News:

• April 27, 2024, 03:06:27 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Removing auto clear  (Read 1804 times)

Online Matt Colan

• N-756355
  • AMA Member
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Removing auto clear
« on: June 28, 2023, 12:25:14 PM »
I am slowly working on removing the finish of the crashed SF23. As expected, the clear is impervious to acetone and thinner. Other than the best down of sanding the clear off,  does anyone have a good way of removing automotive clear that doesn’t wreck the wood underneath?
Matt Colan

Online Massimo Rimoldi

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
Re: Removing auto clear
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2023, 12:59:05 PM »
The only solvent that can quickly remove automotive clearcoat is dichloromethane (aka methylene chloride) but it is extremely toxic and dangerous.  It also has the tendency to remove all the resins it comes into contact with: varnishes, paints, glues, etc.  The use of mechanical means is much safer and allows you to better control the result.

Massimo

Online Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2023, 05:04:33 PM »
   Have you tried any of the aircraft paint strippers?? That may be your only hope besides a tall stack of sandpaper.
  Type at you later,
   Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2023, 06:39:46 PM »
Trained Squirrels are an option. I hear they come in pairs and work by the hour.
 LL~

I had to strip one covered in silkspan.  The silkspan was put on with dope.  I was able of get a corner of the finish raised then I wiped thinner into the crease and slowly pealed it off.  Might work on a fuselage.  If the clear is not too thin and too brittle, it might just work, but I doubt it.  Squirrels are faster.

Ken
AMA 15382
If it is not broke you are not trying hard enough.
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Online Matt Colan

• N-756355
  • AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2023, 06:57:24 PM »
   Have you tried any of the aircraft paint strippers?? That may be your only hope besides a tall stack of sandpaper.
  Type at you later,
   Dan McEntee

I haven’t tried it. I’m afraid of what it might do to the wood unless I hear otherwise
Matt Colan

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2023, 08:12:45 PM »
Matt,
Maybe touch base with a couple autobody shops and get recommendations from them since they deal with this stuff all the time. If you are stripping off covering like Ken said get a corner up then use regular thinner and a little heat from a heat gun to work the covering off.

Best,   DennisT

Online Matt Colan

• N-756355
  • AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2023, 08:50:55 PM »
Matt,
Maybe touch base with a couple autobody shops and get recommendations from them since they deal with this stuff all the time. If you are stripping off covering like Ken said get a corner up then use regular thinner and a little heat from a heat gun to work the covering off.

Best,   DennisT

The wings are mostly free of any covering. It’s the fuse that’s the part I’m working on. Heat may not be a bad idea to try
Matt Colan

Online Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2023, 09:53:19 PM »
I haven’t tried it. I’m afraid of what it might do to the wood unless I hear otherwise

If you are just wanting to remove clear, baby sit a small sample and see how long it takes to penetrate just the clear , and just into the base colors. Leave yourself just enough paint to sand down to the bare wood. My guess is it would only take about an hour to find out. Apply some, let it sit a bit, then poke around at it with a plastic spreader and if it softens, scrape that off right away.
  Type at you later,
   Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824

Offline kevin king

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2023, 12:24:20 AM »
I seen Dave Midgely remove auto paint with a a master airscrew razor plane. Looked like it worked well for him. It might be this one:

Online Massimo Rimoldi

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2023, 01:20:39 AM »

No problem with wood, no organic solvents change the resistance characteristics. But as previously mentioned, if it does not contain dichloromethane you will have little success, especially if the transparent layer is abundant.

Massimo

P.S.: the most common chemical product which modifies the mechanical characteristics of wood is ammonia (like many basic compounds) which solubilizes lignin.

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2023, 08:46:09 AM »

I would go with Massimo's idea, good old methylene chloride stripper. Wear heavy gloves, if it gets on your skin, it will hurt even after you wash it off, keep it away from the baby. I haven't tried it on all current clear, but Jasco Aircraft Epoxy stripper wlll remove K&B SuperPoxy, it has the best chance. It won't hurt the wood.

Brett

Offline doug coursey

• Commander
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2023, 10:56:39 AM »
I seen Dave Midgely remove auto paint with a a master airscrew razor plane. Looked like it worked well for him. It might be this one:

[/quote

IT REMOVED THE PAINT AND COVERING AT THE SAME TIME DOWN TO BARE WOOD
AMA 21449

Online Matt Colan

• N-756355
  • AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2023, 07:51:58 PM »
Thanks Brett and Massimo! Went to the store and got some paint stripper today with the good chemicals in it. Did a test on the bottom of the stab and it went very well!
Matt Colan

Online Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2023, 10:24:19 PM »
Thanks Brett and Massimo! Went to the store and got some paint stripper today with the good chemicals in it. Did a test on the bottom of the stab and it went very well!

