News:

• May 09, 2024, 02:08:56 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: recommendation for neon green paint  (Read 1261 times)

Online bill bischoff

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
recommendation for neon green paint
« on: July 11, 2013, 02:18:35 PM »
I am looking for some paint to approximately match neon green Monokote. I need less than an ounce, so I don't really want to buy a whole quart of auto paint. I will be painting over Klasskote epoxy paint, and plan to top coat the green with Klasskote clear. Anybody have any recommendations?

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: recommendation for neon green paint
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2013, 02:22:39 PM »
Do the Randy Powell thing and have your Monocoat color-matched at an auto paint store with universal pigment powder.  He tells them to just sell him an empty quart or pint can with the powder in it, then he takes it home and fills the can with clear to get his paint.

You should be able to spoon out just enough to get what you want.

Or, try mixing yellow and blue and a touch of white -- but you may never get it quite right that way.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2013, 03:07:30 PM »
For lime green you can do this: paint the plane white then shoot clear with House of Kolor Kandy Koncentrate Organic Green mixed in. I can tell you that what you get shooting this over white is screaming lime green. I suspect you can mix the candy concentrate into KlassKote too. I've mixed it with dope and with catalyzed polyurethane without issue.
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Online bill bischoff

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2013, 04:37:57 PM »
What kind of quantity does this come in, where does one buy it, and how much should it cost? I'm not checked out on House of Kolor.

BB

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2013, 09:44:20 PM »
Kandy Kolors from House of Kolor come in small bottles (range from $10-$15). doesn't take much to do the job.

Check this: http://www.tcpglobal.com/hokpaint/
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2013, 11:50:13 PM »
be adviosed,, Neon ANYTHING< paint, monokote or otherwise will be very transient, even with UV blocking urethane clear,, it wont stay pretty for long,, great for race planes and such, but not sure about a stunter where it gets judged for pretty,,
For years the rat race had me going around in circles, Now I do it for fun!
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2013, 09:55:02 AM »
Mark,

That was one of the reasons I recommended the Kandy Koncentrate stuff. Holds up well in the sun.

Paul Walker painted a plane, years ago, with what was supposed to be neon red and neon yellow. Apart from the fact that it came out pink and chartreuse (a function of base color, I imagine), it faded fairly quickly.
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Online bill bischoff

• Admiral
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2013, 03:30:46 PM »
The"neon-ness" isn't a big issue, just a fairly close color will do. Some variety of Kawasaki green will probably be close. And yes, it is on a Goodyear racer rather than a stunt ship. The plane received neon green monokote graphics just to get it ready for the Nats, but the bottom 1/4 of the fuselage is supposed to be the same color. I would also not be opposed to peeling the graphics off and painting them so everything matches. Besides the stick-on graphics, the plane is solid white Klasskote.

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2013, 09:51:14 PM »

How about Brodak Lime Green?
Narrowly averting disaster since 1964! 

Wayne Willey
Albert Lea, MN U.S.A. IC C/L Aircraft Modeler, Ex AMA member

Offline Allan Perret

• Admiral
  • Proverbs
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2013, 07:26:17 AM »
be adviosed,, Neon ANYTHING< paint, monokote or otherwise will be very transient, even with UV blocking urethane clear,, it wont stay pretty for long,, great for race planes and such, but not sure about a stunter where it gets judged for pretty,,
What do you mean by "transient" relative to paints, same as transparent or something else ?
Allan Perret
AMA 302406
Slidell, Louisiana

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2013, 11:24:56 AM »
What do you mean by "transient" relative to paints, same as transparent or something else ?
No,, the pigment fades,, the brilliance will decrease until its a milky green...

same happens to reds in the bright sun,, without UV clear,, the pigment is for lack of a better word, fragile
For years the rat race had me going around in circles, Now I do it for fun!
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2013, 12:18:11 PM »
You see this with died finishes a lot. Dave Fitz did a Stargazer a number of years ago with a transparent blue finish. I think he used Higgins inks (could have been something else). It very quickly faded to a sort of gray since it did not have a UV protectant over it. Even if it had, some pigments can be very unstable.
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Jim Kraft

• Admiral
  • AMA78415
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2013, 09:06:02 AM »
I used some orange plastic die on one of my Humongous's, and it kind of faded to a purple in places. I ended up painting in with orange dope. It sure looked cool for awhile though.
Jim Kraft

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here