 AM »
I've taken to rounding off all edges where the soft covering i.e. tissue or silk,in the open bays, meets the hard edges of the balsa.
It's a bit time consuming but worth the effort.

Cheers    Neville
« Last Edit: September 06, 2008, 08:20:56 AM by Neville Legg »
"I think, therefore I have problems"

(not) Descartes

Offline Bootlegger

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2008, 03:52:38 PM »
  Guy's something that I have used is to put a small bead of Duco cement (wally world paint sect) then press a sheet of Saran Wrap (tm) on it and let dry. Most of the time pressing the saran wrap on it distributes the glue and gives a smooth area to re finish. 
    Might want to try on an older model first to get the hang of it.  This is an OLD Free Flight trick, and yes I am old...  No, not old, just been here a LOOOONG time... n~
8th Air Force Veteran
Gil Causey
AMA# 6964

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2008, 11:14:57 PM »
Well, in the end, it came out pretty well except one spot that kept opening back up. So I sanded it down again and used a little piece of silkspan over it, I used thick CA rubbed in to secure it and fill it. Sanded and a bit more CA and then repainted. Looks OK now.
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here