News:

• May 09, 2024, 09:46:40 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Refinishing can be easy  (Read 607 times)

Offline EddyR

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Refinishing can be easy
« on: April 23, 2010, 06:02:35 AM »
Refinishing can be easy, SOMETIMES ~^ ~^ The covering on my small Tempest 560 sq" started to crack next to the ribs three months after it was built. A combination of very thin tissue the wrong primmer and to much sanding led to the problem.I lived with it for 18 months expecting the covering to collapse at ant time. The plane was mint with no fuel soaking so I went ahead and wiped off the color with thinner and cut out the old tissue over the open panels only.I didn't remove the tissue on any wood. This is the first time I have not removed the tissue from the entire wing to do a recovering.It was very easy and fast compared to the recovering the entire wing.This plane was always nose heavy with the ST.46 in it so I shortened the nose and now can run a 2" spinner. Plane is the same weight as before but no longer requires tail weight. One thing I did change was getting rid of the long removable cowl and closed in the nose with a very small removable cowl.This Tempest was built from a Vector ARF with the long removable cowl hatch. I used Dupli-Color just like the original finish but used Sig clear as a top coat. Dupli-color clear never got as hard as dope. Dupli-Color in the quart can comes out very flat as it is made to be covered with a top coat.It is very easy to spray and dries quit slow compared to dope so it flows out nicely.
Ed   NOTE  the Cream color and the white look the same in the picture but they are very different HB~>
Locust NC 40 miles from the Huntersville field

Offline Steve Fitton

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Refinishing can be easy
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2010, 06:27:30 AM »
Wow Eddy, that turned out awesome!  Are you going to have it at Huntersville?
Steve

Offline Larry Fulwider

• Commander
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2010, 08:15:53 AM »
Wow Eddy, that turned out awesome!  Are you going to have it at Huntersville?

Ed is not only an excellent builder, he is a master re-builder / re-furbisher. His AA Sr has had maybe three fuselages?

Larry Fulwider

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2010, 09:28:05 AM »
In the pictures it looks like a satin finish which to me is better to look at. :)  I love it #^ #^ #^.  Now can I bring all my planes over for refinishing? LL~ LL~ LL~ H^^
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline EddyR

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2010, 02:53:25 PM »
 Steve  -  Yes I will have it at Huntersville. Maybe even fly it on Sunday. Many times refinishing is worse than building new but this one was very easy. The bottom is a totaly different design. Wheel pants need a little trim color. Also the gear looked better with the red overspray on it. Maybe I will paint it red.
  John -Just stop by any time y1
EddyR
Locust NC 40 miles from the Huntersville field

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here