You're welcome!

https://stunthanger.com/smf/paint-and-finishing/removing-auto-clear/

Type at you later,
   Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824

Offline Miotch

• Commander
« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2023, 04:52:04 PM »
Glad you got it to work.  I always sand it a bit to rough it up and then use paste stripper.  On the hard spots, I'll sometimes use a bit of heat and the edge of a plastic resin spreader.  The fragility of our planes make it much more difficult than something durable, like an electric guitar body.

Online Dave_Trible

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2023, 06:32:02 PM »
This thread is a little old but I just found I had the same problem.  I've avoided using the automotive clear coats for several reasons,  the most important having lived for years in an apartment building without a proper spray gun and the rather dangerous nature of 'death paint', especially in that setting.  Well now in the new house I decided it was time and not spending weeks sanding and rubbing dope sounded great!  So i bought the whole spray outfit,  special respirator, etc. and a gallon of Nason clear coat/activator.  I had two new ships ready to coat in preparation for the coming team trials.  I shot them both through a foggy eye protection only to discover they both had BAD orange peel.  Looked like the texture of a non-skid shower floor.  This stuff laughed at my attempts to wipe it down with acetone or lacquer thinner.  Sanding was useless.  I stuck them both behind the coach where I couldn't see them and checked my blood pressure-yep need to take a pill.
Long story short I stumbled upon Kleen Strip Premium Stripper while looking for something else at Walmart.  It says non-methylene Chloride formula.  Sounded a little safer than the death paint was.  I shot the airplane with the stuff.  It went from orange peel to cottage cheese in about ten minutes.  Then it was dry almost immediately.  This I sanded on today and removed about half the problem.  I'll shoot it again however many times I need to until I get down to something I can handle with acetone and sandpaper.  At least this stuff seems to have saved my pork behind.

Dave

The jury is out whether I'll use this stuff again.  I'll have to master the spray gun(s) I bought and do a lot of test spraying before I point the nozzle at a new airplane again...
AMA 20934
FAA Certificate FA3ATY4T94

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2023, 09:02:15 PM »

The jury is out whether I'll use this stuff again.  I'll have to master the spray gun(s) I bought and do a lot of test spraying before I point the nozzle at a new airplane again...

The experience has been that you have to thin it far more than they suggest, otherwise, you wind up with what you got, or a 16 ounce clear coat. The stuff Phil told us to use is the consistency of alcohol when thinned out.

Brett

Online Dave_Trible

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #17 on: August 11, 2023, 07:39:05 AM »
I've read and re-read most of the comments on the auto forums with most all the pros saying this is mostly a problem of gun settings and methods and they mostly suggest not to thin the stuff lest you have other problems.  Most say to back off the paint adjustment and up the pressure some.  I dunno.  I found the new pressure gauge and adjustment knob I attached to the base of the gun seems to do nothing.  I had to try and regulate the pressure at the compressor.  The vids I watched suggested 30 psi so that's what I did.  If I were to thin the stuff-with what?  They talk about reducer but little explanation.  I didn't see any offered from the product maker.  The stuff is already water thin or so it appears..........back to the remover.......

Dave
AMA 20934

Online Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #18 on: August 11, 2023, 01:01:10 PM »
I've read and re-read most of the comments on the auto forums with most all the pros saying this is mostly a problem of gun settings and methods and they mostly suggest not to thin the stuff lest you have other problems.  Most say to back off the paint adjustment and up the pressure some.  I dunno.  I found the new pressure gauge and adjustment knob I attached to the base of the gun seems to do nothing.  I had to try and regulate the pressure at the compressor.  The vids I watched suggested 30 psi so that's what I did.  If I were to thin the stuff-with what?  They talk about reducer but little explanation.  I didn't see any offered from the product maker.  The stuff is already water thin or so it appears..........back to the remover.......

Dave

Are you having problems shooting the Nason?? Several guys here have been usung it because of no need to reduce or thin. I think you have been talking with or emailing with Mark Hughes about an engine? Mark uses that system with good results. He's out of town until Monday but give him a call or drop him a line about it. He's just using common garage equipment and shooting in his garage, nothing esle special and I think he is following the manufacturers instructions to the letter.

Type at you later,
    Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824

Online Dave_Trible

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #19 on: August 11, 2023, 05:55:10 PM »
Thanks Dan.  I'll talk to Mark and see what he's doing.

Dave
AMA 20934

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here