News:

• May 02, 2024, 02:52:55 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Rattle-Can Nozzle Clog  (Read 1024 times)

Offline Larry Fulwider

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
Rattle-Can Nozzle Clog
« on: September 14, 2009, 08:30:56 AM »
Last night, I was painting some prop tips with Rust-O-Leum. The nozzle clogged when I turned the can upside down to clean it. The rattle can nozzle looked the same (the can end) as the nozzle on a can of carburetor cleaner (pic below).
   Sticking the paint nozzle on the carb cleaner can cleared the clog in a hurry, and cleaned the nozzle far better than just the air from an upside down can.

This is almost certainly not an original idea, but I’ve never seen it published, so decided to post it.

Larry Fulwider

Offline Jim Kraft

• Admiral
  • AMA78415
Re: Rattle-Can Nozzle Clog
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2009, 11:41:13 AM »
Great idea Larry; Thanks.
Jim Kraft

Offline Alex Givan

• Ensign
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2009, 08:59:24 AM »
   Wow!  Those APC 12.25X3.75 props dyed black with white tips look very cool.  That's a great idea and would give my aircraft a better look, I think I may copy that.

Offline Jim Oliver

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2009, 04:56:27 PM »
Larry,

I just pull the nozzle off and dunk it in a 1/2 oz. cup of acetone for a bit, then attach a short piece of fuel line and blow it clear for next use.  No propellent is wasted......... H^^

Jim
Jim Oliver
AMA 18475

Offline Larry Fulwider

• Commander
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2009, 07:56:04 PM »
Larry,

I just pull the nozzle off and dunk it in a 1/2 oz. cup of acetone for a bit, then attach a short piece of fuel line and blow it clear for next use.  No propellent is wasted......... H^^

Jim

Yeah, in general, I usually "dunk and blow" rattle can nozzles, like you describe -- lacquer thinner or acetone, whatever is handy. This was so quick, even with such a total blockage clog, I think I'll keep a can of the carb cleaner handy. That is, I couldn't blow this one clear with fuel line (old lungs, I guess ;))

Larry Fulwider

Offline Jim Oliver

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2009, 08:21:39 PM »
I have been known to save nozzles from empty cans for future use.............

Jim
Jim Oliver
AMA 18475

Offline Rudy Taube

• Ret Flyboy
  • 2018 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2009, 09:00:55 PM »
Hi Larry,

Thank you for the good idea. Good timing, I will be "can" painting my plane next week. :-)

I don't want to get this thread off topic, but how did you dye the APC props? Did you use Ritz dye and do it like we dye our canopies but a little longer? Or......? ..... TIA for your ans.
Rudy
AMA 1667

Offline Ward Van Duzer

• Admiral
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2009, 11:21:42 AM »
Don't lose sight of the fact that new nozzles are available at the various Depots. Also available in round spray patterns, and flat, both vertical and horizontal!

Ward-O
I hate spelling errors, you mess up 2 letters and you are urined!

Don't hesitate to ask dumb questions.
They are easier to handle than dumb mistakes!  Ward-O AMA 6022

Offline Larry Fulwider

• Commander
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2009, 05:54:51 PM »
. . .  how did you dye the APC props? Did you use Ritz dye and do it like we dye our canopies but a little longer? Or......? ..... TIA for your ans.

Rudy --

I stole the prop dying idea from Jimmy Welch, who is a darned innovative guy! Jimmy had been playing around with making 3 blade CF props, but I was surprised to see what appeared to be a CF two blade, a clone of the APC 12.25 x 3.25, on one of his planes. Turns out, it was no clone, but a dyed APC! Jimmy proceeded to tell me about dying APCs.
   It is pretty simple, actually. Buy Rit (not Ritz, those are crackers ;D) liquid dye, and follow the directions! Jimmy says the salt is the key to permanence.
   The Rit directions are for people dying pounds and washer loads of things. I found about 3 quarts of water covers a batch of props in a big skillet, so figured out these proportions – scaled down from Rit large batch directions:
   1 oz dye
   2 tbsp salt
   3 quarts of water

I kept the skillet on the burner for ½ hour after it started to simmer, and stirred the whole time. This was my first try, so I can’t say what I did was right. The dye seems deep enough scratching the color off doesn’t seem a problem. The dye penetrates pretty well, so somebody (like John Rakes) should try purple.
   There was some rice in the salt. I now have some of the blackest, weirdest looking rice ever seen.

Larry Fulwider

Edit: PS: Thanks, all, for the related tips on nozzles. I didn't know about the fan shaped nozzles, for example.

Online Mike Scholtes

• Admiral
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2009, 06:44:57 PM »
Paint nozzles: If all else fails, Home Depot sells packs of replacement nozzles in the paint dept. On using carb cleaner, you ARE wearing safety goggles and rubber gloves, right? That stuff is extremely poisonous and a shot of it into the eyes under pressure would mean a trip to the emergency room and making friends with an eye surgeon. I had this happen, so no kidding about this one. Does clean carburetors nicely.

Dyeing props: The powdered Rit black works well, better than the liquid variety according to the craft store person. I put a pack into boiling water in a glass baking tray and let the props sit in it overnight. Did 8 props at once. The mix merely needs to cover the pile of props. Result was not a glossy black, but pretty good. People  have asked me where I got the carbon APC too!

Offline Rudy Taube

• Ret Flyboy
  • 2018 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2009, 08:05:40 PM »
Hi Larry,

Thank you for the "how to". Your friend is right, the salt is key. We found this out when we started dyeing our large canopies. I dyed them in a metal garbage can on our outdoor grill. Without the salt it worked poorly, with salt they were perfect and lasted for decades.

Do you (or anyone out there?) know if the long hot water bath has any negative impact on the APC props?

BTW: I did mean "Ritz" dye, I was going for the Ritz cracker "Safety Orange" color!   n~   LL~

Thanks again for your help.

Regards,   H^^
« Last Edit: September 18, 2009, 08:43:24 PM by Rudy Taube »
Rudy
AMA 1667

Offline Russell Shaffer

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2009, 10:39:22 PM »
If your Rustoleum can repeatedly plugs the nozzle and you can't get it spraying after several tries,  take a spare nozzle, pry the little orfice out and then use the big hole to clear the paint tube.  Then put a spray nozzle back and try it again.  I think the heavy pigment clogs the delivery tube inside the can and it is very hard to clear it with a small orfice.  I worked for me the other day. 
Russell Shaffer
Klamath Falls, Oregon
Just North of the California border

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here