News:

• April 30, 2024, 10:37:42 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Re covering assembled plane question  (Read 527 times)

Offline Tom Schwartz

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Ensign
Re covering assembled plane question
« on: October 07, 2013, 02:56:27 PM »
Ok, forgive my dumb questions, but... let's suppose I have an ARF that the covering is coming loose or I damaged a plane and made the required repairs except for the covering. How do you re-cover a fuselage when the wing-stab-rudder is still attached? I can see how you might be able to re cover a wing, but.... Do you have to cut the plane apart?     
As a side note, I have watched lots of videos on covering planes, but they are all conveniently dis-assembled. I would like to attempt to re-cover a few planes, and I don't mind wasting some 'cote to learn how.
Thanks

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Re covering assembled plane question
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2013, 06:37:45 PM »
First step: cry?

Oh, wait.

If the covering is coming loose by the surface, then nail it back down again with an iron.

If you're doing a repair in that area (and if it makes sense), then don't strip the covering all the way up to the surface: leave half an inch or so around each hard part, then cover with the same color.

You can, if you're patient and you're willing to throw away failed attempts, trim covering exactly around things like that and iron it down right up to the surface.  It's a pain in the patootie, though.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Phil Krankowski

• Admiral
Re: Re covering assembled plane question
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2013, 02:21:33 PM »
Just cover the surfaces that need covered...  It's not that hard.  Never knew there was another way till I found this stuff on the internets...

Start from the least accessible area and move to the more accessible areas.  So along the fuse (or maybe 1/2 inch from the fuse) then the LE, tighten to the TE, finish the wingtip.  Flip over, cut anything needing cut, fuse, LE, TE, wingtip. 

I haven't covered fuselages so no help there.  Control surfaces are easier off the airplane, but not entirely impossible on the airplane if there is a wire or something joining the halves so cutting it free doesn't make it come off...

Phil

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here